Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johnson74

College Club Hockey

besides the penn state score, every other one is old. Hobart is nationally ranked in d3 and will never loose to Oswego state club when they can beat the NCAA team. Fredonia will not lose to syracuse ever,a s they have a 40 pts scorer on their team.

to say club is comparable to NCAA is ridiculous, and in fact frustrates/angers me. If you're good enough to play NCAA, you play, otherwise you go club. I consider d1 club d4 NCAA.

Never said DI club is comparable to NCAA, just the the top few club teams could play with the bottom NCAA DIII teams.

There are lots of kids playing club that could have gone NCAA. The Penn State coaches had a bunch of DI and DIII coaches coming up to them in Naples trying to figure out how they were outrecruited by them.

Some of the top ACHA teams have budgets that surpass NCAA DIII schools. Off the top of my head, West Chester and Penn State both have players that were playing NCAA hockey and left for those schools. I know of another NCAA DIII player who was one of the leading scorers on his team as a freshman and left to play club. Why? Because the DIII school was a tiny school and didn't offer what he wanted to study.

Kids often realize that they are going nowhere by playing NCAA DIII or aren't going to get much ice time at the DI level, so they play for good ACHA programs at good schools.

Now I'm only talking about the top handfull of club teams. ACHA has a dropoff after the first 4-5 teams and then further drops after the top 15 or so. NCAA has more strong teams overall.

This if you are good enough for NCAA D3 you will go is crap.

i totally agree, i would guess that almost every top player in club hockey had the option to play dIII if he wanted, but chose club instead...

I live in Fort Wayne and remembered reading this thread as the Div.III National Championships are here the weekend of March 1-4 and I was wondering if there were any guys going to be here off MSH?

P.S.- Just realized I have state tourney myself in South Bend the weekend of. Does anyone know if the tournament will be taped and copies will be sold?

And another thing, what is the typical size of rinks Div.III teams play in? Here in Fort Wayne, McMillen Ice Arena where the tournament is, which is a 2-rink facility, the one rink I think holds a little over 100-150 people and the newer rink holds somewhat over 1,000. I was just wondering unless I didn't see that some of the games were being played at the War Memorial Coliseum which is home of the UHL's Fort Wayne Komets which holds over 10,000. Again, just wondering how Fort Wayne got this tournament.

you don't think PSU would be able to recruit top players if they went NCAA. Just think about how their team is now and how much better it would be if they were NCAA. Title 9 and travel expenses is what keeps a lot of teams from being a NCAA program, not talent level.

i'm sure they would get top recruits, but im sayign if they kept their roster. they never will tho however, because A) they need a d1 rink, B)) they'd have to open up scholarship opportunities, whether athletic or academic for canadian players. Beleive it or not, Ontario produces the most d1 players in the US.

National champion wisconsin has 4 canadian players on thier roster, one from ontario. You don't need canadian players to be sucessful.

look at majority of teams and count up every candian guy vs every other state oin the US, most are ontario guys than any other state. Obviously there are more US guys as its US hockey, but take for example a league in d3 like the SUNYAC, look at the amount of canadian there

WHere are you from? Being so familiar with the teams in the MIAC you must be from Minny.

i am from canada, and play NCAA hockey. For a canadian guy, club hockey is useless as there is hardly any $$ given out to international students who dont have a 4.0, whereas in the NCAA the scholarships are more leniant, like in d3

More Minnesotans than Ontarians are in NCAA hockey, but overall Canada has 34% of the NCAA hockey population.

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7Archiv...tesall_0512.htm

Anyone going to Fort Wayne next week?

Unfourtnately no, we missed the bid, you need to be top 4 and we were 8th in our region...the previous years rankings have way too much to do with the current years, my school was 2-13-1 last year, new coach, 11 new players and this year we were 20-3 or 20-4 when the last ranking came out and the best we could do was 8th.

I looked into the games played by ACHA teams vs. NCAA teams. I'm not saying either way, but simply presenting these as facts.

All of these scores were taken from the ACHAhockey.org website.

Penn State (ACHA DI) 0 - Robert Morris University (NCAA DI) 6

Oswego State (ACHA DI) 8 - Hobart College (NCAA DIII) 3

Oswego State (ACHA DI) 8 - Hobart College (NCAA DIII) 5

Binghamton University (ACHA DI) 6 - Hobart College (NCAA DIII) 2

Syracuse University (ACHA DI) 5 - Freedonia State(NCAA DIII) 3

Rhode Island (ACHA DI) 3 - Wesleyan University(NCAA DIII) 4

Rhode Island (ACHA DI) 6 - Wooster State(NCAA DIII) 3

besides the penn state score, every other one is old. Hobart is nationally ranked in d3 and will never loose to Oswego state club when they can beat the NCAA team. Fredonia will not lose to syracuse ever,a s they have a 40 pts scorer on their team.

to say club is comparable to NCAA is ridiculous, and in fact frustrates/angers me. If you're good enough to play NCAA, you play, otherwise you go club. I consider d1 club d4 NCAA.

You are just wrong.. im sorry. Being in this situation RIGHT NOW-(having several low-mid level D-III offers, but deciding to play club instead), I can tell you that tons of guys turn down D-III to play club at a good school where they will have a better college experience. the top club teams wouldnt compete with even AIC if they played them 10 games.. however, compared with mid level D-III they would do fine..- go to school at a Penn State or Oklahoma and get great fans and a great college experience? or tiny D-III school? you gotta know a lot of guys will choose the former

More re: OU - reason they do not go NCAA (and if they could, they would) is because the land agreement for the campus states that the school won't participate in contact sports. The land belonged to the Dodge family and Mrs. Dodge did not like "violent" sports.

So what are the chances of walking onto a west coast team (California) having played only rec league?

not bad i think

my high school roller captain walked onto the UCI Ice team and he has never played travel roller but he played some house ice

just my 2 cents. im hoping to do the same since we play very similarly

I helped out with stats and PA announcing in grad school with my club team (Bryant University in Smithfield, Rhode Island, ACHA D-II). They played other club teams like UNH, UMASS, MIT, Endicott, etc. It was a fun time, wish I got to play club when I went to undergrad, but we only had a varsity program (BC Eagles).

I doubt any of the club teams could beat any of the MN DivIII teams There are some stellar players that have played in the MN small college leagues or even Div II (Bemidji State)

I doubt any of the club teams could beat any of the MN DivIII teams There are some stellar players that have played in the MN small college leagues or even Div II (Bemidji State)

Bemidji state is d1 and in the CHA. no club could beat d1 anymore, believe me. the penn state over robert morris was a fluke, as robert morris was a first yr program

Bemidji state is d1 and in the CHA. no club could beat d1 anymore, believe me. the penn state over robert morris was a fluke, as robert morris was a first yr program

True, Bemidji State went up to DI a few years back. I forgot about that. To me, club hockey compares to good HS hockey perhaps?

To me, club hockey compares to good HS hockey perhaps?

I'd say that's a pretty good categorization, at least from the DII and III club games I've watched in my area. Haven't gotten a chance to check out URI, though, they may be a bit faster.

I play for a very strong ACHA DII team and most of our players were either dominant high school players in the St. Louis area, CSHL Jr. B players, or NAHL Jr. A players. We also have an NCAA DIII transfer. For the most part, our top two lines are Jr. A caliber players and our bottom two lines are Jr. B caliber players. This is true for most better DII teams and average DI teams. The elite ACHA DI programs such as Ohio and Penn State consist entirely of Jr. A caliber players.

Whats the hockey like down in St Louis? I think one of the Stasny boys may have come from there. As for OSU and PSU, do you know for a fact that they're all Junior A players?