Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vapor

Can your notebook do this

Check slickdeals.net and buy a Dell deal when it comes up. And once you have a PC, never pay for software again, because you can find it free with a multitude of p2p options.

Yeah, and you also get multitudes of spyware and Viruses from P2P also? What if you spent your life as a programer only to have your work stolen from you? Pay for your software, why would you steal it, really? Are you proud?

And by the way, P2P programs are plenlty avalible for the mac. Programs like limewire that search the same Guntella network as alllll of the PC programs. BitTorrent is also avalible for the mac. And you can run windows on a mac sooo.. yeahh.

Hi Vapor,

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.....Have a question if you don't mind...

When I tried to add a network (at Gram's) to my daughter's ibook, I ended up screwing up her internet connection at home. Network status says "airport is connected to the network home. Airport has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet"

When I couldn't figure this out, I went through network wizard and started a new network (now deleted) but it hasn't changed. Any ideas or do I just do my usual ... go grovel to my IT guys on Monday and let them laugh at me after they've done the 45 second fix?

Appreciate it if you can help me avoid uproarious ridicule!!!

It sounds like there is a problem with your DHCP server not re-assigning you an IP Address. An easy fix may be powercycling (unplugging and plugging back in) your router.

Another thing it can be is that your airport settings are screwed up. Go to system preferences (Click the apple logo then system preferences). Click on Network. Under Location make sure it says automatic, then under show make sure it says airport. Under the Airport tab, make sure it says By Default join: Automatic. Then go to the TCP/IP Tab and make sure Configure IPv4 says Using DHCP (Im assuming it may say manual). Also, try clicking renew DHCP lease. After all of that, you should be good to go. It may be a problem with your router though, but it is hard to say.

I screwed this up a couple of weeks ago so I can't remember now exactly what I did.

Already tried turning router on/off, already on automatic, already says Using DCHP

And I just did it/checked it again to make sure.

Clicked on renew lease...no joy. I can SO hear the lads beginning to chuckle now.

The router must be working ok cause my powerbook - soon to be tossed out for a macbook - works fine.

* I changed the router around this time, but shouldn't automatic just pick it up? My pwrbk did

* Is it possible I changed the tcp number when I was trying to connect it into the the farms' internet connection? (like I said, I can't remember my steps).

She's got the @#?! pc, so it's not like she's crippled w/o the internet - just that the ipod is domiciled on the mac and apparently this is a CRISIS. LOL. The IT guys just LOVE taking shots at me - any more ideas or do I just have to suck it up?

Make sure in the menu bar that the ibook is connected to the correct network (whatever you have named it). Turn Airport off and then on again, and select your netowork.

Thanks Vapor...no joy I'm afraid, but I'm going to take a fresh stab at it later today. I did notice that the router # isn't showing up under the TCP/IP tab, so might try hardwiring it. After that I'll likely delete the network and start over from the get go.

A question...Do you think I am better off replacing this ibook w a 12" macbook or just loading virtual pc onto the ibook? (It's processing speed is fine). I'm thinking she'll likely dropkick the laptop at some point (kids being kids) and the ibook is off warranty. Got to get her off the pc cuz I'm spending far too much of my life chasing viruses on it.

Thanks Vapor, you rock!

Have you ever used Virtual PC on a PowerPC Mac? It is PAINFULL. The reason it is so slow is because the old macs and PCs used different processors. The Virtual PC software had to emmulate the software AND the hardware (using rosetta) which was just HORRIBLE. I would go with a macbook, they are about 3x faster and come with more features (isight camera, dvd burner, intel processor, widescreen display, and much more). Windows on the intel macs actually runs FASTER than it does on a regular pc.

Done...won't do it. Will trade in the ibook on a macbook, although it'll mean I have to wait a bit longer to get one for me. (sigh) But I can get rid of the pc (YES!)

Thanks Vapor...no joy I'm afraid, but I'm going to take a fresh stab at it later today. I did notice that the router # isn't showing up under the TCP/IP tab, so might try hardwiring it. After that I'll likely delete the network and start over from the get go.

A question...Do you think I am better off replacing this ibook w a 12" macbook or just loading virtual pc onto the ibook? (It's processing speed is fine). I'm thinking she'll likely dropkick the laptop at some point (kids being kids) and the ibook is off warranty. Got to get her off the pc cuz I'm spending far too much of my life chasing viruses on it.

Thanks Vapor, you rock!

No, when you set up the other network, you assigned it an IP. You need to go into the "Local Network Adapter" or the "wireless connection" (I've only done this in Panther so forgive me) and in the "IP Settings" tab, make sure that it's set to "Assign IP address dynamically" or whatever it says. Then hit apply, and it will connect to your DHCP server on the router right away.

Sorry I can't tell you exactly what the options are, I gave my last iBook to my dad a few months ago :( :(

Vapor do you know anywhere I can download games for mac? I really want some old school stuff like Doom and Duke Nukem.

Not going to happen, unless you use an emulator or compile (from source) an open-source version of the VERY old games.

Unless you can dual-boot into windows or something (like with the new intell procs) you're going to be stuck with WOW and Battlefield. etc

No, when you set up the other network, you assigned it an IP. You need to go into the "Local Network Adapter" or the "wireless connection" (I've only done this in Panther so forgive me) and in the "IP Settings" tab, make sure that it's set to "Assign IP address dynamically" or whatever it says. Then hit apply, and it will connect to your DHCP server on the router right away.

Sorry I can't tell you exactly what the options are, I gave my last iBook to my dad a few months ago :( :(

Then it would be set up under manually, not using DHCP.

I screwed something up somehow. I took my laptop to my school where it has wireless. You need to take your laptop to the tech guy there and he punches some numbers in for the proxy the internet needs or something. Now when i go home to use dial-up it connects fine, but Safari doesnt load anything. Any suggestions?

Thinks a single functional OS Release is fine... yeahh hmm sp2... Thousands of critical updates... yes, very functional. Macs have right click. The rest is uhhh yeaa

hey vapor, I will very soon be switching to a Macbook from a pc and I would like to be able to run both OS X and Windows XP. I talked to a sales person my local apple store and they suggested using boot camp which allows you to choose between OS X or Windows XP at start up but I want to be able to switch OS’s without having to reboot the macbook, but I have idea where to buy the software online. thanks in advance!

Yeah i can get onto the internet, it says its connected and shows activity in the sending/receiving thing in Internet Connect. Nothing loads though, safari, msn, limewire

wait, you use dial up right? Are you sure you do not have airport on, it will override a modem