Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nacho

What are you going to be?

I'm a sophmore in College, and I'm majoring in Economics and Philosophy. I'd like to get into a hedge fund, or private equity, maybe I-banking, but who knows at this point. right now I'm just trying to get an internship for next summer.......

At this point, I am strongly considering becoming an Investment Banker. I'm definately headed into Commerce though, I dropped all my Science courses for next year (my last year of high school).

You shouldn't be specializing your schedule as a senior in high school, especially when most college freshman, let alone high school seniors are unsure of their true academic passion. Ibanks want people who are supremely intelligent above all else. Your finance related experience should come through internships throughout college unless your majoring in economics or in an undergraduate business program. My best friend graduated from Brown with a philosophy degree and is now at UBS, to illustrate my line of thought.

yea everyone I've ever talked to on Wall Street always told me to study and major in what i liked. they said they can teach anyone finance on the job, as most big houses have training programs you have to got through first. Most have said they want someone who is articulate, can think on their feet, and can use what they know effectively.

thats why i went with econ and Phil, those have been my two favorite subjects since i got to school. And to go along with what Cavs said, i also know a few kids who got English degrees, history degrees, even some Art History degrees who have gone on to work at places like goldman, merrill, Barclays, ect.

My uncle is the CEO of a very successful company that he and a fellow harvard MBA grad. built up from scratch. He says that most businesses will look for a student with a well-rounded undergraduate education, and that it's not necessary to worry about business until getting your MBA, that you should major in what you like. He also said that having a couple years of work experience in the field after you graduate (before getting the necessary MBA) is a must...most decent MBA programs will be expecting that too, hence why the average age of an MBA is something like ~28-30 years old.

Even so, if you are interested in business, an undergraduate business degree will serve you better than most other degrees (engineering and a couple others could only do better for you). A good undergrad business school will give you the tools you need for success in business, including international relations, public speaking and communications, technology skills, etc. All things which you may not learn so well in other majors.

One more thing to consider, the degree is just a stepping stone. The majority of graduates will end up working a career in a field entirely different from their college major. So, take something that you are good at (and that you enjoy) in college, and then use that to branch out into whatever area you eventually settle on.

After my bachelor in leisure services I am thinking about maybe doing my masters in Political Science.

I have a college diploma in Graphic Design, worked in the newspaper industry for a few years but got sick of it. Read a book called "The World Is Flat" by Thomas L. Friedman and took an interest in commerce/economics. Started some courses at the college here, gonna complete the 3 year program there resulting in a diploma in Business Management (with a concentration in Human Resources), then transferring my credits to the University of Cape Breton to get a degree out of it, probably sticking with Human Resources, but we'll see how it goes.

bumping this old thread because i need advice. I'm graduating in 3 weeks and I still haven't found a job. I changed my major from computer science to biology so I don't have any intern experience. I can't find a job.... What steps should I take? all of the jobs on monster and stuff require 1-2 years experience, I just can't seem to find a starter job to learn all of that. Should I intern for nothing for another year? but I still have all of these loans to pay off. I'm lost.

Have you still been applying? Most companies inflate the requirements so they won't need to weed through oodles of applications. However, companies don't always receive oodles of applications, so ignoring the requirements can sometimes work to your favor.

I'll be finished my Honors degree in Physics and Physical Sciences this year.

I'm going to be college for culinary arts in Sept 08.

How well regarded are undergraduate degrees from Canadian universities? I may be looking at moving to the U.S. and want to get a feel for job prospects.

You shouldn't be specializing your schedule as a senior in high school, especially when most college freshman, let alone high school seniors are unsure of their true academic passion. Ibanks want people who are supremely intelligent above all else. Your finance related experience should come through internships throughout college unless your majoring in economics or in an undergraduate business program. My best friend graduated from Brown with a philosophy degree and is now at UBS, to illustrate my line of thought.

I have only adjusted my schedule to meet the pre-requisites needed to gain entrance into the commerce/business programs at the three local Universities (UBC, SFU, UVIC). Without these courses (and GPA), I am unable to apply for entrance at these schools.

I'm taking kinesioliogy sports and recreation my first year and applying into education my second year with the hopes of becoming a phys ed teacher. All this being done at the University of New Brunswick, defending CIS hockey champs!

I want to be Oprah's house husband....think of the cool stuff I could buy then.

Im a senior at my college (UNT) and ya...BS in BCIS and minor in Communication. My plan is to become a network engineer, then move my way into upper management. That would be nice...this is, of course, if Oprah doesnt work out for me.

Zach

I have a degree in Graphic Design (pre-press) and Communications.

So, naturally, I'm the operations manager of a non profit health insurance company :)

I worked for an IT manager that had a theater degree.

I'm going into grade 11, and at the moment am looking into going into business or something in the hockey/sports industry (my real passion). Anyone have any job suggestions in the hockey industry working for one of the major company's, in the business side of things, or r and d. Anything that seems like a good fun job in the hockey industry.

Thanks

I've always wanted to be an anesthesiologist but I just don't think I could deal with their shifts or being on call around the clock.

That's not the problem with being one though, the malpractice fears are.

Not to mention 8 years of school, and 5-7 years of residency.

And after all that, anesthesiologists are most likely to abuse the stuff they administer themselves...

I'm going into grade 11, and at the moment am looking into going into business or something in the hockey/sports industry (my real passion). Anyone have any job suggestions in the hockey industry working for one of the major company's, in the business side of things, or r and d. Anything that seems like a good fun job in the hockey industry.

Thanks

Yeah, here's some advice. Run...run as fast as you can away from this business.

That's not the problem with being one though, the malpractice fears are.

Not to mention 8 years of school, and 5-7 years of residency.

And after all that, anesthesiologists are most likely to abuse the stuff they administer themselves...

As long as there's an upside....

I'm starting a paid internship at my moms friends advertising firm. And If I enjoy the work, or even can see myself doing it I hope to pursue it.

Also, I'm going into grade 12 so this is all helpful on my university application.

Careers and education too many time's do not co-incide. How many examples do you know of where somebody has an education in a field only to have a career in a totally different field. We have seen a few here even here.

Seems like a big waste of time and money. :blink:

When I was in high school I wanted to be a Gunsmith/Custom rifle builder. Sure glad my dad was able to get through to me that alot of hungry gunsmiths were out there.

I ended up with an education in Machine Technology from a local Community College.

Worked as a machinest for 4 years and let me tell you, nothing is as fun as watching a CNC lathe work on a production line for 10 hours a day :huh:

I spent the cash to go to Aviation Maintenance school (Colorado Aerotech) and luckily didnt sucked into that vortex. Out of 43 people that I went to school with there only 3 ended up working in the industry. They really blow the smoke up your shorts that the airlines will hire you on graduation. They sure did, for $6.75 an hour washing planes!

I owned my own towing company for 12 years but once kids came along I had to get a job.

Which is why I have spent the last 17 years working for the State Highway Department.

No complaints though. I enjoy my job and only have 8 years and I retire with 85% of my paycheck tax free.

Point is- keep your options open, situations and markets change. Gain enough skills in various areas so you are always a viable commoditity.

Those of you pursuing degrees in Engineering and the like. Keep your common sense. I have run into many situations with engineers where common sense has just fallen by the wayside.

It totally amazes me to go to a pre-constuction meeting and have to explain to a Certified Engineer that water will not flow uphill.

Booksmart and common sense are two different things ;)

Good Luck!

Tokes,

Unless someone is paying you to get your MBA go get a job and after a few years your company will be more than willing to pay the obscene tuition costs for an MBA. I entered work right after my BS in EE and am now working on an MS in EE which my company is paying for before I take the class. If I get a C or lower, I have to pay them back. Not a bad deal.

As a teacher, I know of a few districts that would prefer that you do not have your masters degree when you are hired. I know it sounds crazy, but it means more money for them to pay a starting teacher who might not last (most last less than 7 years). If you had two good teacher candidates in front of you, each with no experience, would you hire the one with more schooling if it cost you more? Maybe not. So much is simply learned on the job, no substitute for experience.

But, to the original point, it seems like a good idea to get it out of the way before you start a career. Believe me, after a few years in, you don't want to go back and go to school. If you would only benefit from it, go for it.