Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shute

Itech RBE VIII Ti cage

I am considering this visor but wish it came in a small size. I currently use a Bauer True Vision 8000 small. Does anyone know if the medium Itech RBE VIII TI is that much larger than a small true vision? When I used a medium True Vision I felt that it extended to low and limited my movement.

Thank you

My ITECH Titanium cage arrived yesterday. It's pretty sweet and super light. The only problem is that it doesn't seem to fit my RBK helmet perfectly. I have a medium helmet and the cage is medium. I can put it on but if I use the plastic side clips, the cage won't close properly. So I am using it without the side clips. Seems to work OK.

tough call...I dont wear sideclips on my Rbk helmet. It's not the safest thing, but I've yet to get hurt(knock on wood)

Try using the metal clips...they are thinner and it may fit then.

My ITECH Titanium cage arrived yesterday. It's pretty sweet and super light. The only problem is that it doesn't seem to fit my RBK helmet perfectly. I have a medium helmet and the cage is medium. I can put it on but if I use the plastic side clips, the cage won't close properly. So I am using it without the side clips. Seems to work OK.

Hey can you take pics of it? I'm considering ordering one but i'd like to see pictures of it on the Rbk first.

What kind I do? It won't close all the way if I put in the clips.

Get something that fits properly? Most of the time you can bend cages or clips to make everything fit.

Using it without the clips isn't really safe

Not necessarily true... if the clips aren't properly mounted--if they stop the cage before it hits your chin--then a hard hit to the cage could cause your chincup to cut your chin and also could pop your helmet off.

I haven't played checking in a while, but I haven't worn clips since I put my cage back on 5-6 years ago.

Not necessarily true... if the clips aren't properly mounted--if they stop the cage before it hits your chin--then a hard hit to the cage could cause your chincup to cut your chin and also could pop your helmet off.

Then your helmet or cage doesn't fit properly or your chin strap isn't done correctly if your helmet can pop off with the cage in the closed and strapped position...

I haven't played checking in a while, but I haven't worn clips since I put my cage back on 5-6 years ago.

that's just asking for a broken jaw. The clips help prevent the cage from driving back into your chin.

Yes J clips are safter because they prevent your cage from coming up too high on you and pretty much smashing you face. :o

Unfortunately RbK helmets are tough to put them on...but i've been wearing the helmet without them for a while and haven't gotten hit like that(*knock on wood*)

Edit: ^ beat me to it

Boys, boys, boys...

Even a tight-fitting helmet can be knocked around on your head if it's pushed the right way by a stick or check. J-clips will make it worse, as they mark the point at which your cage stops moving and your helmet starts moving.

Sorry, double post.

Back on topic.. I have been wearing a titanium cage for the last 5 years, it was my sample from when I repped for Itech. They were planning on coming out with a titanium version of the round (RBE VII) cage they used to have. It passed CSA certification in Canada but not HECC in the US, so it was never put out to market. I guess there was a problem with one weld popping, but it was on a 106MPH shot at minus-20 degrees (F). So, for those playing in Mystery, Alaska's Saturday Game, there was potential danger... if they flew in Shawn Heins for the weekend. I guess you can't be too safe?

Anyway, the cage is awesome, WAY lighter than a regular steel cage, and the bars show no sign of wear (rust, corrosion, denting, etc). It's light enough that it doesn't pull the helmet down onto my forehead, and the dull-finish grey bars create little distortion. Highly recommended, if you A, have the money; B, are a slob and rust out regular cages once a year; or C, need to have the next great thing.

100% of NCAA players have no J-clips on their helmets and cages hanging 6 inches away from their chins. They don't seem to have a problem.

Boys, boys, boys...

Even a tight-fitting helmet can be knocked around on your head if it's pushed the right way by a stick or check. J-clips will make it worse, as they mark the point at which your cage stops moving and your helmet starts moving.

Then why do they put them on helmets?

Picked one of these up on ebay when the seller made a mistake.

Much better than the RBE VI I was using before. Large model weighs in at 194 grams.

Actually Chadd the helmets when they are tested by the CSA do not use the clips. They are not needed for certification and are not required for play. The reason they have them is to "help" prevent further damage from a cage being worn loose instead of tight. If you wear your cage properly (tight to the face) there should be no injury. If it is loose and you get hit the cage could cause your jaw to break from the secondary impact and the clips being installed keep the broken jaw from going up into the skull and causing more damage.

If you do wear it properly you wont have secondary impact only the intial impact and the neck will take that and not your chin.

My daughter has never ever used the clips and never had a injury where other kids that insist on wearing it loose with the clips get knocked out.

**the info is from the gentelman that works at the CSA in Toronto and does the helmet testing.***

100% of NCAA players have no J-clips on their helmets and cages hanging 6 inches away from their chins. They don't seem to have a problem.

Actually they have the highest rate of concusions and more head injurys than any other league.

I just got mine a litte while ago and I love the thing. The medium fits perfectly on a small Mission Intake. I had some problems installing the thing because of the thick plastic mounting clips but it wasn't terrible.

BTW no J clips here, I don't really care one way or the other but I haven't used clips in a long time and I didn't care enough to add them now.

hye guys i just got one of those cages myself!! here is a pic

picture179na.jpg

Just a suggestion if you are going to put the J clips on put them on the highest setting in otherwards move them up one more screw hole for a better fit. Also much safer.

Actually Chadd the helmets when they are tested by the CSA do not use the clips. They are not needed for certification and are not required for play. The reason they have them is to "help" prevent further damage from a cage being worn loose instead of tight. If you wear your cage properly (tight to the face) there should be no injury. If it is loose and you get hit the cage could cause your jaw to break from the secondary impact and the clips being installed keep the broken jaw from going up into the skull and causing more damage.

If you do wear it properly you wont have secondary impact only the intial impact and the neck will take that and not your chin.

My daughter has never ever used the clips and never had a injury where other kids that insist on wearing it loose with the clips get knocked out.

**the info is from the gentelman that works at the CSA in Toronto and does the helmet testing.***

That's the information I was trying to remember, I had heard that too. Thanks!