Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johnson74

College Club Hockey

Thats cool, did we play you this year? And how nice is the new Oswego rink, its a beaut.

No we didnt play you and I think oswego might be trying to go d1 with that palace.

yeah...i was thinking manhattanville, norberts, and some other squads wouldnt get totally romped by the worst WCHA squad, but it would still be a loss

NCAA DI > NCAA DIII > ACHA DI > ACHA DII > ACHA DIII

The WCHA is a NCAA DI conference, not an entirely different league such as the ACHA. There is some overlap in these divisions, for example, the top NCAA DIII teams can compete with lower end NCAA DI teams and the better ACHA DI teams can compete with the lower end NCAA DIII teams. With a few exceptions, teams are not able to compete with teams two levels above them (example: ACHA DI vs. NCAA DI).

WCHA=North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, St Cloud State, etc

Hockey East=Maine, Boston College, Boston University etc

CCHA=Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State etc...

The jury is out on who is the best conference this year.. Tends to run in cycles..lately it has been the WCHA since it draws most of its player pool from the best Junior league in the country..The USHL.

Canadian college teams in the CIS (Canadian Interuniversity Sport) are very good. The eligibility requirements in the CIS are different than the NCAA/ACHA, so CIS teams consist mostly of ex-major junior players from the OHL/WHL/QMJHL. It's not uncommon for some NCAA DI programs to play exhibition games against CIS opponents.

No, all junior leagues in America allow you to keep your NCAA eligibility. If you go away to play juniors in Canada, you sacrifice your NCAA eligibility. That is why most CIS teams are very talented because its people who played in the in the Q and the O who just want to go to college since they never got drafted.

You lose NCAA and ACHA eligibility if you play major junior (OHL,WHL,QMJHL) or professionally. Basically, if you've ever been paid to play, you lose your eligibility. However, you won't lose any eligibility playing in any of the junior leagues in the U.S. or any minor junior leagues in Canada. Most NCAA college players are products of junior programs in the USHL, NAHL, etc.

Thats correct...You only lose eligibility if you play MAJOR junior, and I highly doubt any of the major junior kids can play on any Canadian college teams. I dont know of any Canadian college teams that can compete with the top Division I US college teams in the WCHA, CCHA or Hockey East and so on, so Im not sure what that previous statement is based on. There are a few junior A kids from Canada that end up in NCAA Div I though, like the BCJHL and so forth.

I checked out the University of Alberta's roster and all but two players played major junior (mostly WHL but a few OHL.) Some guys played ECHL as well. The other two guys play who didn't play major junior played SJHL and AJHL respectively. UofA is one of the stronger CIS teams though. I checked some other teams at random and found quite a few major junior guys as well. CIS hockey players seem to be guys who tried to make a career out of hockey realized it wasn't for them after giving up their NCAA eligility and want to get an education while still playing hockey at a higher level.

EDIT: Forgot the link to the CIS rosters if anyone wants to check them out.

http://cis.infinityprosports.com/2004/inde...rt_name=mhockey

I just went to hockeydb.com to check where each guy played. (I'm killing time till class starts).

Thats correct...You only lose eligibility if you play MAJOR junior, and I highly doubt any of the major junior kids can play on any Canadian college teams.

Guys who played major junior who do not get a pro contract, quite often go to CIS schools.

they go CIS because CIS is required to pay for your schooling for every year you played in major junior. And its not quite often chadd, its more like 16% or 1239 out of 1475 don;t go to university. Or roughly 4 guys on every team will get a University degree, whereas 1 guy will go pro on average.

they go CIS because CIS is required to pay for your schooling for every year you played in major junior. And its not quite often chadd, its more like 16% or 1239 out of 1475. Or roughly 4 guys on every team will get a University degree, whereas 1 guy will go pro on average.

1239 out of 1475 is not 16%... it's 84%...