Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SnakeEyes29

Why are there more TBlades in NHL?

I love my Tblades. I guess the bitter shop owners who have never used them can say whatever they want.

Vapor,

I am glad to hear you are happy with your t-blades. That is all that matters. I am not a bitter shop owner. I am running a business. When its your turn to work for a living you might have a different perspective. The whole world can use t-blades. It won't bother me in the least.

I work in retail @ Saks Fifth Avenue in New York and pay for my apartment and my expenses less my college tuition.

I love my Tblades. I guess the bitter shop owners who have never used them can say whatever they want. I like my blades very shrap. I would have my skates sharpened once a week at the minimum when skating 5 days a week. A set of Tblades lasts me at least a month. And the crap about them being loud, that is just because they are very sharp. Make a sharp turn right after you get your skates cut, same sound, it isnt just a Tblade phenomenon

I have used them and I was not impressed. I find that they don't hold an edge for me and they are not strong enough.

What tblade users don't understand is that they could skate on their regular skates for just as long without a sharpening too. Slowly getting use to them getting duller and duller with each skate, you adapt and get use to the dull blades and adjust your skating style to compensate. I have many customers who sharpen their skates twice a year, who play every week. It's not about tblades, it's about performance, and you simply loose performance on whatever blade you are using after each skate.

What tblade users don't understand is that they could skate on their regular skates for just as long without a sharpening too. Slowly getting use to them getting duller and duller with each skate, you adapt and get use to the dull blades and adjust your skating style to compensate. I have many customers who sharpen their skates twice a year, who play every week. It's not about tblades, it's about performance, and you simply loose performance on whatever blade you are using after each skate.

so you're saying that I should change my skating style, and stop sharpening my skates so I can create a tollerance to dull skates? Okkkkkay

I work in retail @ Saks Fifth Avenue in New York and pay for my apartment and my expenses less my college tuition.

I wish you well in your career. I just wanted you to understand that the shop owners are not "bitter" over t-blades. We just choose to use our $ in different directions in order to maximize profits. Sometimes a product that is good for the consumer is not good for the shop owner. The t-blades are a perfect example of that kind of product. In many businesses what is good in theory is not great in the marketplace. I also wish those dealers well that carry t-blades. We will be closed Monday and Tuesday for year-end 2005 inventory. I am happy I will not be counting any t-blade inventory. I was asked for them far fewer times than all the different sizes, hollows, and colors I would have invested in inventory $.

What tblade users don't understand is that they could skate on their regular skates for just as long without a sharpening too.  Slowly getting use to them getting duller and duller with each skate, you adapt and get use to the dull blades and adjust your skating style to compensate.  I have many customers who sharpen their skates twice a year, who play every week.  It's not about tblades, it's about performance, and you simply loose performance on whatever blade you are using after each skate.

so you're saying that I should change my skating style, and stop sharpening my skates so I can create a tollerance to dull skates? Okkkkkay

No, ... what I am saying is that YOU adjust your style as your skates get dull. Just like how you drive slower on slippery roads. I do not recommend skating on dull skates or overused tblades because you lose performance. Plain and simple.

I could never get over just how much those holders flexed under me no matter what I was doing. I also snapped the heel of a runner when I was hauled down once. The only reason I gave them chances on two separate occasions was b/c the feeling of glide on those things is fantastic. Everythng else sucked for me.

Alright, I'll chime in here as a former t'blade user. I skated on traditional steel for 20+ years before trying t'blades. I used t'blades for a couple months before getting a new pair of skates that had traditional steel.

I did not miss the t'blades, but I really have nothing against them. I do think they keep their edge longer. 3 months longer no, but twice as long, maybe. Let me back that statement up.

I get my skates sharpened about every 4 skates (1 - 1.5 hours each) now and stone them after each skate. Why do I get them sharpened after 4 skates? Because I can feel the difference. My turns feel less sure, the ice feels softer, it feels like I have to work harder to perform the same.

When I had the t'blades I experimented with rockers and radius' a bit, once I found a setup I liked I stuck with it. I put about 10 hours on those blades and I never felt the need to change them. I could not feel the drop in performance like I do with traditional steel. To me, this says that they do last longer. How much longer, I really can't say as I got rid of them before they started to feel dull.

As for any performance increase using t'blades, I felt none.

i used t` blades for about half a year, and i could feel a definate increase in glide and i replaced them fewer than i sharpened my old skates. Until i found a place that had "laser polish" as they called it, it made my skates have that glide and the sound like t`blades for a fraction of the costs. and my traditional holders needed less sharpenings.

i used t` blades for about half a year, and i could feel a definate increase in glide and i replaced them fewer than i sharpened my old skates. Until i found a place that had "laser polish" as they called it, it made my skates have that glide and the sound like t`blades for a fraction of the costs. and my traditional holders needed less sharpenings.

I think that's the key, finding a good sharpener. The big advantage to tblades is the consistent hollow and edges. If your sharpener is not good, going to tblades should feel better and since you actually have edges(as opposed to the bad sharpened steel), they will last longer.

i used t` blades for about half a year, and i could feel a definate increase in glide and i replaced them fewer than i sharpened my old skates. Until i found a place that had "laser polish"  as they called it, it made my skates have that glide and the sound like t`blades for a fraction of the costs. and my traditional holders needed less sharpenings.

I think that's the key, finding a good sharpener. The big advantage to tblades is the consistent hollow and edges. If your sharpener is not good, going to tblades should feel better and since you actually have edges(as opposed to the bad sharpened steel), they will last longer.

I agree finding a good and consistant sharpener also helps alot.

Are there any guys other than Germans using those in the NHL? I don't think I've ever seen a Canadian with t-blades in the NHL, they're all German (and wasn't there some Czech or Slovakian guy using them too a couple years ago?). But in the German league DEL it seems they are alot more common, maybe because they're a German company?

Boys,

Not to seem like a school teacher but why is it so hard to stay on point and just answer a question? The question was just about increased use in the NHL which is definitely up. The season of the lockout had maybe 1 or 2 guys using them. Now there are many more without question. And I am not sure that there are that many Germans.

The argument of whether they are good or not....what do you say Chad and JR, has that been done 30 times? Maybe 100 times already?

Darkstar...maybe we don't see as many as you do, but in the midwest area where I am, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Western PA, Southern Mi, Tenn...there are a bunch of TBlade users and I haven't seen one uneven or problem with Pitch. Never seen one break or snap. In our orgnization there's 23 skaters with them that I know of. Never one problem. I have personally got them delivered or shipped to about 18 of the users. Nothing but good things. 2 guys switched back, including my son. But everyone else loves 'em. The consistency has been far superior to sharpenings at most pro shops. If JR traveled to every weekend set of games or you had a great sharpener on every road trip, maybe TBlades aren't quite as attractive, but to most people....hard to argue with consistent blade feel practically every time. Seems strange how some have had nothing but problems with every pair....somewhat suspicious to me but whatever.

CRAP....I got caught up in the same pro vs. con of the TBlades that I complained about....sorry.

Enjoy whatever you use.

A kid just walked in with Vector 110 ZG with t-blades. I had to look. The left boot was not level and the right was ok. The kid kept asking "what are you doing?" " Ah, nothing." he paid $275 but I didn't ruin his day. He had already skated on them 3 times.

was this kid with his dad? THe kid has blond hair and glasses?

I was just surprised to see an uneven t-blade. I just wanted to mention it. It seems they were taken for granted as being level. some areas of the country may have better sharpening services than others. Also, when players travel long distances away from the home rink and sharpener, they will feel more comfortable with t-blades, rather than a new guy sharpening their skates. I get a kick out of how many players in our rinks(4 rink building) come in from out of the area and get their skates sharpened here during a week-end travel game. We sit in the middle of USA Atlantic Hockey district. Players from DC to Ct and Long Island are in here every weekend. 4 rinks- 2 teams - 30 players- 120 players every 90 minutes- the machine gets backed up quickly with a long line for "while you wait."

As for veering off topic, one thought always leads to another so................

I think they're great for people who can't get a consistant quality sharpening. I think the hype and marketing has led some people to believe they are something very different from reality.

I've had customer that ask if I have: "those blades that never need to be sharpened", "the titanium blades that stay sharp forever", "the blades that heat the ice so you go faster", "the replaceable blades that weigh half as much as tuuks" and "the blades that make you faster and last forever."

Sometimes I almost wish I was just the kind of prick that could lie to people and take their money while feeding them a line of shit, I would probably make more money.

Back on topic, Elias used them for a while as did one NHL linesman.

I haven't seen an increase in use, maybe I'm just not seeing the right games.

Seidenberg

Hecht?

Goc?

German company....

german players....

aaand I use T'blades, because NO ONE in Germany can sharpe your skates good....

Even the shops with those 'automatically Sharp-Machines' O.o

HORRIBLE! :(

Sometimes a product that is good for the consumer is not good for the shop owner. The t-blades are a perfect example of that kind of product. In many businesses what is good in theory is not great in the marketplace.

That is a very, very revealing statement. I naively hoped that the marketplace was determined by consumers, but now I see that I didn't realize how our choices in this case - or lack of choices - are partly formed by the interests of the shop owners. This was a bit of a wake-up call for me, although of course I understand that the shop owners have to worry about themselves about all else. I guess this is the perfect product for people to be buying from the big online guys.

Sometimes a product that is good for the consumer is not good for the shop owner. The t-blades are a perfect example of that kind of product. In many businesses what is good in theory is not great in the marketplace.

That is a very, very revealing statement. I naively hoped that the marketplace was determined by consumers, but now I see that I didn't realize how our choices in this case - or lack of choices - are partly formed by the interests of the shop owners. This was a bit of a wake-up call for me, although of course I understand that the shop owners have to worry about themselves about all else. I guess this is the perfect product for people to be buying from the big online guys.

I have T-Blades and I agree with the owner. The invatory(sp?) needed to provide all the different rockers , hollows and colors that T-blades offers seems alittle nuts. What I find thou, having worn T-blades for three years, is that it only takes about ten t-blade users in your area to break even. Also all users of T-blades end up with the sharpest setting(9), this might take a year to get there but I've seen it happen to all users. As for the color of the holders just order white and offer white or yellow stabilizers because yellow was first offered by graf years ago and white just looks neutral. The bolts on the stabilizers do snap and have to be replaced after a season and a half. What I'm trying to say is don't offer every thing t-blade has... On second thought I've just remembered that the holders are also different sizes...... Ya if I were you I would hold off for another year till there are more people using them..... Funny this post didn't go the way I though it would :)

Ok how about this just offer L-9-280 and I'll be happy :)

I've been on T'Blades for a year and a half and for me they make a HUGE difference and I don't think it has much to do with sharpness. The flex allows ME to turn ridiculously tightly. That advantage, the pitch and the lightweight is enough for me. I am a featherweight under 150 lbs, though, and I can see why they might suck for bigger players who would flex them too often/too much. I don't think they are for everybody but they're magic for me.

A couple of posts suggested their marketing is a total load of crap. I have no doubt their reps stretch truths but the basis of a blade flexing to stay on the ice like a ski flexes to track on the snow holds up. Having skied as much as I've skated in my life, that's the first thing I noticed; digging them in feels quite similar.

I agree they are killer for shop owners, though. Until (and it won't happen) half the skaters out there are on T'Blades, it won't make sense to carry them at all. I use runners for about 12 games usually but I buy them 5 at a time online. You can't keep sharpenings in the pocket of your bag. They're not everlasting but do hold up a little longer than a regular sharpening, I'd say. That said, for the consumer, if you replace runners after 12 games for $15 or sharpen skates every 4 games for $6, the difference is obviously negligible. More convenient, yes, but not really cheaper.

Oh, and it's not all bad news for shops - at least if you put a pair of holders on, you get to charge for 4 or 5 extra rivets!

So, yeah, I guess this thread has lost its purpose but with good reason - I'm afraid the original post is, in fact, a bit off because by my count, there are only 4 guys in the league on T'Blades and we've hit them all: Ehrhoff, Goc, Seidenberg, and Hecht. That's only about as many as there ever were or even less because Marcel's brother Sascha used to wear them when he was in the league and Elias did for a bit, too. So if anyone knows of any others, do tell, but it's just a small German party for now.

NuggyBuggy

Sorry for the reality check! Most of the marketplace IS determined by consumers. We are in business to sell what you want and will buy. The product that does not sell we are learn our lessons from and try not to make the same mistake twice. Then there are products like t-blades where a savvy shop owner realizes that this product will cut into the sales of multiple categories. The player is in the shop for the $6 sharpening(100% profit after the expensive sharpening machine is paid for by x amount of sharpenings). The player decides he needs a new stick for $25 and tape for $3 a roll. There is a $34 sale to be rung up at the register. T-blades? Sell them for $x, customer leaves and never spent anytime hanging around the shop looking at sticks and pads while his skates were sharpened. This is the reality of running a pro shop. The t-blade guy might buy the stick and tape but as a shop guy I'm still better off without t-blades. Just my 2 cents.........

While I get my skates sharpened, I looked at the Rbk 8k helmets, wasn't too impressed, pulled on my mop of hair like a mofo. Moved on down the line. Spotted the SL sticks, and was supremely tempted to get one, as I technically could have afforded one right then and there.

Sharpenings are I think $4 at my LHS. I got some crappy looking "white" tape (had gotten wet and dirtied) for $1 a roll, help out Bruce and take them off his hands. Something like that comes up a lot. I got a new pair of laces for spares while I was there.

Had I gotten the stick though, I'd have gotten him a sale of a $160 stick too, whereas if I had gotten t'blades a while back, I'd just order the runners online, and he'd not get this chance.

Potentially good for me, bad for him. I prefer the community benefit personally.