Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hl1435

"Call for Price"

How many people are as pissed as I am regarding all the sites that have "Call for price" on everything? I think we should use this thread to let the cat out of the bag so to speak, list items that you actually have "calle for price" where that was and what it was! Lets get to it, I'll start:

synergy SL $169.99 synergy SL grip $179.99; hockey monkey

That's required by the manufacturer in a lot of cases. Bauer, Easton, etc were all facing pressure from LHS' regarding how they could underprice on some things. So, for "new" items if they are below wholesale they can't advertise the price. There was a blurb about it on these boards somewhere once upon a time I think.

Sucks, but there you go. Overall it does help the LHS' which I am in favor of, but it is a nuisance.

golfing industry does the same thing... can't list prices, on current model year equipment.

a few years back, some of the manufacturers like titleist, ping would not let e-tailers sell there stuff online at all

Heres a novel idea.. go to your local hockey shop. You will never have to call for the price :)

But you have to go! haha. Anyway, I don't think it is that big of a deal, if you really want it, you'll call. It is a manufacturer thing. We fortunately do not have to do it on any of our product lines because we meet the MAP (minimum advertised pricing) on all our products. Manufacturers cannot force you to sell a product at any given price, they can only force you to not advertise prices below a certain point. If you see the call for price, you should see that as a good sign.

Heres a novel idea.. go to your local hockey shop. You will never have to call for the price :)

I'm all for supporting the LHS but the ones here suck.

But you have to go! haha. Anyway, I don't think it is that big of a deal, if you really want it, you'll call. It is a manufacturer thing. We fortunately do not have to do it on any of our product lines because we meet the MAP (minimum advertised pricing) on all our products. Manufacturers cannot force you to sell a product at any given price, they can only force you to not advertise prices below a certain point. If you see the call for price, you should see that as a good sign.

Mission, Graf and others do MAP pricing.

9K Pumps are $550 retail. What is the price when it's a "call for price" price ?? Like 500 or lower? Or is 500 already too low? At HockeyMonkey.

Its easier said than done, for a lot of us its an hour drive to a hockey shop that doesn't even carry all the products that we are looking for. Saving some times in upwards of $100.00 is a good incentive to. I'm all for supporting the LHS, but when its that inconvenient and I have to spend twice as much money, hey, I have bills to pay to.

9K Pumps are $550 retail. What is the price when it's a "call for price" price ?? Like 500 or lower? Or is 500 already too low? At HockeyMonkey.

Every retailer sells them at different price, so don't be so quick to say the 9k is $550. For example, my price is way lower. Still for skates, you can't compare online with LHS's because you don't get free sharpening, molding, etc, from online stores. The LHS's have to add those services into their price.

Still dont see how it helps LHS-- If i was looking for a good deal --even if it would be a minor pain- i would still pickup the phone and give them a call.

:huh:

You could also just add item to cart and see how much the total is.

I doubt you ever looked at an online shop <_<

I just see that the 9K Pumps are listed 479,99 at HockeyMonkey. Am I just a total ideot or did they put the price on not long ago :P ?

Still dont see how it helps LHS.....

Because it levels the field.

Maybe the LHS scratched up a few dollars to put a good ad in the paper to say their having an end of season blowout. It helps everybody out. You get end of season product at a discount, while the retailer frees up capital to bring in the next season's products. However, if the major online stores are allowed to price a stick at $150 because of their purchasing power, while the LHS sale price is $165 instead of the normal $189, who do you think wins the business?

I think some of you need to realize we're talking about Mom and Pop versus Corporation. What kind of buying power would your parents have if they took a loan out on the house to start a LHS? Not a lot, huh? So there's no way that they'll be able to negotiate as high a discount on the products. Further, the cost of rent and utilities is probably higher per item. However, there's one thing you and your family can do that none of the big online stores can do, and that is to make sure your customers walk away having received the best customer service possible.

That's why you guys have to shop at your LHS first -- to make sure they stay in business for the times you really need them.

I don't think there are that many "corporation" type web sites selling hockey gear. Most of the websites, as far as I can tell, employ about 5 people. Much like a mom & pop who have a couple kids helping them out. Hockey Giant is probably the only exception I have dealt with so far. They are clearly much bigger.

Still dont see how it helps LHS.....

Because it levels the field.

Maybe the LHS scratched up a few dollars to put a good ad in the paper to say their having an end of season blowout. It helps everybody out. You get end of season product at a discount, while the retailer frees up capital to bring in the next season's products. However, if the major online stores are allowed to price a stick at $150 because of their purchasing power, while the LHS sale price is $165 instead of the normal $189, who do you think wins the business?

I think some of you need to realize we're talking about Mom and Pop versus Corporation. What kind of buying power would your parents have if they took a loan out on the house to start a LHS? Not a lot, huh? So there's no way that they'll be able to negotiate as high a discount on the products. Further, the cost of rent and utilities is probably higher per item. However, there's one thing you and your family can do that none of the big online stores can do, and that is to make sure your customers walk away having received the best customer service possible.

That's why you guys have to shop at your LHS first -- to make sure they stay in business for the times you really need them.

In the past I've seen some websites that were selling a certain manufacturers *cough*TPS*cough* current model year sticks for below wholesale price. Great for people that buy from that one website but not particularly good for every other retailer that carries the products. Hell, back in December when XN10s were selling for $99 CDN at retail they wanted my shop to pay $128US before our markup and this was for an item that was being discontinued.

I don't think there are that many "corporation" type web sites selling hockey gear.  Most of the websites, as far as I can tell, employ about 5 people.  Much like a mom & pop who have a couple kids helping them out.  Hockey Giant is probably the only exception I have dealt with so far.  They are clearly much bigger.

I think the "name brand" online retailers are larger than you imagine.

Think of the thread recently with the issue someone (Gavin?) had recently while buying his t'blade skates at Hockey Monkey. He spoke to a couple of customer service reps plus a manager. I'm confident they have 3-5 people working in the warehouse/shipping. An accounting person or two. Staff members at the retail store.

Add it up and it's closer to 15-20 employees and into the millions in sales. Comparatively, that's Corporation versus Mom and Pop, particularly as buying capacity is concerned.

The web giants get significant discounts. Once, when a new skate came out one site accidently posted their wholesale price in the slot, instead of retail price. It was $100. My regular cost was $130. I quickly took advantage of their mistake and ordered a whole bunch. :P Next day the correct price was there. Too bad, I was going to buy all they had. But the moral of the story is that it's amazing the buying power they have. to get such big discounts.

Got that 550 from Epuck.. What do you sell them for :D ?  B)

I'm not allowed to say, call for price. :D

Just kidding, don't call...support your LHS.

The web giants get significant discounts. Once, when a new skate came out one site accidently posted their wholesale price in the slot, instead of retail price. It was $100. My regular cost was $130. I quickly took advantage of their mistake and ordered a whole bunch. :P Next day the correct price was there. Too bad, I was going to buy all they had. But the moral of the story is that it's amazing the buying power they have. to get such big discounts.

They should not be getting any better pricing than you. That is illegal. It is not illegal to offer bulk discounts, but legally speaking you should be able to buy at the same price they get if you buy to the discount. Your vendor should be able to provide you with that price/qty breakdown.

As SalmingUSA mentioned, my experience is that the big guys are big enought to have a different salesperson, different Returns Person, difference Customer Sales person, different Boss, different Supervisor, you get the point... FOR EACH TIME you call them. And most of the big boys are located in SoCal, meaning that chances are you might get someone who has a Shift Supervisor whose son plays rec league roller hockey. Not great if you don't really give a rip about roller hockey (like me).

All that to say, my story ended sort of happy, cause I eventually found that the 50th person I spoke with knew what he was talking about. And while I haven't checked my Credit Card for the Refund yet, I'm pretty sure that he's going to take care of everything.

Just so you know what you COULD be getting into if anything screws up on your order. Which might happen, especially if you're buying closeout or reduced price merchandise.

If you want to read me excercising this American idea called "The Fifth" read here:

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/index.php?sh...ockeymonkey.com

for those of us in non-hockey towns, the internet is crucial. in phoenix, we have a couple LHS but the selection is extremely weak. at my rink, the former practice facility for the yotes, it is small and carries very little. they give us 10% off equipment and 20% off soft goods which is great, but they dont carry all brands and the ones they do carry are very limited models.

You CAN get a lower price on some stuff online. But what if it does not fit, or that skate needs a blade replaced, etc. The LHS has to mark up the stuff a little more because they are not doing the volume business of a hockey monkey, but they are there to help you out when you are in a jam. If that means paying $25 more for a pair of gloves, then I think it is worth it. Plus, they are not going to be stuffing some blemishes on you hoping you do not know the difference!

Now, the 2nd thing is to find the GOOD LHS. There are some that do not deserve my business and they do not get it. There are others that are like part of the family!

It is good and noble to say support your local hockey shop but that is not practical for everyone. Many of us live in areas were going to a local hockey shop for help with hockey gear is like going to CompUSA for real computer advice.

The shops near me hire kids who are barely out of high school and have very little skill and expertise. They do shoddy work and don't stand behind their products and workmanship. Worst of all, many of them have a piss poor attitude.

For me it is not about price. I would love to have a good local hockey shop to support and I would gladly pay a premium for good service and workmanship but that doesn't exist around here. If the LHSs don't add value and expertise to your buying experience they are not worth the time, arrgravation and hassle when I can better product advice on MSH and better service and selection from an online dealer.

Sad but true. The constant preaching about supporting your local hockey shop is getting old.