Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

analog999

First night of stick & puck

As some of you may remember, the figure skaters and I tangled and now the rink is finally starting a stick & puck session tonight. I'm not expecting many people to be there, but I do hope some others show up.

Any ideas on how I might get everyone together to run drills? I'm afraid some will just want to scrimmage, and I certainly don't want that - I will claim half the ice for the non-scrimmagers if it comes down to it. I was hoping I could get them to all run the circles, skate in both directions forward/back/with puck, 2-1's, 1-1's, etc.

I am not in charge of it, so I don't have any authority, but if the guys who show are willing, I'd like to run drills for both my benefit and theirs...

Stick and puck is generally for working on things by yourself, not one person running drills. If someone tried forcing drills on me, I would be pissed.

Every place is different but most of the places that I have been that had "stick and puck" had a bunch of guys on the ice all doing their own thing. Drop in, pickup or open hockey are all usually games in this area. Skill development clinics are usually run by the hockey director or a local coach, not a player.

I personally would never be too interested in following the drills somebody else wants, when I show up to stick and pucks I know what I'm looking to work on.

I don't mind if a group of guys / gals show up and run some drills in one end. Sometimes I am asked to join such a group, and if the right drills are run they can be fun. Sometimes I ask to join. At other times, though, I just want to work by myself, hack around, meditate, etc.

So, maybe get a few team-mates or friends to go with you and run some small-area drills.

However, my pet peeve is 2 or more guys running full-ice high-speed passing / shooting drills. You just know that they are going to run into or hit somebody. This is especially bad because most people at our stick-and-puck sessions only have gloves on for protection.

I hate how everywhere else has a decent stick and puck and ours have been "claimed" by the local arena as only for parents w/ young kids. They do their own things, but every one of them is paired up with their son so you can't move or skate.

I hate how everywhere else has a decent stick and puck and ours have been "claimed" by the local arena as only for parents w/ young kids. They do their own things, but every one of them is paired up with their son so you can't move or skate.

thats like the area i live in except my local rinks don't have stick and puck anymore because of the 'high demand of youth programs'. At the rink I play at which is about a 25 minute drive they have 3 hour stick and puck sessions or something with goalies allowed. Everywhere else is like 1hr 15-45 min with no goalies. Best day to go is when I'm skipping school cause then all the other guys are at school :lol:

The only guys I know who will show up probably have no clue what they're doing. If they want to do whatever, that's fine too.

Thanks for the advice though, I won't expect much.

LMFAO. You're going to claim half the ice and start running drills at sticks and pucks? LOL. Let us know how that goes.

I said I was going to claim half the ice if people decide they want to scrimmage...

At RDV the ice was split in thirds - one side for teh adults to shoot on a goalie, the middle was for instructors, and the end was for kids scrimmage.

I usually get a bunch of parents screaming at me after I uncork a couple slappers. It's always entertaining when the parents think it's ok for 12 year olds to come out and play open hockey, but it's not ok for me to shoot.

Nice, we don't really have any little kid parents around here like that, not at open hockey at least. The one rink has a spefici adult and junior sectioning. The other is a dump where they just drop the kids off and leave'em for 6 hours (9-3) so the older guys will play 3-20 against them or just do their own thing.

I just a bunch of really odd lookings in the changeroom and when I went out skating during the "stick and puck" session.

I dont think it would hurt to ask some people to do some drills nicely...just do it in a nice way, don't force them. Almost every sticktime i go to, we get some people and play half ice scrimmages... Most poeple end up wanting to play but we give the others who dont want to the other half(which is more than enough to do what they want to do).

Yes, this is what happened. We had about 10 people show up, which is great -- I hope that that continues and its enough people for the rink to justify the ice time for us. After about 15 minutes this guy with no equipment except skates, gloves and a stick exclaimed "It's time to play." I went over and told him no way, he could scrimmage half ice if he wanted but the other half was for people who just wanted to practice. He told me "I run this, we're doing what I say"... I just skated off and others told him the same thing so they played on half and we practiced on half. After about 20 minutes the so-called game of 3 on 2 was over and everyone just practiced... There was a guy who plays with my wednesday night group and he started running drills, which was great too. All in all it was a successful first night and I hope they continue like this...

did you remind him the center ice is reserved for figure skaters??

Why the hell would there be figure skaters at a Stick and Puck session? :blink: