Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SnakeEyes29

Why are there more TBlades in NHL?

Sorry for the reality check! Most of the marketplace IS determined by consumers. We are in business to sell what you want and will buy. The product that does not sell we are learn our lessons from and try not to make the same mistake twice. Then there are products like t-blades where a savvy shop owner realizes that this product will cut into the sales of multiple categories.

No need to apologize for my naivete or your honesty. I had t-blades for a while, I liked them and I found they were a money-saver for me, runners at $18 each stayed sharp maybe 2-3 times as long as a sharpening ($5) from a guy widely considered one of the best in Toronto, once my time and gas were factored into the sharpenings.

Now here is where t-blades might make sense for certain LHSes. I try to buy most of my gear from a hockey store in the other end of town, call it LHS A. Their prices are good, salespeople knowledgeable and friendly, and I now know some of the guys on a first name basis. They were the guys I went to, when I needed the holders swapped out for the t-blades, they were the ones I bought the system from, and they were the guys I bought my runners from.

I did NOT buy the t-blade system or runners from the nearest LHS to me, call it LHS B, because I don't like the guys there. BUT I DO get my sharpenings done at LHS B, because they do a good job and because I cannot afford the time or hassle to drive too far every week to get a sharp. LHS B is considerably closer to me than LHS A.

So when I switched to t-blades, LHS A got some extra business from me: I paid for the swap out, I paid for the system, and runners, business that would otherwise have gone to LHS B in the form of sharpenings. Every time I needed new runners, or wanted to try a different runner, LHS A gets another visit from me, even though they are pretty far out of my way. Maybe I buy some other stuff I had not planned on while I am there.

Now I ended up swapping back in my original holders, not because I was unhappy with the t-blade performance so much as I went into a slump and needed something to blame. End result, I am back at LHS B spending money on sharps. But when I need to buy something more than a roll of tape, I still make the drive out to my favorite LHS A, and they're the guys who get my business with sticks, team jerseys, bags, etc. LHS B is getting my sharp business out of necessity but no more than that. If I see something I want at LHS B, I buy it at LHS A.

But LHS A has still lost some of my impulse business because I am no longer visiting them to buy runners.

The market does drive what stores carry. I have zero customers with tblades. I had a few who had them and all switched back. No one ever asks for them. Why put up a lot of capital to stock a whole line of a fringe item.

I agree they are killer for shop owners, though. Until (and it won't happen) half the skaters out there are on T'Blades, it won't make sense to carry them at all. I use runners for about 12 games usually but I buy them 5 at a time online.

Yet another reason a lot of shops won't carry them. It's another product to carry that forces them to compete with online retailers. There is another shop in town that sells skates with t'blades and most of the kids buy their replacement runners online and not through the shop where they bought the skates.

I agree they are killer for shop owners, though. Until (and it won't happen) half the skaters out there are on T'Blades, it won't make sense to carry them at all. I use runners for about 12 games usually but I buy them 5 at a time online.

Yet another reason a lot of shops won't carry them. It's another product to carry that forces them to compete with online retailers. There is another shop in town that sells skates with t'blades and most of the kids buy their replacement runners online and not through the shop where they bought the skates.

You went where I though of going...online competition. I won't sell them as long as they are avail at online shops or ebay in mass quantities. I consider them a maintenence item and if too easy to get online, we would never sell any, just as the shop you mention.

You went where I though of going...online competition. I won't sell them as long as they are avail at online shops or ebay in mass quantities. I consider them a maintenence item and if too easy to get online, we would never sell any, just as the shop you mention.

Well, that seals the deal for me. I know I'll never bother to carry t-blades in the shop. My buying $ can be put to much better use to make a profit. And that is what I'm getting paid for. And I am NOT a bitter shop guy! Just a running a business, like the guy at Starbucks or whatever.

Considering the cost of the holders as well as mounting, I don't see much of a cost savings over a short or medium term on retrofitting skates.

The only player that I think would see an advantage in using Tblades would be someone who does not a hockey shop that provides quality skate sharpening. I have several friends in Houston that use tblades. The only reason they have them is that no one in Houston knows how to correctly sharpen skates. Tblades are great for them, because thay can order them ahead of time and keep a couple of spares on hand. But I can't see an advantage for anyone that has access to a shop that does a good job of sharpening skates.

The only player that I think would see an advantage in using Tblades would be someone who does not a hockey shop that provides quality skate sharpening. I have several friends in Houston that use tblades.  The only reason they have them is that no one in Houston knows how to correctly sharpen skates.  Tblades are great for them, because thay can order them ahead of time and keep a couple of spares on hand.  But I can't see an advantage for anyone that has access to a shop that does a good job of sharpening skates.

That is a big advantage but that is just one of many. Don't forget T-blades are way lighter, and there is a better glide. The only down side to t-blades is that they are not cheap. You will save no money buying t-blades. Once you figure the type of rockers and hollow you want, which cost lots of money to figure out, I guarantee you will like them. I've never seen anyone in my area turn in thier t-blades. Only seen one guy not like t-blades but, then he changed the rocker and he likes them again. I think if there is one shop in your area selling them then they should be fine money wise. If there are three shops in your area selling them I can't see how the shops makes money.... Yet. T-blades are here to stay because they use them in germany so they have a strong fan base. They are also making improvements to the holder making it stiffer for better power transfer. T-blades are good now and they are getting even better. Germans NHLers know they are good and they are in the NHL after all.

Keep an open mind. CCM did put them on the TACK line so they must be good.

CCM did put them on the TACK line so they must be good.

Yes and 3 days ago a factory mounted pair of Vector skates with t-blades came into my shop and the blades were not level. Now, Bauer can mount a Tuuk with a bow in it also, so nobody's perfect!

The only player that I think would see an advantage in using Tblades would be someone who does not a hockey shop that provides quality skate sharpening. I have several friends in Houston that use tblades. The only reason they have them is that no one in Houston knows how to correctly sharpen skates. Tblades are great for them, because thay can order them ahead of time and keep a couple of spares on hand. But I can't see an advantage for anyone that has access to a shop that does a good job of sharpening skates.

Three of us tried our t-blades for the first time on the same night. All three of us came back to the bench and said, "Wow, you can really turn on these things!" Basically, there is less metal so they flex slightly as you turn, increasing your turning radius.

To me, the rest of the benefits are incidental.

No need to apologize for my naivete or your honesty. I had t-blades for a while, I liked them and I found they were a money-saver for me, runners at $18 each stayed sharp maybe 2-3 times as long as a sharpening ($5) from a guy widely considered one of the best in Toronto, once my time and gas were factored into the sharpenings.

Tblades save me money... but your math confuses me.

Ok... A pair of runners costs you 18 dollars, and it lasts about 3x the length of one 5 dollar sharpening. If you had your skates sharpended 3 times, that would cost you 15 dollars, while one pair of runners which lasted the same amount of time cost you 18 dollars. Your losing money, get some clear tuuks, circa 1972. No offense, but I dont think your time is worth anything :) and are you using your hovercraft to buy these runners, because you are either still using gas money, or you are paying shipping, which is most likely more than gas money, unless you are driving miles, and miles.

A sharpening costs me 6 bucks, and A pair of tblades last 4-5 times longer than a sharpening, for me, so I save somehwere between 6-12 dollars per pair of 18 dollar runners. Gotta love Bundesrepublik Deutschland

You forget about those times you run into the post, or clash skates with someone and lose and edge right after you put a fresh tblade on or get a sharpening. With t's you have to buy another blade. With skates you can just get them sharpened again, for way less. You can get 6 sharpenings at my shop for about the cost of one set of tblades. I'm sure in some areas and for some folks tblades will save you money, but most folks come to the shop for sharpenings after a edge is whiped out... them posts and concrete floors keep them coming back. ;)

regular sharpenings can get even more cheaper when LHS's offer cards or books of sharpenings, for me it comes out to 3.50 a sharpening instead of 5.00

Or if you happen to know somebody at your LHS, they often give it to you for free or what not, I know thats what happens to me mostly, I know most of the guys there and they just do em up.

Ok... A pair of runners costs you 18 dollars, and it lasts about 3x the length of one 5 dollar sharpening. If you had your skates sharpended 3 times, that would cost you 15 dollars, while one pair of runners which lasted the same amount of time cost you 18 dollars. Your losing money, get some clear tuuks, circa 1972. No offense, but I dont think your time is worth anything :) and are you using your hovercraft to buy these runners, because you are either still using gas money, or you are paying shipping, which is most likely more than gas money, unless you are driving miles, and miles.

A sharpening costs me 6 bucks, and A pair of tblades last 4-5 times longer than a sharpening, for me, so I save somehwere between 6-12 dollars per pair of 18 dollar runners. Gotta love Bundesrepublik Deutschland

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER (concerning hockey-related things)

You forget about those times you run into the post, or clash skates with someone and lose and edge right after you put a fresh tblade on or get a sharpening. With t's you have to buy another blade. With skates you can just get them sharpened again, for way less. You can get 6 sharpenings at my shop for about the cost of one set of tblades. I'm sure in some areas and for some folks tblades will save you money, but most folks come to the shop for sharpenings after a edge is whiped out... them posts and concrete floors keep them coming back. ;)

I'm not trying to bill these things as miracle drugs, but I just haven't noticed lost edges. The steel is definitely harder and that presumably minimizes the effects of stepping on some objects. My buddy tried to sharpen one of the blades and said it was ruining his wheel because of the hardness of the steel.

Again, I find the durability of the blades a bonus. It's the increased agility I've always liked, and I'm eager to try the newer holders to see if I get slightly better linear speed.

i've been on my tblades for about 3 years now. i played pretty intense hockey all my life thus far and have been through several pairs of skates. the main difference i noticed in the t blade was the sideways glide. less friction. it allows a player to glide sideways on their runner more easily. in some instances this can be really good. like dangles. but for a more canadian style game, ie big hits/ fights, it kinda licks. the fights ive been in with tblades were really akward. i fell around a bit, and by no means am i weak on my feet. i think the system is beneficial for ceritan styles of skating. the perfect stride could make use of the system quite well. but a more choppy type stride would probably be hindered by the system. all things considered i like my tblades a great deal. as for the nhl. i think its lack of use has to do with the age of the players. youger guys who are into the newer techy stuff prolly might use tblades, but for the most part. the show is run by older guys sticking to what they know. i dont think mario or anyone like that would be able to make the transition very effectively. i saw an interview with jerome iginla regarding the kore skates. he sid he liked them, they worked great, but it was too much change to get used to.

as for players with tblades in the show, i got

seidenburg,

hecht

moc

guy from calgary occasionally

elias used to use them

imo, the more euro guys use them due to a, ther roots, and b their style of game. i think it would be akward for darcy tuker to rock the tblades, would not be a good combo

Ok... A pair of runners costs you 18 dollars, and it lasts about 3x the length of one 5 dollar sharpening.  If you had your skates sharpended 3 times, that would cost you 15 dollars, while one pair of runners which lasted the same amount of time cost you 18 dollars.  Your losing money, get some clear tuuks, circa 1972.  No offense, but I dont think your time is worth anything :) and are you using your hovercraft to buy these runners, because you are either still using gas money, or you are paying shipping, which is most likely more than gas money, unless you are driving miles, and miles.

Sorry buddy, but my time IS worth a ton. Saving time associated with sharpenings is the main reason I bought the t-blades in the first place. Once I found a setup I liked, I could buy a bunch of runners from my LHS (which offered cheaper prices than the big online guys after shipping anyways) and I save the gas and time I would have wasted if I had to get a sharpening. As I said I was getting the equivalent of about 3 sharpenings per runner. The closest LHS to me is about 15 minutes away by car, sharpening usually takes 10 minutes depending on the wait. So right there I am saving 3 x (15+10+15) = 2 hours per runner, not including gas. I don't know what your time is worth, but I do know what 2 hours of my time is worth to me, and t's a lot more than $3. For me, it wouldn't really take that long for t-blades to pay for themselves, even counting the re-fit costs and costs of the hardware, which totalled to $120 CAD at my LHS.

And yeah, I didn't count the runners that might be lost in, say, a collision with some other guy's skate blades, but for some reason that didn't seem to happen at all when I had the things. But if it did, I would keep a spare pair of runners in my bag and I could be back on the ice in 2 minutes, with the conventional steel I have now, I'd be SOL.

Or if you happen to know somebody at your LHS, they often give it to you for free or what not, I know thats what happens to me mostly, I know most of the guys there and they just do em up.

Happens to me.........gotta love it!

as for the nhl. i think its lack of use has to do with the age of the players. youger guys who are into the newer techy stuff prolly might use tblades, but for the most part. the show is run by older guys sticking to what they know. i dont think mario or anyone like that would be able to make the transition very effectively. i saw an interview with jerome iginla regarding the kore skates. he sid he liked them, they worked great, but it was too much change to get used to.

as for players with tblades in the show, i got

seidenburg,

hecht

moc

guy from calgary occasionally

elias used to use them

imo, the more euro guys use them due to a, ther roots, and b their style of game. i think it would be akward for darcy tuker to rock the tblades, would not be a good combo

Borje Salming uses them in Old-Timers games.

He's the reason they were offered on the F1's.

How many guys in major junior or top colleges using them? I don't get to see much of either but I haven't noticed any.

How many guys in major junior or top colleges using them? I don't get to see much of either but I haven't noticed any.

I've been to a few college games this year, and watched a few more on TV, and I dont recall seeing 1 pair of T-Blades. If I got free skate sharpening like those kids do whenever they need it, T-Blades would be a stupid thing to want.

If I got free skate sharpening like those kids do whenever they need it, T-Blades would be a stupid thing to want.

Why? Some people prefer them, dosent make them stupid.