Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vapor

Can your notebook do this

I dual booted (linux and OSX) my G4 iBook for years, MacBook is certainly on my "to purchase" list. But I need to settle on the white or the black. I really liked the white iBook, but it's hard to keep clean.

From what I've heard, the black is a matte black, not a glossy black. Alot of people have said they look just like plain PC laptops in black.

It all personal prefernce though. Me personally I'd get the black if it was glossy but otherwise I'd go with the white.

neat-o stuff, especially the part about thwacking your new $1500 notebook  :ph34r: .  does a macbook run faster than a PC notebook of comparable price though?

early benchmarks show that windows xp actually runs FASTER on mac than it does on a similairly speced pc.

I'm sorry but this is a bunch of hogwash. You cannot compare apples to oranges, anywhere. (forgive the pun)

I'm sorry but this is a bunch of hogwash.  You cannot compare apples to oranges, anywhere.  (forgive the pun)

i dont get it... xp has been running faster on macs...

http://www.macworld.com/2006/04/firstlooks...marks/index.php

I've had OSX 10.4.1 running on my PC for the past couple days. I can't do any quantitive tests, but it boots into OSX faster than the PowerPC G4s ive used. Haven't used a Intel Mac yet so I can't give a comparison on those.

My friend said he tested OSX on a P3 vs. OSX on a iMac 20" core duo in rendering a quicktime movie and the P3 was much faster.

Funny how it seems each OS runs better on the other's platform.

OSX86 runs great on my PC with a few minor issues. Resolution for most video cards is limited to 1280x1024, a few files need to be edited/patched to get some soundcards and ethernet cards working. Quartz Extreme doesn't work on all computers.

However it runs well enough that I feel comfortable using it day to day. The only apps that run slow are Adobe programs which still havent been written in Intel binaries so they run slow on real Mac's as well. Everything is really responsive, not sluggish what so ever, no delays when using finder, Safari runs great, iTunes works just as it should.

I'm really impressed, if support for some hardware (I want to be able to use my 20" widescreen LCD!!!) is improved I will probably switch to it from windows.

what do you mean adobe runs slow on real macs? You mean the powerpc native apps on the intel macs?

from what i've heard, the adobe graphics and video suites don't run as fast as they should on Intel Macs because they aren't written to run on Intel processors. Because of this they have to run using Rosetta which for most programs works very well (even on my PC) but for programs like Photoshop that are CPU intensive, they run slower. Its been said that Photoshop runs at about 45% of full speed on an Intel Mac using Rosetta.

Once Adobe releases a new version of Photoshop intended for Intel Macs it will run just fine.

Yes, of course. I thought you meant Photoshop always ran slow on macs, even with native software.

sounds a little odd. Does it mount or just go in and out? If it dosent even mount it sounds like a disc error for sure. Go to wherever you bought it and demand a new one.

My friend bought one up at college. The thing is fricking amazing.

He was playing Counter-Strike wirelessly and without a battery hookup. The thing was running so smoothly.

Simply amazing.

sounds a little odd. Does it mount or just go in and out? If it dosent even mount it sounds like a disc error for sure. Go to wherever you bought it and demand a new one.

It would just read if for a few second then spit it back out, but it eventually went in and I got it installed. Every other disc has worked fine, so i don't think its the computer. Having trouble getting the dial-up to work now. Takes a while to get used to coming from windows, but its really nice.

why you using dial up? Did you buy the 50 dollar modem form apple? Im sure somebody near you has an unprotected wireless network... or even a protected wireless network (you can use kismac to crack the encryption)

Live way out in the middle of nowhere, don't have sattelite highspeed. It will suffice for the next 5 or so months until I move out for university.

Live way out in the middle of nowhere, don't have sattelite highspeed. It will suffice for the next 5 or so months until I move out for university. Yeah I bought the little modem from apple.

I was going to say, how bout some sattelite... but wow, that sucks... you can get high speed form your mobile comapny. They can give you a pc card (although it wont work in a macbook, no pc card slot)

When I built the machine to have the same specs as the mbp, it cost about 2200, but it seems that there is a coupon for 34% off which gets you to around 1400. I am not sure how long this coupon lasts, but its a great deal. You dont get os x tho... so thats worth 500 bucks... right?

My friend bought one up at college. The thing is fricking amazing.

He was playing Counter-Strike wirelessly and without a battery hookup. The thing was running so smoothly.

Simply amazing.

Wow, he can play a 7 year old game on a brand new laptop? Awesome :huh:

right now I am running three operating systems, and it is running as smooth as a babys bottom. I am running OS X, Windows XP PRO, and Kubuntu (ubuntu linux with kde desktop). I have desktop manager running in the background so I have each of the operating systems running at full screen. I can switch to them with a hotkey (shft arrow) or by smacking my mackbook like the videos on the first page. I <3 my mackbook.

notttt funnnny... boooooo. Sure you can get rid of a virus, but what about a worm or something that comes in the backdoor and corrupts all your files before you know you have it.

Vapor, if you have a pc hardware running OSX could you still get viruses? And is upgrading to a macbook pro worth it from my ibook G4 (14 inch-superdrive)? What features will I gain from upgrading?

no, as long as you run os x (as you are now) you will not get a virus. I would without a doubt upgrade form the ibook to the mbp. the processor is at least 5x faster, comes with more ram, a bigger screen, backlit keyboard, an isight camera, dedicated video card, and soooo many more featuers

notttt funnnny... boooooo. Sure you can get rid of a virus, but what about a worm or something that comes in the backdoor and corrupts all your files before you know you have it.

ahhhh, no problems here. Dont take it tooo personally ;)