Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dan_The_Man_16

Summer work out program

Hey I'm just trying to get some ideas for a new summer workout program so I thought I'd see what you guys were up too. If you could post your excercise name - #of reps - weight that would be great. Thanks

do your research, you can't base your workout on someone else's because what your needs are different than any other person on your board. If you need help, just post your goals. Lean mass, speed, acceleration, whatever-- but the point is there's different ways to achive different goals.

pretty much workout every second day, for me I will probably do more heavy lifting, seeing as how I want to bulk up more than increase quickness and agility. So I guess I would be doing work with the bench press, lat pulldown, squats, curls, shoulder raises, etc. And then probably some plyometrics to keep the speed up. Number of reps usually going to be gunning for 8-12, weight is all up to you and what you want to accomplish.

BUT, in the end its up to you, just like hockechamp14 said.

Basically I'm just looking for new ways of lifting, new plyo exercises, etc. I have a workout already but it's starting to get kind of "routine" and I wanna switch it up.

now is the perfect time to get some laps in at the pool if your near one, thats what im gonna do. and im gonna have weights on my legs. im also gonna run like crazy and defianetly some plyometrics.

warm up: (oh yeah for the record im 5'10 180 lbs)

Pull ups 1 set 12 to 15

135 flat bench 2 sets of at least 12

21's (7 half way, 7 the second half and 7 full) Curls (just the bar 45 lbs)

Bike or Elicptical thing, 20 min MIN. (I Hate Running) (usually if im in a rush or am skateing that day i might skip this)

Flat bench 3-4 sets start at 135 (my max with out a spotter is like 205, but thats because im a sissy) the goal is 12 reps.

(all this is on a squat rack)

21's (2-3 sets, 45 52.5 and 60 lbs - but I usually try and up the reps to 10 per)

sholders - 3 straight to the front, 3 to the side - (turn the weith horizontal, then vertical then 180) 20 or 25 lbs

abs (hold a 45 lb weight, and do side bends 20 per side)

Lats/traps (hold the bar thumbs length apart, and pull the bar up to your chin) 75 85 and 95 lbs - sets of 12

shoulders/back - military press, in front of the head. 75 85 95 sets of 12

Legs - squats sets of 15 - 135lbs 185lbs 225lbs

I do 2 or 3 sets and then do a last one with my starting weight for max reps.

then I go crunches

Incline Bench (on a machine, i do close grips and wide, sets of 18 low weight)

leg extensions (I do reverse pyrimids 8,7,6 etc - one leg at a time pretty low weight - I start at 45lbs)

and leg curls (same - reverse pyrimids -one leg at a time - I start a little higher with these, 55 or 60)

Thats it, it takes about an hour if im not being lazy, and yeah I do cut corners if im tired or in a rush.

and this isn't really a hockey work out, I'm a Marine so this is what i use to stay in shape, Hockey is just what I do for fun.

(sorry about the spelling, I have a small brain like a dinosaur)

K I'm 6'1" , 195lbs and my sole goal for the first part of the summer is to gain weight, like 40lbs if possible.

I'm been carrying logs up really steep hills on my back, squatting and so forth. I've read that bulking up your legs are the best way to bulk up. So I will carry a BIG log (10' or so) up and down the hill 10X or so, then go and squat for a while, usually:

- 1X 135lbs, 12 reps

- 5X 185lbs, 10 reps

- 4X 135lbs, 12 reps

I don't use a belt and I go down all the way, till my gluts are touching my archilles (butt to heels). This is interspersed with leg curls, 12 reps with 75lbs, scissor kicks and lunges with 2 55lbs dumbells.

I only do that once every 2-3 days, it takes a bit for your legs to recover.

Other than that I'm just following a powerlifting schedule from bodybuilding.com specifically for hockey, and doing the calisthetics circuits from the hockeyUSA website.

BTW, Nov 10th 1775 (Nice date, I've got a buddy who's in the Marines right now), I'm impressed by how much you're squatting. Are you using a belt?

I dont use a belt, but i dont go near as far down as you go. I go just past 90 degree, on my squats. My knees are junk and im always waiting for the next rep to send my tendons and kneecaps explodeing like a grenade across the gym. (oh and of falling on my as like a total tool).

Yeah I see. My family has a history of indestructable joints (knock on wood) so I'll keep going down as far as the weight will push me. I'll keep you all informed as to how it works.

Sprinting definitely. It really does help better your conditioning a lot! Also try and tone up your muscles, especially core and legs. USA Hockey has many exercises to occupy yourself over the summer so get working!

I've read a load of different pre season plans. The most interesting being a 12 week plan (the flaws to it being time, and the fact i think im too young to do something like that).

So what i will end up doing will be after exams writing up a 10 week plan (including 3 weeks of hockey school), so for the other 7 will will consist of exercises from the 12 week plan, the tabata method, which will be for speed and fat loss, then plyometrics, which i have to look into further, and then hockey technique, which should be taken care of in the 3 weeks of hockey schools.

I'm 16 so am only just starting on the weights, so when i join the gym i will be shown how to use them, but i wont go trigger happy and over do it.

Next season i am hoping to raise my game big time, so this being the first time im going to have a real pre season conditioning program, i hope it all pays off.

There's some good stuff on that website but I would disagree with any of the leg extension exercises----those put a lot of stress on the kneecap/patella.

Speaking of "while watching games" my summer routine consists of working my stickhandling while watching games.

I use a golf ball and my coach's son's cutoff stick, and I just sit there doing quick hands for all 3 periods. It's really good cause you're not tempted to ever look at the ball, I just keep my head up and my hands moving fast.

I've read a load of different pre season plans. The most interesting being a 12 week plan (the flaws to it being time, and the fact i think im too young to do something like that).

So what i will end up doing will be after exams writing up a 10 week plan (including 3 weeks of hockey school), so for the other 7 will will consist of exercises from the 12 week plan, the tabata method, which will be for speed and fat loss, then plyometrics, which i have to look into further, and then hockey technique, which should be taken care of in the 3 weeks of hockey schools.

I'm 16 so am only just starting on the weights, so when i join the gym i will be shown how to use them, but i wont go trigger happy and over do it.

Next season i am hoping to raise my game big time, so this being the first time im going to have a real pre season conditioning program, i hope it all pays off.

for the Tabata method, how does one do this on a stationary bike? what rpm should one be peddling at during the 20sec work interval, and do you stop completely during the 10sec rest interval or pedal at a certain rpm?

for the Tabata method, how does one do this on a stationary bike? what rpm should one be peddling at during the 20sec work interval, and do you stop completely during the 10sec rest interval or pedal at a certain rpm?

The idea of the tabata method is maximum output, so you should be going as fast and as hard as you can for that 20 seconds, if you can chose a difficulty or resistance level i guess you set it according to weather you want to be able to walkor not the next day. For the 10 second interval it is suggested you dont stop completely, but slow down to a leisurly pace (as walking would be to you doing this with sprinting). Do not underestimate this tough, i wouldnt go for the highest difficulty cause your legs actually might fall off!. But whatever difficulty you do it at, you must be going as hard as you can.

Power cleans - 155lbs x 5 reps x 5 sets

Squats, lunges, or lunge walks - squats 225lbs x 5 reps x 4 sets

Romanian deadlifts - 205lbs x 5 reps x 5 sets

Bench presses - 160lbs x 6 reps x 3 sets

Chin-ups / Dips - chin-ups 11,6,3 dips 10,6,4

Back extensions - 10 reps x 3 sets

Weighted situps on incline - 45lbs x 10 reps x 3 sets at 45 degrees

Neck work

39 yrs old (can't stunt my growth), 5'8", 165 lbs

We break up conditioning into off-season, pre-season and in-season. Off-season May-July, Pre-season Aug-Sept. My daughter is 14, so no or very little weights. Tons of weight not so critical for hockey anyway, as someone said earlier - low weight/higher reps better for most hockey programs - depends on your goals/needs.

She's doing a 2x week program specifically designed for off-season hockey...lunge/squat/sit-ups/push ups and dynamic exercises to increase strength (like throwing a medicine ball "through" the concrete wall). Will move to 3x week in August.

Pilates 2x week for additional core strength and stability. Year round.

Plyometrics 2 x week for speed and agility - a bit now and moving into 3x week in August when program changes to preseason. Reduced to 2x week when season picks up cuz replaced by on-ice stuff.

Skating 2x week on a skating treadmill - moving to 3x week in August. Have you seen one of these? VERY cool. This will correct some technique issues and the overspeed program will increase her on-ice speed. Check out www.ntchockey.com

Also skating on-ice roughly 2x week in May-June - moving to about 100 hours on-ice in the summer.

ANAEROBIC - one of the key points for hockey

The focus for speed and quickness is building anaerobic conditioning. The anerobic system works to a max at 20sec and then continues to about :45 and is toast by roughly 1:20. Gee...that matches the ideal hockey shift at :45 to 1 min - there's science behind this!!

So, to build anaerobic conditioning...no to jogging which just builds cardio and slow titch muscles and yes to wind sprints and other quick interval training. The thing MOST people get impatient over is the REST in between. To build your anerobic load it is critical to rest - usually 1:3 or 1:4 ratio - such as FLAT out for 20 secs and rest for 60 secs. That is key to the process....and geee...THAT matches hockey shifts too, imagine that!!!

Some cardio work - mainly playing soccer 2-3 x week. Also important for "Life Beyond Hockey"

Just re-read this...I've never written her program down before - it sounds like one of those "over-the-top" fanatics!! HA! Well...if the skate fits, wear it. Good thing we're NOT training like she's an NHL prospect!! HA!

hey hockeymom,

too much anaroebic too early in the sumer is probably not really good. do calithetics and other things early, then move to sprinting and tabatha before the season starts.

I'm only saying this because I remember wondering what to do at that age, knowing that older athletes would use this early offseason to put on weight in the weightroom with hypertrophy sessions.

http://www.usahockey.com/coaching/main_site/main/home//

http://www.crossfit.com/

Here are 2 sites that are awesome resources for everyone during the offseason, but especially for younger ones who shouldn't be spending hours bulking up in the weightroom.

Now, off to the weightroom for me!

Personally I'm not doing any (if you don't count powerlifting and carrying really big objects up hills) anaerobic until Sept. but that's cause Senior A season doesn't start until October and college club doesn't start until late October.

So if by anaerobic you mean sprinting, ladders, fartlek and cycles, then no I'm not doing anything until Sept.

Although I must say that my program is not going to be a good determiner for someone 8 years younger than me. Cause I am technically doing anaerobic (powerlifting etc) now.

For someone younger, honestly if you look at most research-level plyometrics etc, it's basically the same thing as hopscotch, which might not be as "cool" for a 14 year old, but certainly would't contribute to burnout as much as ciruit training would. And that is anaerobic. You really need to mix it up at that age. Street hockey is probably one of the greatest anaerobic workouts ever, and I remember playing hours of it out in 110 degree weather in California. I would limit the hard, structured, anaerobic workouts to very low resistance stuff (easy plyos, sprints) and even then, keep it to the final buildup before the season.