Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nacho

What are you going to be?

From what I remember you're not out of college, and Goldman doesn't hire interns in August. But hey, flossing on message boards is the cool thing to do these days.

Who said anything about an internship? Its not that great of a job, but its something to start with. Im in should i choose to accept.

I mean working the family business(es) does have its advantages compared to being a hired slave.

I'm a mechanical engineer, but I'm still hoping my dream job, manager of a chocolate factory run by big breasted hookers, works out.

How well regarded are undergraduate degrees from Canadian universities? I may be looking at moving to the U.S. and want to get a feel for job prospects.

Depends on the kind of degree and how in demand it is. Got a bachelor of arts in english literature or political science degree? Good luck. Have an engineering or medicine degree? They'll be all over you.

I've already recieved job offers and interest from the states, and I'm not even finished my engineering degree yet.

Dentist...or perhaps an oral surgeon if I decide I want to do the 4-6 year residency after graduation...not real likely though.

What year of university are you in?

Dentist...or perhaps an oral surgeon if I decide I want to do the 4-6 year residency after graduation...not real likely though.

2nd year of dental school, so my 6th year of university.

I just realized those government jobs are sweet, pay isn't top notch but decent. The benefits are the best part, plenty of vocations, holidays and insurance. My gf's sister works for the city and I hear stories about her breaks, 1) my gf was interning so her sister went on lunch for over an hour and came back to find them. She decided to take the interns to lunch for another hour or so. 2)They leave and run errands during the workday.3)They get to be creative, they get a budget and they can do whatever they want to promote public health awareness.

2nd year of dental school, so my 6th year of university.

Oh! Nice...I thought you were a froshie, lol sorry.

It's just that in the past 4 years at UofT I've heard so much, "I'm going to be a doctor/dentist/psychiatrist" from the first year students I meet.

what do you guys think is a smarter career choice, spending 8 years in med school +residency, to become a plastic surgeon, great pay (potentionally)with no guarantee of getting the job, holding off to have a wife and kids until i have the chance to actually be able to spend time with and support them, or just four years of pharmacy school,guaranteed job offer, great pay, and more time to spend with my family (plus more time for hockey :D)

what do you guys think is a smarter career choice, spending 8 years in med school +residency, to become a plastic surgeon, great pay (potentionally)with no guarantee of getting the job, holding off to have a wife and kids until i have the chance to actually be able to spend time with and support them, or just four years of pharmacy school,guaranteed job offer, great pay, and more time to spend with my family (plus more time for hockey :D)

Med school is 4 years long. You need to do a minimum of 90 credits (3 years undergrad) to be eligible to apply. A plastics residency is then 5 years if I remember correctly. I would also strongly discourage you from trying to choose your future over what's going to pay you well. Getting into medical school is difficult. Once you're in, you will then be constantly competing for one of only a very small number of plastic surgery residencies. Of a class of 200 medical students, 2 or 3 might end up in plastics, at most I believe. If your passion is to do plastics then by all means go for it, but I'll give you the same advice that every physician, surgeon and dentist I know gave me: "Don't become a doctor to get rich, you probably won't. If that's your end goal then there are many routes that are far easier and more lucrative. Make sure this is something you really want to do."

And I'm going to stop preaching now.

Med school is 4 years long. You need to do a minimum of 90 credits (3 years undergrad) to be eligible to apply. A plastics residency is then 5 years if I remember correctly. I would also strongly discourage you from trying to choose your future over what's going to pay you well. Getting into medical school is difficult. Once you're in, you will then be constantly competing for one of only a very small number of plastic surgery residencies. Of a class of 200 medical students, 2 or 3 might end up in plastics, at most I believe. If your passion is to do plastics then by all means go for it, but I'll give you the same advice that every physician, surgeon and dentist I know gave me: "Don't become a doctor to get rich, you probably won't. If that's your end goal then there are many routes that are far easier and more lucrative. Make sure this is something you really want to do."

oh my bad i meant 4, and by all means im not doing it only for the pay, i mean the pay is great and all, but its something that i would actually want to do. but the competion just seems way to much, on the other hand with pharmacist as a career choice,i can also see myself liking what i do, and since i work at a pharmacy right now which is owned by my cousins best friends (he runs the surgical supplies for 3 of their pharmacies)that after succesful completion of pharmacy school, i get an immediate job offer to work at one of the pharmacies. plus the pay is real nice, but again its not all for money :)

Well said. Sometimes a good "preaching" is good for some. I've always been a believer in the quote "Do what you love and the money will follow."

Just wondering if anyone on the site is currently pursuing or has graduated with a degree in criminal justice? If so, I was just wondering if you could PM me or email me and discuss some helpful classes and or tips to maybe jump start some networking for future positions. I start my freshman year of college (still very early I know) on the 20th and I'm majoring in criminal justice while minoring in journalism. I just was wondering if anyone on the site would be willing to and or could give me some tips and heads up to what all jobs are possible and what opportunities I could try and start to find as a criminal justice student.

Thanks in advance to any and all help!

i'm in my final year (theoretically) of my physics degree.

yeah, dumb move. >.< i have no friggen clue what i want to do... probably will end up working for some corporation balh blah blah.

i'll probably be that drunk homeless guy that mumbles to himself and does stuff in a library.

I am currently studying for my Bachelor of Arts in Communication. Part of the program is to choose a career focus, I have narrowed it down to three but have yet to decide between international communication, organizational communication and performance studies. Either one will be fine with me, but I figured communication would be a good degree because you can work for almost any type of corporation, and I like to talk!