Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DLIGHTNING

Do you remember when ?

man..my first alum was a christian team usa, came with 2 extra blades for $50, outside of that i was a 7030 guy or canadian 6001, montreal ultralights with the euro curve..

xl 7 helmet liners were the worst..sk2000 all the way

cooper dg32 shinguards

man..my first alum was a christian team usa, came with 2 extra blades for $50, outside of that i was a 7030 guy or canadian 6001, montreal ultralights with the euro curve..

xl 7 helmet liners were the worst..sk2000 all the way

cooper dg32 shinguards

Yep, thats the Christian , so sweet ! LOL My uncle still has it

Where did you get yours ?

I have titan ASD 6000 stick

Ahhh, a classic !

I remember way back I had a dozen of those white Canadian sticks ,

Have those canadians too. In a Dowd curve and the titans in Mclean cuve.......

Those woodies have the best flex and everything. So durable.

its funny to relive but its even funnier to see people still using them. I saw two easton h16 (bright blue and yellow) aluminums. Good ole fashion beating sticks nowadays

Titan Turbo Silver- Mike Bossy pattern

Canadien 9001 aluminum shafts

Jofa 281 helmets

Pads with snaps intead of velcro

CCM helmets with that foam pad on the outside and vents in the front

Anything by Roos, Cooper, Rawlings, Daoust, Micron, Perfecta

My first stick was a Bobby Orr Victoriaville straight blade

Stan Mikita helmets

Sher-wood 5030 sticks

Pro-tec cages

Christian 1000 aluminum shafts with a pattern # 18 blade

What about the old Micron skates. That was my first pair. A hard plastic outer shell with holder combined and an inner sock lining kind of like an old ski boot but with laces.

Also had Cooper All pants with the outer shell that were long pants wth the strap that went from the bottom of the pants under the skates to keep them from rising.

It just makes me think that a lot of people learned to play well off crappy equipment and didn't worry about radius and hollow and stick flex or curve. I suppose it makes a difference now to the elite player but for most, it probably doesn't.

Sorry folks, anything "Easton" is not historic. We are talking Cooper, Northland, D&R and before. Easton was making bows and arrows before they even knew what hockey was. Cooper was/is a legend, helmets, shins, goal equipment. Too bad the name and legend was destroyed by Bauer.

bauer supreme 90 with ICMs, first non micron skate, and bauer supremes (100, 150, 300) for years continued except for that stupid year i bought ccm tacks 252s, i remember being obsessed with kevlar in skates back then. anywyas blister city with tacks, went to supremes again then vapor 8s.

how bout thr ccm bucket that was like one piece, earpieces part of helmet, ugliest lid ever.

or the itech toilet bowl, or the petr klima jofa aka a garbage can

Cooper SK-20 leather helmet, still have it. I had the original Winnwell helmet. The plastic cracked and I chucked it, stupid! I wore CCM EP-1 elbow pads forever. They had leather covered elbows. I must have had them re-velcro and re-strapped about 5 times. I also wore the Cooper SB-95 shoulder caps only for a few years. Then a buddy got a separated shoulder playing. I realized how stupid I was, working in a hockey shop and not having good shoulder pads for protection. I got one of those early CCM vest style pads. I wore the Cooperall white shoulder pads for about 15 years. They weren't white very long. I always thought white and sweat was a bad color combination. I remember wearing ankle guards playing defence in the 70s. I bought a few pair on ebay for old times sake recently. I still have my first pair of top-of-the-line skates: Bauer Supreme 92. These were bought in 71 at Paragon Sporting Goods in NYC for about $100. They are all leather naturally. The leather outer sole only went as far as the ball of your foot. They are beautifully made skates. A few years later I bought CCM Super Tacks, same as Bobby Orr had. I still have the boots because in 76 I removed the original Pro-Lite steel blades and added first generation Tuuks. The next 10 years the only skates to buy were Daoust 301 National. They were so comfortable!! I used to swear by Victoriaville sticks. I had Rick Martin Pro Patterns by the dozen. Also the 21 ply Custom with the big banana blade. They were whippy as a Brett Hull wrister and just as much fun to use. Sher-Wood 5030 became strong again in the 80s. As sk8ordie said, we just had a blast playing until midnight and partying in the parking lot until 2 am and nothing about the equipment mattered as much as it does today. We were too caught up in the fun of playing hockey.

As sk8ordie said, we just had a blast playing until midnight and partying in the parking lot until 2 am and nothing about the equipment mattered as much as it does today. We were too caught up in the fun of playing hockey.

Wow, you are so right about that. Even that's a dying tradition. When jobs and kids become more important, that's sad, very sad. :lol:

Unlike today, when I was a kid, we really only had the choice of Cooper equipment and Bauer and CCM for skates. Back then equipment wasn't meant to be worn like a trophy, we basically wore it because we had to. No love affairs, that's for sure.

As sk8ordie said, we just had a blast playing until midnight and partying in the parking lot until 2 am and nothing about the equipment mattered as much as it does today. We were too caught up in the fun of playing hockey.

Wow, you are so right about that. Even that's a dying tradition. When jobs and kids become more important, that's sad, very sad. :lol:

Unlike today, when I was a kid, we really only had the choice of Cooper equipment and Bauer and CCM for skates. Back then equipment wasn't meant to be worn like a trophy, we basically wore it because we had to. No love affairs, that's for sure.

Agreed. The post-game lockerroom talk used to consist of: "Hey did you see that shot I blew past.....", "Way to thread that pass to me", "Nice glove save on that one shot".

Now it's "My shot is so much harder with this Easton SL", "I'm getting new skates on Monday", "Did you know <insert brand here> is coming out with a clear stick in 2009"?

I'm guilty of it is as much as anyone too although I rarely start the equipment conversation. Maybe a good New Year's resolution would be to get away from the latter. But it's hard to get away when people are always asking questions!

Ahh hockey nostalgia, I love it! :D

In my collection of older gear I have the following:

2 red Titan TPM sticks (early 80's model, older than those 4020 and 2020 sticks)

1 Montreal 66 Superlam (early 80's, the highest-end Montreal stick at the time)

A pair of Cooper nylon gloves (late 70's to early 80's)

And some years ago I decided to buy some old vintage goalie gear off internet auctions, just for fun and for the memories they bring back:

Brown leather Cooper catcher and blocker (from the 70's, the blocker has those "white holes" in it)

And a white Fibrosport glassfiber goalie mask (Jacques Plante-style, 70's model)