Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vash

Ebay ethics question?

i have a question for everybody here. I recently sold a stick shaft on ebay. I had no idea that there was a minor crack on the stick. I had used the stick and there were no problems with it. The buyer sends me a picture of the crack, and says the shaft is no useable. It looks like it may or may not be a crack to me. But I won't question him since i can't be positive anyways that it is not.

He says he wants a full refund of the ebay price and shipping. In addition if i want the shaft back i'm going to have to pay shipping. Is that fair? I've never dealt with a situation like this before

untitled4lz.th.jpg

If you looked over the stick and didn't see a problem before you posted it for sale, I would expect him to cover shipping back to you.

I can't be positive that the stick was not cracked because it looked like a very small mark in his picture, so it wouldn't be out of hte qeustion that i missed it when i inspected it. So basically what he's implying is that i give him a free stick. I already offered a refund minus his shipping.

I can't be positive that the stick was not cracked because it looked like a very small mark in his picture, so it wouldn't be out of hte qeustion that i missed it when i inspected it. So basically what he's implying is that i give him a free stick. I already offered a refund minus his shipping.

Tell him you are sorry there is a crack on the stick. You did inspect it, and did not see a crack on the stick, however you will, in the interest of remaining in good standing as a seller, refund him the full price, minus the cost of shipping.

If he says that is not good enough, you file with e-bay, state you offered amicable resolution, and that you did not see the crack when you done an inspection. Say you have offered a refund less shipping, which you think is fair, because at the time of shipping the stick, your inspection showed no flaws.

The buyer does not want to accept your offer so you feel like it would be good for the e-bay folks to moderate the settlement (the used to do that, like salary arbitration, they would look at the case, and make a decision, not sure if they still do, have not bought or sold anything in about 5 years on ebay)

I also feel like it looks more like a skate mark than a crack. If you look at the wear pattern on the picture i posted...it looks like a skate might have scratched the paint off and then dug into the shaft creating that mark.

I just feel like the absurd thing is he basically wants to keep the shaft on top of a refund. So if it is just a skate cut, then he's gotten a stick for free.

This guy sounds like he is trying to scam you. I think if you make a reasonable offer with him and he refuses there isn't much you can do. Unfortunately its likely that you will get negative feedback from him unless you bend over and take one from him.

-dave

I ask him to send it back to you to get a full refund or to shut the hell up! :D

agreed. That's BS man, I think he is trying to scam you. If he isn't willing to at least send the stick back to you then that is ridiculous.

I ask him to send it back to you to get a full refund or to shut the hell up! :D

agreed. That's BS man, I think he is trying to scam you. If he isn't willing to at least send the stick back to you then that is ridiculous.

I agree as well. It doesnt even look like it is a signifcant mark/"crack". at least get him to cover shipping or dont refund him.

If you looked over it and saw no such problem, although you could have over looked it, he could be responsible or could have happened during shipping. I personally would not refund the money if I was certain there was no such problem at time of sale. Tell him you're not responsible for the UPS guy taking a few shots in the back of the truck...

i have a question for everybody here. I recently sold a stick shaft on ebay. I had no idea that there was a minor crack on the stick. I had used the stick and there were no problems with it. The buyer sends me a picture of the crack, and says the shaft is no useable. It looks like it may or may not be a crack to me. But I won't question him since i can't be positive anyways that it is not.

He says he wants a full refund of the ebay price and shipping. In addition if i want the shaft back i'm going to have to pay shipping. Is that fair? I've never dealt with a situation like this before

untitled4lz.th.jpg

that shit cant make the shaft totally unusable, thats pretty much absurd

I'm with everyone else, he sends the stick back and you refund him for the stick and one set of shipping since he would have paid twice, but you can't refund him for the stick without getting the stick back from him.

I just feel like the absurd thing is he basically wants to keep the shaft on top of a refund. So if it is just a skate cut, then he's gotten a stick for free.

He can't legally do that (keep the shaft and get a refund). Either you get the shaft back and give him the refund (if he wants) or, well I don't know the legal alternative.

I was thinking there's no way taht shaft is not useable. But i was just wanted to get some opinions first. I definitely flex it to make sure it wasn't goin to break before i posted it for sale.

He basically said to me "I'll send it back given you pay shipping though i don't know why you would want it back"

Lesson learned after this. In all likelihood i'm goin to take a negative feedback for this. I'm still appalled that this guy is not only asking for a refund, but for me to pay him to get the stick back also.

Call his bluff. Tell him to send the shaft back; If it's cracked, he'll get a full refund & shipping both ways . If it's a skate mark, he gets item refund & no shipping.

If it's worse than his picture (sabatage) he gets nothing!

I have never heard of someone getting a full refund including shipping, it just doesn't happen. Either he sends the stick back to you and you refund him the sale price of the stick or he keeps it and you keep the money, it's really pretty simple.

Call his bluff. Tell him to send the shaft back; If it's cracked, he'll get a full refund & shipping both ways . If it's a skate mark, he gets item refund & no shipping.

If it's worse than his picture (sabatage) he gets nothing!

Yeh but wether its a skate mark or a crack when he gets it back he's kinda lost

I'm also guessing you said on ebay that this was used with some scrathces?

"This is a used Easton Z-bubble shaft. This is one original Z-Bubbles with the milky grip. This has been used sporatically for a couple years. Its still in great condition because I rotate the many sticks that i have. I'd say its out of a 10 its a 7.5 condition wise. The stick measures 48 inches without the endplug and the flex on the stick is 85. I'll include the wooden endplug with the shaft. Shipping is $12 in the US. "

That's the description from my auction. I said i used it for a couple years and said its a 7.5 out of 10 condition. So i made it clear it was not in perfect condition.

I sell stuff all the time on ebay. I usually post a refund policy that states they MUST contact me within 2 days of receiving shippment for a refund.

I've once and a while refunded shipping fees but most my stuff was shipping < $10. It's sort of a cost of doing business to keep customer's happy if you do that long term.

NEVER refund ANY amount until the merchandise is returned. You are the seller. Sellers on ebay are in control. If they post negative feedback, you can always respond in a calm manor as to how you offered refund if they sent it back.

BTW, good description, Buyer is a weenie. offer to review the item and refund once it's returned. Do not offer additional shipping refunds.

I would definatly not refund the shipping...and surely wouldnt refund anything UNTIL I got the shaft back in my hands to look at it myself...So what he leaves you one negative feedback, you can always respond under his negative feedback and give an explanation...that wont hurt your standing with future customers at all....But for future knowledge Id have a return policy either the 2 day thing or no return at all....