Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

delpiero81

Racism in Italian Hockey

Recently an italian player (Daniele Veggiato of Alleghe team) has been excluded forever from the Italian National team for sayng racist words to another hockey player during last game vs Cortina team (sorry for bad english cant do any better :( ).

For what i know it's something pretty new in Italian hockey and i agree with the tipe of punishment (the guy received also a game penalty and maybe some game suspension but too early to know).

Has something similar happened in N.A.? Sorry but cant see too much NHL here...

Does such a bad behaviour punished in N.A.? Or what the players says to each other it's their own businness?

Again sorry for the bad english...

More info can be found on www.hcalleghe.com , but it's in italian...

Seems like recently a lot of that shit is going on in Italy (especially the northern parts). Most of that happened in soccer, though where people seem to discover the Hitler salute to celebrate goals. They didn´t get banned or punished..... :blink:

The other player was cortina defenseman Luca Zandonella, it seems that the other player sayd repeatedly bad words about his skin.

The soccer thing it's not about northern part but about the south/center of Italy, Lazio supporters are so influent that Lazio team cant have colured/black/whatever yousayinenglish players.

The soccer player that salute Lazio supporters with "roman salute" ,not Hitlers, it's Paolo Di Canio.

They fined him and the team but not as much of a punition...

It started all with riots between Livorno (comunist) and Lazio (fascist) supporters, then a Livorno player salute with the comunist salute and Che Guevara shirt, then Di Canio salute with fascist salute, then this year Livorno supporters trow a bomb against Lazio team bus, then Di Canio salute again with the fascist salute...

When you mix politics (if we can call it politics... i think a more right word is ideology. Mmmh better word is total stupidity) with sports the result is serious crap... and a shame to sport.

How they can call them fans or supporters... to me they are only idiot and criminals...

Edit the photo of the other guy it's on cortina main page of the website:

www.sgcortina.org

Soccer has a problem with Racism, Cirtain clubs in the Uk are known for it. Recently in a Spain Vs England game, Whenever a black player was on the ball the crowd would make monkey chants! Also Thierry Henry refuses to play for France becasue of a Racism comment the mannager made about him. :blink:

So far in ice hockey I personally have never had anyone say anything racist towards me. If anyone does i will be sure to drop the gloves to let em know how i feel about it! :angry:

Sorry to double post.

Now the Alleghe player, and also the team, apologize for what happen, but they say also that he was provoked.

Provoked? To me this are s**tty excuses, if he has been provoked why he didnt fight or even cheapshot him for example.

Anyway the referee trow him out of the game due to continuos racist word/sentence to the other player.

It must be something bad because normally referees close an eye if players says bad words to each other; to resolve that kind of discussion usually there is fighting...

Sorry to double post.

Now the Alleghe player, and also the team, apologize for what happen, but they say also that he was provoked.

Provoked? To me this are s**tty excuses, if he has been provoked why he didnt fight or even cheapshot him for example.

Anyway the referee trow him out of the game due to continuos racist word/sentence to the other player.

It must be something bad because normally referees close an eye if players says bad words to each other; to resolve that kind of discussion  usually there is fighting...

I agree! Even if he was provoked thats not how u settle it! I hope this player doesn't get off lightly! :blink:

I am a loyal Lazio supporter and have been since about 6yrs old. Love the team. It's a classy organization. There's always the stupid group of supporters that ruin everything. I understand players too have their own beliefs views, but please don't express them especially where you know it's going to provoke sensitive issue. I could go without Dicanio after this.

This craps gotta stop. The Messina-Inter game where Zoro was reduced to tears because of name calling by supporters of Inter MIlan of which 95% of their team is non Italian players. This just shows that there are a few ignorant assholes who have to be stopped along with players promotting it like Dicanio and Luccarelli.

I think it is interesting and commendable that they put principles above winning. If only other nations would do the same.

Sport judge has give him 5 games suspension, initially were 6 games but has been reduced due to public and private apologize that the player has done after the game.

Still not to much in my opinion.

Roadrunner - Sure there are a lot of true Lazio supporters, but the people (better words are criminal or idiots) that go to the stadium "Olimpico" are a lot and are the most active "supporters" if we can call them supporters...

When all the "olimpico" stadium boo their OWN player just because of his skin... :angry: and no one says anithing... :angry: then it's a shame for sport and my nation and also for the loyal and true supporters that feel bad for this (Fabio Liverani a very good player in my opinion)

Chadd- maybe because we are not strong in Hockey, and people who play and watch they do for the love of hockey and not for money, just see our soccer national team were press tried to defend Totti for spitting on another player....

If another player provoked you score a goal not spit on him...

delpiero81- I'm not in Italy so I don't know how it is exactly but are you saying that most Lazio supporters in Rome/Italy are fascists? If so does the organization support it? Or how come they haven't done anything about it.

Also wanted to ask you if this behaviour is carried out in other oraganizations like A.S Roma or Juventus.

I agree with Chadd, if I interpetred his hint right...

The Italiens ban a player from their national team due to an verbal outburst, while another country selects a player who should be baned from all hockey.... :angry:

I think atleast a guy called moore whould agree with me, it's a bloody disgrace. :angry:

Deathmoves you havent a clue Im afraid.

Racism is English football is almost non-existent.

To suggest that Henry does not wish to play for France due to racist comments!!!!!!!!

Please stick with the facts.

To suggest that Henry does not wish to play for France due to racist comments!!!!!!!!

The fact i made about Henry is true. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=352238&cc=5739

You have no idea m8!

Please stick with the facts B)

Just coz u dont hear it (Or dont wish to hear it) dont mean its not there bobbyorio!!!

Yes, there have been accusations of similar behavior in the NHL. I can't remember too many specifics, I know Chris Simon was accused of making racial slurs against a black player (can't remember whom - Anson Carter ?) which is curious because Simon is Native. THere were other incidents.

There was lots of anti-European rhetoric at one point (e.g. guys like Salming were frequently taunted with "chicken Swede"), which has surely almost disappeared given the prominence of Europeans on every NHL roster.

There is still some anti-Francophone stuff - Sean Avery had a recent outburst which drew some attention in Canada.

At other levels, I know that Carter did say that Michigan players taunted him with slurs on the ice when he played against them, which Michigan denied. Ted Nolan was the victim of anti-Native behavior and slurs from fans during at least one QMJHL game, which the opposing team acknowledged and apologized for.

Yes, there have been accusations of similar behavior in the NHL. I can't remember too many specifics, I know Chris Simon was accused of making racial slurs against a black player (can't remember whom - Anson Carter ?) which is curious because Simon is Native. THere were other incidents.

It was Mike Grier. Simon apologized for the comment.

The fact i made about Henry is true. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=352238&cc=5739

You have no idea m8!

Please stick with the facts B)

Just coz u dont hear it (Or dont wish to hear it) dont mean its not there bobbyorio!!!

Deathmoves mate. Any problem between Aragones and Henry has nothing to do with Henry playing for France.

Relying on the espn 'soccer' website for football news is laughable. Please mate use more reliable sources. I guarnatee you if Henry threatened to not play for france again it would be all over the legitimate sources

Your comment with regards to racism in football in the UK is what was really laughable. The worst racism in football amongst the major European leagues remains in Spanish and Italian football.

The English FA deserves to be commended for their approach to attempting to stamp out racism over the last 10 years.

Soccernet is a good site. If you choose the Europe version it's the same stories in the English papers.

Yes, the FA has done a good job. You still see instances but not as bad as the Liga and Serie A...

Roadrunner - Teams like Roma or Juventus dont have problem with the "hardcore" supporters and i can say most of the teams dont have problems.

But Lazio or Livorno dont seem to do too much against their bad supporters, yes they say "you guys dont do it" or "that's not a good thing" but in the end they dont do as much.

Not so different is for the violence in and outside the stadium, almos all the team get's fined for the violent behaviour of fans but they dont seem to do to much to stop it, expecially small teams that really need money from the attendance because they dont have to much money from tv.

But dont think it's all bad, in the recent times the government and of course a lot of true supporters have made things better but as you know sometimes a bunch of idiot can ruin sport...