Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gymmonster

Muscularity and Agility...is there correlation?

I knew around grade 10/11 that I had stopped growing for good and I was unfortunately not blessed with height.

Because of this, starting in grade 11 I started to weight train religiously in an attempt to compensate for my lack of height by being bigger.

I'm now 21 and I don't train to gain mass anymore, but rather, I'm considering trying to lose muscle mass now to regain agility....or this is my thinking at least.

Does anyone out there have suggestions as to exercises you could do at home or at the gym to improve your overall agility? I know Theo Flury was about my height and weighed in at around...i think 180 lbs? And he was super agile and quick......

If it helps, I'm 5'7, weigh in at about ~165lbs and have a body fat percentage of about 12%. I find that I have to buy equipment, such as elbow pads, that are a size too big for me because of this :(

Was Fleury really 180 or was that his "list" weight?

Other than that I think traditionally agility and muscularity don't go together. Kinda like the Hulk vs. Spiderman.

Other than that I think traditionally agility and muscularity don't go together.  Kinda like the Hulk vs. Spiderman.

Tell that to martin st. louis or michael vick or adam archuleta.

I can't agree with that, Kovalev and Jagr are 230 lbs + and they are the 2 most skilled player in the NHL.

Other than that I think traditionally agility and muscularity don't go together.  Kinda like the Hulk vs. Spiderman.

Yeah because those guys are Mr. Olympia candidates right?

Vick is sinewy, like spiderman. Spiderman's no wuss. He's lean cut and stringy, but not a toothpick.

And I've never seen St. Louis w/o his full gear but I'm sure he's doesn't have an overly muscular body.

But as chippa just said you can usually get the better of both worlds if you train right.

I'd split your exercises, so they sorta look like:

Monday - Cardio and Flexibility

Tuesday - Strength and Conditioning

Wednesday - Cardio and Flexibility

Thursday - Strength and Conditioning

Friday - Cardio and Flexibility

Just find which area/s you're feeling that you need to improve and work primarily on that.

I can't agree with that, Kovalev and Jagr are 230 lbs + and they are the 2 most skilled player in the NHL.

I was agreeing with you kov. Vick is strong. There is no one who's weak who can sprint like him... I think I read St. Louis is 180... and in like a 5' 8" frame that is JACKED.

Archuleta is fast and mobile and strong. He's also a beast.

i think it depends where your weight is ,im 15 ,5'7'' and just about hit 190 pounds but its mainly in my hams glutes and quads. Im very fast and speed is definitly the best part of my game .i think if all my weight was spread out all over my body and not just in my legs it would be different.

hmmmm

I think im evenly proportioned.

Right now I do weight training 3 times a week plus cardio on the off days and then I have hockey camp on sundays right now and then 1 game a week.

My bench has dropped crazy.....6 months ago I was reppin 245 lbs and now I'm down to about 205 because I'm trying to slim down. My chest was 41 inches now it's 37....but when I use to wegiht train I wouldn't do much cardio because I was skating for games and practice so I never thought it was that necessary but that all changed about a year ago.....

thanks for the input so far guys, much appreciated

If I were you, I would enroll in some Judo classes to learn how to leverage my short height and strength into creaming taller guys. It is very hard for a tall guy to throw a short guy, but fairly easy for a short guy to throw a tall guy, if you know what you are doing. About 40% of what you learn in judo applies to hockey checking.

speaking of workouts, I just made this a few days ago for myself. I am probably going to focus more on making sure to do the stretching daily and the quickness type stuff. All info may not be accurate on there, but it is fine for me.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/5380/workout0026wk.jpg

I like how you display it on paper, nice...

Thanks Kovy...All that college coming in handy.

Anyways, it kills me to leave off squats, but I just don't have the equipment for it. I am not one who likes a surplus of weight training exercises and I don't think you need them. Power cleans, Lunges, can work a lot of parts and I like that. But added squats, it would be perfect.

Especially since those three are moreso "in motion" exercises, which are always better then ones where you just lay or sit there doing something.

I'm impress by your program, sure squat is a great exercise for hockey but lunges are great too. In your strenght training, you work pretty much every muscle group, the only thing I would add is a back exercise.