Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steveo

Hockeymonkey Shipping to Canada

Just wondering if anybody from here has ordered from HockeyMonkey into Canada. I've heard the fees UPS charges are outragous but I was wondering just how much they were.

I really want to get another pair of 8090's while they have them so cheap...

Just wondering if anybody from here has ordered from HockeyMonkey into Canada. I've heard the fees UPS charges are outragous but I was wondering just how much they were.

I really want to get another pair of 8090's while they have them so cheap...

Chances are it's going to be cheaper to buy them from your LHS. The last 2 times I've had shit UPS'd to me has been BAD. I bought some gloves off here for 60 bucks US, and the brokerage/duty fees ended up being just over 40 dollars Canadian.

Just go through the checkout and you can see how much shipping will be. You don't have to pay to see how much it will be.

Just go through the checkout and you can see how much shipping will be. You don't have to pay to see how much it will be.

It's not the shipping they bastardize you with. It's when it gets sent through customs, and UPS kicks you in the ass with brokerage/duty fees that are a COD, you have to pay them when they deliver the package to your door.

It's not the shipping i'm wondering about, it's UPS' brokerage fee.

It's not the shipping i'm wondering about, it's UPS' brokerage fee.

Yea sorry, just noticed that.

I've had good experiences with UPS, I shipped 16 inline wheels with no brokerage charges from HockeyGiant, and I also got an SL off eBay and they didn't charge me anything either, I was really surprised.

AVOID UPS LIKE THE PLAGUE!! do not ever buy anything across border if they will not ship without UPS.

What he said!!!

Never use UPS Standard/Ground shipping on anything coming across the border. They'll screw you big time for "brokerage" fees unless the value of the package is under $5.

If you live close enough to the border, there are usually places in the US border towns that are package receiving depots. I got my ePuck order shipped to one and drove down to pick it up. Even though ePuck offers shipping via USPS airmail it was still cheaper for me.

$7.99 flat rate shipping + $2 depot fee

VS.

$20 USPS airmail + $5 Canada Post brokerage + GST and duties

i got raped on brokerage fees. Ordered some bike parts last year and when it came to my door, a $56 COD brokerage fee was slapped on. Wasn't too impressed.

I shipped some stuff I sold on Ebay to a guy, and getting it across the border to Canada was a real hoot. Apparently it shows up, gets put to the side, some agent (an independent company) gets the info and calls you on the phone, I gave him the contact info of the buyer, the buyer has to somehow pay the duty, and then it move on.

Maybe there is some more efficient way to ship stuff, but it all seemed like an incredible bureaucraticmanual nightmare to me! It also seemed like the hockey companies conspire to keep Canadian retail prices high, because they make it almost impossible to buy stuff on sale in the US and ship it up to Canada.

Never use UPS Standard/Ground shipping on anything coming across the border. They'll screw you big time for "brokerage" fees unless the value of the package is under $5.

If you live close enough to the border, there are usually places in the US border towns that are package receiving depots. I got my ePuck order shipped to one and drove down to pick it up. Even though ePuck offers shipping via USPS airmail it was still cheaper for me.

VS.

I like the sound of that, I wouldn't mind driving to Niagara Falls to pick up a package. How do you set it up with Hockeymonkey? Do you just give them the address of the UPS outlet?

I just drove up from NY to Toronto, and I remember passing one of these Mail depots right along the highway a few miles from the Canadian border. I think it was along 190 in Niagra falls. There was a big sign you can read from the highway saying something like "let your business have a US mail address".

Hey I got some info for you about this issue.

There is a way you can avoid the brokers fees and all. I don't know if UPS does it by I know my beloved FEDEX does. The trick is to find the location where is delivered to and go there and clear the package your self. They are usually located at the airports.

Another option is to have it shipped by express. UPS claims if you ship by experess or expectited you will not pay those stupid fees.

Or the easiest thing is to find someone in the states and have them ship it to you. Ask them to shit it as a gift and put a low value on it (like 50.00 USD).

Or the easiest thing is to find someone in the states and have them ship it to you. Ask them to shit it as a gift and put a low value on it (like 50.00 USD).

the only problem with that is if I need to make a claim, I'd be out $150

I think i'm going to call to see if Hockeymonkey will ship it to a UPS outlet.

ask them to ship it express, or 2 day, might cost a little more, but should be less than what you would have to pay for brokerage.

so pay a little extra for shipping, plus pay pst/gst.

i know fedex does this, i think ups does too.. but check with both of them

in other words, express/2day does not charge extra for brokerage

Never use UPS Standard/Ground shipping on anything coming across the border.  They'll screw you big time for "brokerage" fees unless the value of the package is under $5.

If you live close enough to the border, there are usually places in the US border towns that are package receiving depots.  I got my ePuck order shipped to one and drove down to pick it up.  Even though ePuck offers shipping via USPS airmail it was still cheaper for me.

VS.

I like the sound of that, I wouldn't mind driving to Niagara Falls to pick up a package. How do you set it up with Hockeymonkey? Do you just give them the address of the UPS outlet?

You need to find a receiving place first. Some of them make you fill out some form in person and show ID before you can use their service (apparently the US postal regs changed after 9/11). But I managed to find a small mom and pop place that didn't ask for any paperwork.

I don't know about Hockey Monkey but ePuck didn't care that my shipping address was different than my credit card billing address as long as it was shipped within the US. I just addressed the package to myself c/o the receiving depot address and that was it. The package was shipped UPS and I just checked the tracking to know when it arrived.

I figure I probably broke even on the gas for trip too by filling up across the border.

I spent a couple hours yesterday on the phone and I must say Hockeymonkey are douch bags. All in all it's going to be a hassle and I think they woud end up effing up my order. I've decided to go with Cylone Taylor. They have way better customer service and not only that, I can feel better about supporting a fellow Canadians economy ;)

really the difference is minimal once I factor in driving to Niagara Falls and back, and then paying the taxes on the skates. Plus, with CT, they will be delivered to my door with full insurance, a tracking number and nothing to pay at door.

I spent a couple hours yesterday on the phone and I must say Hockeymonkey are douch bags. All in all it's going to be a hassle and I think they woud end up effing up my order. I've decided to go with Cylone Taylor. They have way better customer service and not only that, I can feel better about supporting a fellow Canadians economy ;)

really the difference is minimal once I factor in driving to Niagara Falls and back, and then paying the taxes on the skates. Plus, with CT, they will be delivered to my door with full insurance, a tracking number and nothing to pay at door.

yes but at ct the prices are soooo expensive for a senior v120 199.99$ they have them at hockey monkey for 99.99 but i dont know....

I spent a couple hours yesterday on the phone and I must say Hockeymonkey are douch bags. All in all it's going to be a hassle and I think  they woud end up effing up my order. I've decided to go with Cylone Taylor. They have way better customer service and not only that, I can feel better about supporting a fellow Canadians economy  ;)

yes but at ct the prices are soooo expensive for a senior v120 199.99$ they have them at hockey monkey for 99.99 but i dont know....

He's talking about skates... not sticks.

really the only place i would order from is peranis/1800faceoff. I order my girdle and gloves. hassle free and barely any brokerage to pay.