Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kitay4

manufacturers cost the RBK 9k's

All I can tell you is that it costs in the area of $20-30 if that for a company to make an OPS. What they sell it to a retailer for is quite a bit more than that.

You don't know anything either. Shut it as well.

It pisses me off that you guys THINK you know everything. It's Monday, I'm in a bad mood, and I'm here to tell you that you don't know shit!

Sorry for your bad mood, I am judging by what a rep told me. If that isn't right, my bad. Lets not turn this site into an arguing one.

Sure, we can agree that his information was wrong and perhaps he was naive for believing it but I'm not sure we need to be calling people stupid for believing what a company rep told them.

Anything you hear from a salesman should be taken with a grain of salt as most have a hard time turning off the "selling mindset."

I remember back when I was a kid, this restaurant I went to had a thing on the back of the menu, explaining why a grilled cheese cost $3.

In other words, the grill cheese sandwich was all about hype. :lol:

So JR, in the prices that they send you along with your catalog wouldn't be the same as the ones my store receives?

The price list is the same for all stores. The cost your store pays for product depends on how many $ of product your store books at beginning of season. More product booked = more $ spent on store purchasing = better discount on product than small shop that can only afford minimum $ booking product. So the online guys buy big, get deep discounts, have lower prices. The LHS pays more for same product but offers you SERVICE!!! So, support your LHS with your $ and you should get service if there is a problem. For the LHS who offers crappy service, he won't be in business long. The online stores don't give a crap about SERVICE because once they have your $, they don't have to service the product they sold you if you have a problem. Ask Gavin if you don't understand that. And this is what makes the world go round in the hockey business.

The price list is the same for all stores. The cost your store pays for product depends on how many $ of product your store books at beginning of season. More product booked = more $ spent on store purchasing = better discount on product than small shop that can only afford minimum $ booking product. So the online guys buy big, get deep discounts, have lower prices. The LHS pays more for same product but offers you SERVICE!!! So, support your LHS with your $ and you should get service if there is a problem. For the LHS who offers crappy service, he won't be in business long. The online stores don't give a crap about SERVICE because once they have your $, they don't have to service the product they sold you if you have a problem. Ask Gavin if you don't understand that. And this is what makes the world go round in the hockey business.

Perfectly put

I understand now. That's why we fail to ever carry many top of the line skates here, and I'm usually stuck ordering via customer discount directly from the company. Thx for the clarification.

I remember back when I was a kid, this restaurant I went to had a thing on the back of the menu, explaining why a grilled cheese cost $3.

Yea, something about the holes in the swiss cheese made the sandwich lighter. :D

Don't forget, manufacturer cost are not just what it cost in materials to make something. They also have to pay for marketing, catalogs, advertising, shipping, endorsements, NHL fees, and a way lot more.

Actually, all manufacturing cost is basically factory overhead, direct materials (in this case what many people were talking about), and indirect materials. Manufacturing cost has nothing to do with what you just said.

And actually, the manufacturing costs of OPS's in what some were saying were probably right on line. However when you factor in R&D, marketing, etc, the price goes up a little. Then add-in they want to make a profit and will probably mark-up their items anywhere from 30-60% and then you end up with the unofficial prices that have been said that most retailers pay for them. Then you add-in that they have to make a profit, and then you end up with the prices of the current items.

The biggest reason in what determines price is demand. That allows companies to mark-up their prices by a larger percentage, which is the main area that causes certain products to cost so much,

Yea, something about the holes in the swiss cheese made the sandwich lighter. :D

Thanks for the laughs!! :)

But how much flex did the sandwich lose when you bit off an inch? ;)

It pisses me off that you guys THINK you know everything. It's Monday, I'm in a bad mood, and I'm here to tell you that you don't know shit!

I said specifically that it was a guess, and not a fact....

Not that it was the final cost or the real price.

If I thought I knew everything, I wouldn't have written that it was my own personal guess...

Could think of a few choice words to say, but why bother when it will only result in more hatefull and stupid remarks on your behalf?...

Last time I checked MSH was supposed to be a place where you can search for information, opinions and share expericences about hockey and equipment.

Do you have something to say on that account, or do you just want to curse some more?........

Don't forget, manufacturer cost are not just what it cost in materials to make something. They also have to pay for marketing, catalogs, advertising, shipping, endorsements, NHL fees, and a way lot more.

Actually, all manufacturing cost is basically factory overhead, direct materials (in this case what many people were talking about), and indirect materials. Manufacturing cost has nothing to do with what you just said.

And actually, the manufacturing costs of OPS's in what some were saying were probably right on line. However when you factor in R&D, marketing, etc, the price goes up a little. Then add-in they want to make a profit and will probably mark-up their items anywhere from 30-60% and then you end up with the unofficial prices that have been said that most retailers pay for them. Then you add-in that they have to make a profit, and then you end up with the prices of the current items.

The biggest reason in what determines price is demand. That allows companies to mark-up their prices by a larger percentage, which is the main area that causes certain products to cost so much,

I'm not talking just manufacturing cost, rather the delivered cost to the retailer. It may only cost $15 in materials/labor to make a stick, but the actual cost to the manufacturer is a lot more. You have to consider all the other costs, not just parts/labor.

I'm not talking just manufacturing cost, rather the delivered cost to the retailer. It may only cost $15 in materials/labor to make a stick, but the actual cost to the manufacturer is a lot more. You have to consider all the other costs, not just parts/labor.

I just covered what manufacturing costs were to clarify any misconceptions up. I'm also pretty certain I very lightly covered what you just said. So I'm kind of lost now with what you are trying to do or where you are trying to go with that.

wow... all this is confusing lol i liked it better when i simply thought i was getting screwed by the stores...

For starters' date=' don't put up "according to various reps around here." 95% of the reps don't know shit when it comes to costs. That is why they sell product to retailers and most of the time, aren't product people. Why would you take them for their word and ask for facts? Maybe use a little common sense to figure out what you were alledgedly told. Here, let me help you out. [/quote']

Isn't saying "according to various reps around here" giving a source of said information? Sure you can go ahead and say that the reps are misinformed but him making that statement is simply giving a source.

This is where you should nicely correct the information but instead you attack him, over what someone else told him. Basically that's like him telling you he is secret service, he flashes you some id. Then I, a secret service agent(for the sake of the arguement), call you an ignorant asshole because you believed him... re-fucking-lax. There's no point in getting all pissy because he was misinformed(assuming that you are correct).

alot of people look up the wholesale price of a car before going new car shopping...

is finding out the wholesale price of hockey equipment any different?

there is a big difference. car dealers are not looking to make a lot of money on the sale of the car, but the maintance of the car. The openly give you the wholesale price of the car because they are willing to sell it for that. No business would give you a price the are unwilling to sell a product for. A LHS has to make money on both the sale and on any repairs or other service related things. It is a lot of fun to run a pro shop and talk hockey all day unless it is your job to figure out the numbers and try to make the shop break even or make a reasonable profit.

alot of people look up the wholesale price of a car before going new car shopping...

is finding out the wholesale price of hockey equipment any different?

there is a big difference. car dealers are not looking to make a lot of money on the sale of the car, but the maintance of the car. The openly give you the wholesale price of the car because they are willing to sell it for that. No business would give you a price the are unwilling to sell a product for. A LHS has to make money on both the sale and on any repairs or other service related things. It is a lot of fun to run a pro shop and talk hockey all day unless it is your job to figure out the numbers and try to make the shop break even or make a reasonable profit.

That first half of the post is completely incorrect. They may look to make money on the maintenance, but that's not where they make the majority of their money.

And no car dealer is going to sell a new car to someone for the invoice price. So I'm not sure what world you are living in, but like I said, without really going into explanations because it's late and I want to go to bed, that first half of the post talking about car sales is just wrong.

it is your job to figure out the numbers and try to make the shop break even or make a reasonable profit.

This is what JR, Jimmy, myself and others do. It is all about numbers. It looks like fun but it is work. I am not complaining because I like it a lot. It takes experience, knowledge, ability to get ahead of the market, ability to see a dog product and tell the rep it is a dog and you will not buy it, working long hours, a few or more than a few idiot customers, and the ability to separate your friends from your business. Because running a pro shop is a business. The bottom line to tie this to the thread is that what we pay for product is really nobody's business but the guys who run the shops.