Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vapor

Can your notebook do this

a motion sensor hack allowing you to tap the macbook and switch enviorments

Running THREE Operating Systems at once!

(windows xp, Ubuntu Linux, and of course OS X)

it can dual boot windows xp, and it can virtualize anything...

Dual booting means you can boot into either windows or os x when your computer starts up, so you are using each operating system independently

Virtualization is done within OS X. You can run windows, linux, openbsd, anything your little heart desires. Additional software (for about 30 bucks) is required.

The second video is an example of virtualization.

the macbooks start at 1100. The first link can be done for free. The second link can be done with some 30 dollar software.

this is an example of virtualization on a mac mini. Shorter video, right to the point

This is a good program for those who made the mistake of buying a mac in the first place right?

Buy a Mac and use it as a pc...or pay half as much and use a pc...as a pc.

I dont see many people getting a program so they can run OS X on a pc.

The monitor sensor is cool though, by hitting and damaging your mac, you can make it a pc, RESULT

Because, currently, it is not possible. OSX uses EFI, and PCs use BIOS.

You get the best of both worlds, a secrure, clean, great operating system, and you can use windows... if you have to...if you HAVE to.

Because, currently, it is not possible. OSX uses EFI, and PCs use BIOS.

You get the best of both worlds, a secrure, clean, great operating system, and you can use windows... if you have to...if you HAVE to.

Well, you could just run OS X for x86 if you wanted OS X on your PC. If you wanted to run the real OS that the OS X windowing system runs on, FreeBSD, you can run that on any Intel (PC) based machine as it was ported from PC to the PowerPC chip for the Apple when the went from OS9 to OS X. (minus the GUI of course)

Virtualization can be done on pretty much any Linux based OS and it certainly isn't anything new (mainframe technology from the 70's), any PC can do this with the right software. I can switch between the OSes with ALT-TAB just as quick as the dude in that video. As for the thing that switches to another OS when you hit your machine... :ph34r:

So, I guess, yes, my notebook can do most of that (more or less) ;)

neat-o stuff, especially the part about thwacking your new $1500 notebook :ph34r: . does a macbook run faster than a PC notebook of comparable price though?

virtualization can be done on pretty much any Linux based OS and it certainly isn't anything new (mainframe technology from the 70's), any PC can do this with the right software. I can switch between the OSes with ALT-TAB just as quick as the dude in that video. As for the thing that switches to another OS when you hit your machine... :blink:

So, I guess, yes, my notebook can do most of that (more or less) ;)

I was talking about dual booting. That was why i mentionied bios and efi

neat-o stuff, especially the part about thwacking your new $1500 notebook :blink: . does a macbook run faster than a PC notebook of comparable price though?

early benchmarks show that windows xp actually runs FASTER on mac than it does on a similairly speced pc.

Are you meaning to say, that Mac can run Windows XP?

The new G5's can run Windows also.

no they cannot. What new G5s?

You can dual boot a PC with OSX and windows

OSX on X86

It can also run within XP via VMWare.

I have all the files for it, once I get my new hard drive ill take some pics of it.

interesting... I ran through it quickly, skimmed through. I dont know how they got it to boot via basic input output system...

Yeah, im not quite sure either. I remember when Apple first announced they were going to be using Intel chips that the issue about the OS was EFI. I didn't really follow it much after that and now i guess it works.

I really want to install it now, but ive screwed up my boot sector so many times dual booting that I just prefer to use a different hard drive now =D so i just bought a cheap 40GB off ebay and have to wait till that comes to test it out.

well i read a little more, and it looks like that are just mounting an image of the os onto a disk. It will boot into bios and then from there into osx.

EFI is a newer supperior technology developed by Intel and Microsoft in tandum. The funny thing is that Windows Vista will be using the 20+ year old BIOS to boot. Ohhhh microsoft....

Vista is really becoming more and more of a dissapointment. I just saw an article that it may (read as will) be delayed again.

I have it running on my second hard drive right now, I'm not impressed in the least. Unless they make big changes between Beta 2 and final I dont see myself buying it. Really the only reason to get it anymore is for the eye candy.

I have "official" beta two tunning on my (cough)pc(cough) and its an improvment from xp... which is not saying much. I remember beta testing Whistler (XP) back in the day. I got the beta off the irc, of course. Them were the days. I had so many problems trying to install beta2, I had to format my drive 2x. Ther was nothing on the (looks around, and whispers) pc... so it really didnt matter.

I dual booted (linux and OSX) my G4 iBook for years, MacBook is certainly on my "to purchase" list. But I need to settle on the white or the black. I really liked the white iBook, but it's hard to keep clean.

I am not a huge apple fan. I am a gamer, and they just dont come out with many games (and when they do, its limited and usually quite a while after its initial release). But for notebooks, a mac is the only way to go (unless youre one of those idiots that buy a notebook thinking that its going to be able to play current games.. and even if you did, it would cost much more than $1,100).