Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Weightlifting

Could you have somebody video you (a cell phone video might be good enough), upload it somewhere, and link to it here?

Most likely no I'll update you guys tomorrow after I go to the gym I've been watching alot of video and after reading your first post I'm going to focus on my form ALOT tomorrow and go from there.

I know I'm diggin up an old thread but I need help with my hang cleans. I've only recently started doing them but im fairly dissapointed. I'm 15 years old about 5'8 and weigh 145. I can squat 210 and deadlift 205, my hangclean though is 85! That certainly doesn't seem right so do you guys thing this is primarily form related and if so what are some ways to improve.

Make sure your form is really tight. When I first started doing cleans it took me a while with really low weights to get the form down, but once my form was solid the weights started shooting up really quickly.

If there is a mirrored wall, you could check your form from the front and from the side with an empty bar (45#). Without plates you can see more from the side and ensure that your lower back isn't folding.

I went through the same thing when I first started doing cleans. The bar gave me problems at the beginning, but I'm now up to 215 (not much, but I'm slowly bringing the weight up!). Concentrating on form made the difference. Get the proper form down, then start adding small amounts of weight. You'll be surprised at how quickly your max increases. This helped out a lot... http://www.menshealth.com/powertraining/ ...the book is definitely worth the money IMHO.

It's a very difficult exercise to master (which I have yet to do) but I think it's made me much more explosive and explosiveness is absolutely key to playing hockey.

I feel im doing all of this it seems im having trouble getting the weight up so explosiveness?

As much of a beast Wendler is, this is something you do NOT want to do LOL

Quarter squats > ATG/full squats.

What exactly is the universal advantage of restricting ROM, unless you're specifically trying to train that limited movement?

Do you have any literature or argument to support the claim you've made?

Both your links require memberships. While MSH frowns on copying articles, you could easily quote and cite relevant excerpts. Verkhoshansky in particular (since you just linked to his homepage) has written rather a lot. Which of his articles were you suggesting?

Please notice that I questioned the universality of your claim. You stated that strictly limited ROM was absolutely 'greater than' full.

You are correct insofar as limited ROM training can lead to occasional (read: periodic) increases in strength; even isometrics can do this at times. It does not follow that isometrics are better than all other forms of exercise.

I'm sure that training that limited movement in particular does help with explosiveness in that particular movement. It does not follow that limited ROM squats are inherently superior, or even better for hockey. For instance, a goalie is very often faced with a movement quite similar to an 'ass to ground' pistol-squat when executing a backside recovery or slide. What advantage would there be in *not* training half of this movement?

I've experimented with restricted ROM training idea and found it to be a poor substitute for full ROM training. Restricted ROM training does have the ability to be a useful as a supplement to full ROM training, especially when used to strengthen the weak spots in your normal ROM lifts (since you're using heavier weights over a shorter range it brings your weak spots up to par with the rest of your ROM). Restricted ROM does have a place in a program for certain uses, but not as the foundation of the program.

As for the comment about its relevance to actual hockey, think about the squat. When you skate with good form your knee bends to about 90*. In the full squat (assuming you get your thighs parallel to the floor) your knees bend beyond 90*, which means you're strengthening yourself through the full range of your stride, and then some. On the other hand, if you're doing quarter squats you generally get about 45* of knee bend, which means you're strengthening your legs through a range of motion that is about half as long as the motion of skating. I don't know about you, but I'd rather be strong through the full skating range of motion (and a little extra with the full squat) than be strong for half of the skating range of motion.

I understand the theory around partial ROM training that by shortening the ROM you lift more weight which, in theory, forces your muscles to work harder. But remember Force = Mass x Acceleration and Acceleration = (Final velocity^2 - Initial velocity^2)/DISTANCE. Again, thats not to imply that restricted ROM training has no use but, in my opinion, it should be a supplement to your main training, not the foundation of your program.

Quarter squats > ATG/full squats.

Tell that to any powerlifter and you would get a million reasons why you're off track. If you want to work with explosive power, perform dynamic effort exercises with less than maximal weight. If you want to build strength, perform full/box squats or deadlifts

www.brookslaich.com/videos

Interesting stuff under the LOWER BODY WORKOUT video, including weight-lifting in your skates. Definitely worth a look.

This was cool -- picked up a lot. Thanks for posting.

As much of a beast Wendler is, this is something you do NOT want to do LOL

The difference from doing it right, and doing it a little off, is pretty small. AND, a lift has to follow the lifter's body, i.e. the proper form used might be a little different from lifter 1 to lifter 2 depending on body type.

The thing that is unquestionable...if you are going to be lifting heavy weights, or explosively lifting weights, it really is worth the scratch to get an experienced trainer to watch you for the 1st coulple times. You do not want to be hobbling around like a crippled gnome when you are 40 just because you used a bad form when lifting when you were 20!

While many weightlifters will usually agree on a general principle on how to execute certain exercises, you only need to be subscriber of any weightlifting, health or men magazine out there to see how much one disagrees with the others. You'll get your July issue showing you how to do proper deadlifts according to so and so who's a personal trainer for Vin Diesel only to go through the August issue and see that the personal trainer for Sylvester Stallone shows you a complete other way of doing the same exercise claiming that his way is the only way. I can't link any articles as I not subscribed or research anything lately but just a few years back this is what hit me the most from Men's Health magazine. They kept contradicting themselves month to month via different "experts" etc.

Weightlifting is either fun, boring, a necessity or a combination of this for most. Personaly, and I'm not an expert, but, personaly I think that one has to do what feels right. Yes proper form is key to any exercise to do be it with or without weight but the way you perform the exercises will have a lot to do with your own limitations. Some people are easily able to squat through a full range of movement while others just can't because they either start feeling pain, lock up or whatever and you have to respect your body's limitation in order to avoid injuries and such.

As long as you perform the exercise with good form, you will benefit from it whether you go through the full range of movement or not. Some will argue that one is better than the other but I will argue that either one is better than not doing any of the two.

www.brookslaich.com/videos

Interesting stuff under the LOWER BODY WORKOUT video, including weight-lifting in your skates. Definitely worth a look.

I am so wearing my skates to the Y on Monday :dry:

Broke the 225lbs bench press barrier yesterday for the first time. I weigh 175. Not earth-shatteringly good, but I've been working toward that goal for a while. I also know it's not necessarily the most important excercise for overall strength or hockey strength, but it still felt damn good.

Broke the 225lbs bench press barrier yesterday for the first time. I weigh 175. Not earth-shatteringly good, but I've been working toward that goal for a while. I also know it's not necessarily the most important excercise for overall strength or hockey strength, but it still felt damn good.

Pound for pound that is awesome man!

Thanks a lot man. I've been doing the Westside for Skinny Bastards program for about a year and love it. It's the only thing I've ever done that's helped me add weight on a consistent basis. Putting two plates on each side is something I've wanted to do almost since I started so it felt great to get there. There's a link below if anyone is interested in the program.

http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/WS4SB.pdf