Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Norm

Frustrated Pickup

Long story short:

I live in Delaware and (as far as I can tell) there aren't 12 guys in this whole freaking state that can get it together enough to show up for a game of pickup.

And what's so crazy is that since one of the guys that actually WILL show up is a supervisor at the rink and gets the ice for $120 an hour AND since we play at night AND are the last group on the ice AND its technically his job to tell us to get off the ice, cut the ice, and turn off the lights so we end up playing for darn near close to 2 hours (which as I'm sure you know is WAAAAY to much time to be huffin it); the game stops because folks literally can't play anymore.

WHY?!?! Why can't we can't find just 12 (to keep it at $10 a person) folks to come out and play? ARRGGHHH!!!

Sorry to rant....

That's a great rate. Rates are $200 - $250 per hour in the Denver area. Even worse in Southern Cal -- a couple of the Anaheim rinks told me $350 per hour.

Are there roller leagues around to which you could market?

I wouldn't complain about having that much time for pickup. Around here (Los Angeles) the rinks are pretty nazi-ish about the ice, once your time is up you have to get the fuck off.

I used to play roller pickup for free everyday after school for like 4 hours. Some of the best of times!

Long story short:

I live in Delaware and (as far as I can tell) there aren't 12 guys in this whole freaking state that can get it together enough to show up for a game of pickup.

And what's so crazy is that since one of the guys that actually WILL show up is a supervisor at the rink and gets the ice for $120 an hour AND since we play at night AND are the last group on the ice AND its technically his job to tell us to get off the ice, cut the ice, and turn off the lights so we end up playing for darn near close to 2 hours (which as I'm sure you know is WAAAAY to much time to be huffin it); the game stops because folks literally can't play anymore.

WHY?!?! Why can't we can't find just 12 (to keep it at $10 a person) folks to come out and play? ARRGGHHH!!!

Sorry to rant....

Where at in Delaware?

That's a great rate. Rates are $200 - $250 per hour in the Denver area. Even worse in Southern Cal -- a couple of the Anaheim rinks told me $350 per hour.

Hey salming you live in Denver? What rink do you play at?

Long story short:

Sorry to rant....

Go to South Jersey for pickup...

Long story short:

Sorry to rant....

Where at in Delaware?

Where IS Delaware :rolleyes:

its that patch of land that neither NJ or MD could give away to one another

Smells like Philly too.

I wish I had the problem of not enough people at pick up. Shit, we're even having too many goalies show up for pickup at my school. Last Wednesday there were over 40 people there and 3 goalies, we had to ask people to leave because there was no way we were going to have 4 full lines of players per team to play pickup.

Forsberg, I generally play pickups at Foothills or Apex. I was in the RMHL through last season, which also plays at South Suburban, but I'm not playing on a team this year.

I have been doing pickups @ Big Bear and lately and it hasn't been that good. What days are good for playing @ Foothills?

It depends on your schedule, of course.

I skate with the Police & Firemen at 9:15 AM on Tuesdays or Thursdays (usually Thursday) -- they've opened it to the 'civilians' -- but there's a pickup following that at 11:15 AM which seems to fill up.

There is also a Friday night pickup at 10:30 that supposedly fills up quickly, but I haven't gone to that in a number of years.

Long story short:

Sorry to rant....

Where at in Delaware?

Univ of Delaware. We try to get together on Fridays at 10PM. That's when everyone says is best, but they still can't seem to make it.

You wanna come out?

We're a pretty motley group. Some rank beginners, some B level Men's Rec guys. Some youngsters still in college, some old farts trying to reclaim their youth.

But all in all just really nice guys (and a few girls) that wanna get some good exercise and have fun and keep their teeth.

If I lived in Delaware...(or had a plane) I'd be there on a regualr basis.

Bonus question:

"Delaware...Yeah...I'm in Delaware" (what movie???????)

Bonus question:

hmmmm, don't know.

The only movie connection the folks from Delaware (and mind I'm from Ohio; I just line in Delaware) claim is that Fight Club was set here.

But HEY!! We got no sales tax!

yippee

Bonus question:

hmmmm, don't know.

The only movie connection the folks from Delaware (and mind I'm from Ohio; I just line in Delaware) claim is that Fight Club was set here.

But HEY!! We got no sales tax!

yippee

I'll let a few more guesses go, before I post the answer...(and hopefully I'm right).

Forsberg, I generally play pickups at Foothills or Apex. I was in the RMHL through last season, which also plays at South Suburban, but I'm not playing on a team this year.

Ahh. I've played at those rinks. I hate Apex's ice, and locker rooms.

Bonus question:

Wayne's World.. 1 or 2.. Can't remember..

Long story short:

Sorry to rant....

Where at in Delaware?

Univ of Delaware. We try to get together on Fridays at 10PM. That's when everyone says is best, but they still can't seem to make it.

You wanna come out?

We're a pretty motley group. Some rank beginners, some B level Men's Rec guys. Some youngsters still in college, some old farts trying to reclaim their youth.

But all in all just really nice guys (and a few girls) that wanna get some good exercise and have fun and keep their teeth.

If you're all university students, no wonder nobody is showing up!

Long story short:

Sorry to rant....

Where at in Delaware?

You wanna come out?

I might try to check it out. I live right near the Delaware border so it's not too far. The only thing for me is that I play every Saturday morning around 5:00 AM so Friday nights might be a little tough.

If you want, PM me the time and details and I will pass it along to some guys I know who are looking for ice time.

Bonus question:

Wayne's World.. 1 or 2.. Can't remember..

ding ding ding ding...I think it's 2...but yes...Wayne's World is correct.