Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

khockey#3

what cut do you like on your skates

Anybody have any general guidelines on what hollow people at different weights should be skating on? something like:

75 - 5/16"

100 - 3/8"

125 - 7/16"

150 - 1/2"

175 - 9/16"

200 - 5/8"

is that accurate?

Lord I hope not, because I would probably need a reverse/convex "hollow".

mine was at a 5/16 but its slightly shallower now

You better not weigh more than 75 pounds

im so used to it i cant change, im 5'9" 168 and defense, i would like to change cause it will probley make me faster but whenever i have like a 1/2 i cant go hard in the turns at all.

The one thing no one has mentioned here is skating skill. Sure, heavier people can use a shallower hollow, since their weight makes the edge dig in more. ALSO people with strong ankle muscles and the skill to use their edges can get away with a flatter hollow and still make the tight turns. If you are losing an edge on a flatter hollow but like the increased speed, then try working on your edges.

There are specific drills you can do to work on edges. You might have seen someone doing them at an open skate. You make a half circle on one skate, and then another half circle on the other skate, and repeat all the way around the rink. You do it all on the outside edge. Then you do some only on the inside edge. Then do them again going backwards. Get a good figure skating instructor to show you how.

Once you can do stuff like go from one end of the rink to the other on one skate without touching down with the other, then you know how to use your edges.

24mm / 1" hollow, on a pretty long radius rocker at the moment. I can still cut because of the way I lean the skates over. I'm also a lightweight (165 lbs).

I think hollow and rocker should go together with weight and skating style, if anybody is making a table. Weight and hollow don't take the other two variables into account.

E.g. I saw on the smarthockey web site that they recommend 11' radius for most adults, and 13' for most kids, but I think that's not taking style into account.

I've also noticed that most of the pros seem to be using larger rockers now (from pictures of their skate blades and holders), whereas in the '80s most had banana blades. I have heard that they are also flattening their hollows.

I'm on a 9.5/10.5 radius with a 1/32'' forward pitch and a 5/8'' hollow. This seems to be the best for me, however I have been playing with an 11'' hollow. Can't quite get used to it yet. I also want to try a shallower hollow, but not until the weather warms up maybe.

yeah generally skates come with a 1/2 which is more for beginners and women who are under 130 lbs. for heavier or more skilled players 5/8 will be the way to go, it depends on what you like though

i'm 120 lbs and skate on a 5/8" radius, for the ice around here it is perfect. Also i enjoy having my edge last a little longer because it is shallower. A stone really helps too.

It chatters if the cut is too deep. If it is chattering at 1/2", try going to 5/8" for instance.

I usually just keep going flatter and flatter until my kid starts falling down on the tight corners (ie losing an edge)--then I back off the a slightly deeper cut and leave it there for a year. Then next year I try to get him happy with a little flatter.

If you have strong ankles and skating skill, a heavy player should be able to handle a very flat cut (like 3/4") without losing an edge. The flatter the cut, the faster and longer you can skate (less drag)!

He is currenlty at 11/16".

I sat right next to where the Dallas Stars equipment manager was standing last night and talked to him about this subject. Modano and Arnott get a 1" hollow...

I sat right next to where the Dallas Stars equipment manager was standing last night and talked to him about this subject. Modano and Arnott get a 1" hollow...

thats cus they huge, iggie n sakic use 5/8s

im 177, (was 185, but dropped to 170 mid season, hoping to get back to 185 soon)

and im skating on 11ft, nuetral pitch, and 5/8s, (was using 3/4)

I tried 3/4 today and at first it felt a little slippery but by the end of the skating session I was doing all my normal turns just fine and I noticed I had a speed increase as well. Also, I never caught an edge and fell like I sometimes do when I'm really pushing myself when doing quick 360 turns.

I plan on continuing to try 3/4 and once I'm use to it, pushing to a full inch.

I don't know how my bro does but he uses 7/8'' for about 4 months at 175 lbs and he doesnt find it slippery, he even want to try 1'' next time we get them sharpened.

I don't know how my bro does but he uses 7/8'' for about 4 months at 175 lbs and he doesnt find it slippery, he even want to try 1'' next time we get them sharpened.

I use a 7/8 hollow on a 9 foot radius but I am 290lbs. I am thinking about going to a 7 foot radius though.

I tried 3/4 today and at first it felt a little slippery but by the end of the skating session I was doing all my normal turns just fine and I noticed I had a speed increase as well. Also, I never caught an edge and fell like I sometimes do when I'm really pushing myself when doing quick 360 turns.

I plan on continuing to try 3/4 and once I'm use to it, pushing to a full inch.

how big are you man, 1" seems crazy to me

I've gone with 7/8" on my last couple skating sessions and it feels pretty good. I weigh a tad more than your bro. I think this is where I will level off. We'll see how the next couple games go.