Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

analog999

Napping before games

Does anyone take a nap before games? Do you avoid taking naps even if you're tired? Does taking a nap before the game affect your game at all? If you do take them, how much before a game and for how long?

Does anyone take a nap before games? Do you avoid taking naps even if you're tired? Does taking a nap before the game affect your game at all? If you do take them, how much before a game and for how long?

I find that it makes me more tired , It seems to be more like a all out cool down, It puts me in a different mind set.

I would say NO NAP

I nap before every game, not on purpose but just cause after school im so tired. and on weekends i just fall asleep.

Im used to it and I like it i dont know why. But i would say make sure you wake up at least an hour before the game.

i say nap one time i had a 9:00 game in an outdoor rink in the middle of december

took a nice hour nap woke up half hour before i had to leave played great felt energized and refreshed

and i scored my first high school goal that night

1 vote FOR the nap

I love to nap, period. For me, 20-30 minutes is all I need to feel comletely refreshed and good to go. I do like to get up at least 2 hours prior to game time though, to feel my absolute best, mentally and physically.

As a beer leaguer, naps are essential. We get tough icetimes most of the year, with early fall and late spring being a bit better. Youth hockey gets the good times at all the local rinks so we generally don't get on the ice until 9 p.m. at the earliest. Factor in driving (road soda!) time and wind down time at home and I'm getting to bed at 1 or 2 a.m. then it's up for work at 6 trying to act like I care and waiting to get home for a solid 1-2 hour pre-hockey nap and the cycle starts all over again.

Also chiming in as a rec leaguer, I try to have a nap before every game. I'll lay down for an hour or so and then get up two hours before game time. I find it really helps especially with my mental alertness after a long day at work.

I think it really depends on your own physiology. When I take a nap I'm invariably really groggy afterwards--often for several hours. I can't imagine that would be good for my hockey. :D

I would maybe try taking a nap on a non-hockey day, and see how your body responds. If you feel refreshed and alert, go for it; if you feel tired and groggy, don't.

I do end up feeling groggy, too, but I commit the ultimate sports nutrition sin of consuming caffeine. I don't know if it actually hurts more than helps, but I know that if I play tired I feel like crap and can't seem to get my feet moving

I like to sneak in a nap after work/before playing. I start work at 5am and my gametimes begin anywhere between 6pm and 11:30pm. So if I get an early game, I like to sneak a quick nap in after work but I know I'll get home and get to bed early (provided the team doesn't twist my arm to drink afterwards). If I have an 11:30 gametime, I'll eat dinner and sleep most of the evening. And yes it's really tough when that alarm clock goes off at 10pm!

No naps for me....If I sleep for only an hour or so, I end up feeling worse than before. But my games (beer league) usually don't start any later than 8:30.

I usually take a nap a few hours before the game and as long as I prepare how I usually would I find the nap doesn't effect me negativly

What it all boils down to is personal preference. Naps before games may have a positive outcome on some players and a negative one on others, I know for me naps are essential, not just for hockey but just after school each day. As long as you're up well before game time and ready to play I find they have a positive impact as you're refreshed and ready to go.

Well our home games were around 7:45 on tuesdays, So I would get home around 3:10 and cook spaghetti,salad,orange juice, go lie down around 4 and sleep till about 5:00, then get up shower,dressed, banana,water, and then head to rink at 6:00.

I always sleep for about 20-40 minutes.

I know my brother sleeps for usually 90 minutes before his lacrosse games and eats a plate of spagetti and corn syrup with a banana and glass of apple juice.

I also am a beer leaguer that naps before the real late games. In fact I have one this weekend at 11:30 pm. I will surely take a good hour nap. I feel a bit groggy at first, but am ready come game time.

I can nap sometimes, but normally don't. If I can I normally like to get a shower before I go, gets me nice awake and alert. I think if you take a nap, the shower before leaving is key to getting the best during the game.

I always try and nap for an hour or 2 in the afternoon of a game, we usually face off at 7pm on a saturday or 6.30 on a sunday. On a road trip if its more than an hour I will sleep for at least part of the journey, if it's under an hour I dont really have time to settle and get to sleep before we get there.

Napping is good, but if you fall "deep sleep" you will just make the situation worse, which means that you are even more tired than before.