Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nacho

What are you going to be?

Something with hockey. Hockey equipment more spectifically. Maybe design stuff or something. Not quite sure. I've always just been so interested in equipment technology.

I'm in my first year of general sciences at the University of Alberta, hopefully going into sports med in a few years, but I've always been interested in what it takes to be an R & D guy for a company like Easton, TPS etc... anyone know what sort of degree they would want you to have or anything that would lead into that area?

I'm sure there are many career paths that you could take to reach that point. My advice would be to contact a couple companies and ask what most people who are doing that type of work for them did for training. If I had to guess, I would say the people who are actually coming up with new designs and materials have taken perhaps a mechanical engineering degree, and maybe have some sort of subspecialty in advanced materials engineering. I have nothing to back this up, but it seems like a likely background.

Tokes,

Unless someone is paying you to get your MBA go get a job and after a few years your company will be more than willing to pay the obscene tuition costs for an MBA. I entered work right after my BS in EE and am now working on an MS in EE which my company is paying for before I take the class. If I get a C or lower, I have to pay them back. Not a bad deal.

I've thought about that, but the situation I'm in really works good for me right now. My parents were damned good with savings and have put away enough money as I could realisticly spend on education, and I'm going to be finishing up my MBA @ UBC with a friend of mine. He's in Australia right now, but his parents are very wealthy and bought him a swag townhouse right by UBC so I'm getting free room/board/utilities to go to school there, and get to live with a couple of my best friends.

I know a half dozen civil engineers and that's what attracted me to it in the first place, but i've thought about teaching as well, which is why I'm planning on doing the masters to start with. I figure it would be easier to just truck on from my bachelors and just finish it off now rather than maybe decide later I do want to teach but need to go back to school to pursue that career path. School is a crapload of work, but I am enjoying it thusfar, so it's not really a huge deal to me. I'm just thankful my decisions are bound right now by what I want to do, and not by economic restrictions.

i hate when people ask me this question!!!

im not really sure what i want to do but im thinking about dentistry

Make sure you know that you want to do this before you commit to it. I'm in the midst of dental school interviews right now and it's a tough road to get in. It's a bit easier in the US than Canada, based on # spots/# applicants, but if you want to do this figure it out early and then work very very hard to have the best application file you can. As an example, at UBC there's about 400 applicants, and 40 spots are available. Usually to get in, you have to be in about the top 5-10% of your undergraduate class, and have a fairly nice extracurricular life going on as well. However, dentistry is about the sweetest profession you can go into IMHO. I hadn't decided between med and dent up until a few weeks ago, so it looks like I'm going to have some medical school interviews that I can just have some fun in, lol!

In all seriousness though, try and get some idea of what you're interested in before you dive into university and start spending money and time just for the sake of doing something. There's nothing wrong with taking a little time to go out and get some life experience.

dentistrys not a bad choice. i was deciding between that and kine, and my love for sports took over. but i have an aunt who graduated from dentistry 2 years ago, and got her own practice her first year out by taking over a retiring dentist.

luck and timing plays a large role in what you want to do and if you can do it.

i would love to do something in the hockey industry. but other then that ive thoguht of so many diffrent things to name a few at the top of the list lawyer,firefighter or go in to phyisotheapy but i hear for phyiso and law you need good grade something i dont have. im only in grade 11

1. Professional hockey player ( trust me I know the odds so some other careers I'm interested in are....)

2. Some type of personal trainer

3. Something to do with sports media - I know more way more about any sports them most parents I know but thats just in my neck of the woods

1) Well i hope i will have a son soon.

2) Wait till he became an NHLer.

3) Retire.

4) Drive my new Ferrari that my son bought me for birthday... :lol:

Ok, in reality, if everything goes right, finish university next year (Economy and Finance), then who knows? :lol:

Well now my declared major is Fashion Merchandising (I go to LIM College in NYC). I may change to a Fashion Managment major, but I am not sure yet. I am looking to become a buyer or hold an upper level managment job somewhere in the fashion industry. Fun fun fun...

Let's see 8th grade..

Of course I want to make it to the NHl but if not that then I want to become of the the following..

-Marketing People--My mom does it....Im very good with people

-Computers- Im pretty good with them, know a lot fo them and my dad deisgned computers....

-Sports medicine- love to be around sports...

-architect....love building things..

-writer..only for a side job...my aunt and uncle are published authers...Red Bird At Rocafeller Center was their first book and they have written MANY others...the one about hockey was the Magic Hockey Stick...Love writing

i agree on who ever said adult film ;) ..but seriously something like sports med., weight trainer, nutrionist/phsiotherapist for sports team

i am out of college and still dont' know what i am doing... went to school for physics, ended up with degrees in business and econ... then wondered around for a year and now am a part owner of a hockey school, air duct cleaning company, ice rink consulting company, and might be going in with two other people on a pro shop..... needless to say i am a very confused person.. ;)

Got a degree in Sociology/ business Admin. minor....And ended up becoming a firefighter, And for you guys that said you wanted to or were thinking about becoming firefighters if you get with a good dept. it is a great job, your not going to be rich, but you get a great work schedule, and overall just gain alot from the job in all aspects of your life...I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Got a degree in Sociology/ business Admin. minor....And ended up becoming a firefighter, And for you guys that said you wanted to or were thinking about becoming firefighters if you get with a good dept. it is a great job, your not going to be rich, but you get a great work schedule, and overall just gain alot from the job in all aspects of your life...I would highly recommend it to anyone.

And don't forget that you get to ride around in a big red shiny truck. LOL!!!

*insert catchy jingle music* I wanna drive a zamboni, I wanna drive a zam-bo-ni

in all seriousness I wanna be a nutritionist or work in physio/physical rehabilitation, or possibly even a phys. ed teacher. Gotta love Bio and Kine. Unless my band signs to a major label...then screw a real job.

When I can settle down in one place for long enough (cuz of hockey) I will finish my degree in Graphic Design and conjoin that with my knowledge of website design and business management