Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johnpace2

Best surface material to practice stick handling?

So I've decided that I need to practice with a golf ball, etc for 15 minutes per day in my house. Problem is nice hardwood floors and carpet in the basement.

I was thinking some type of plexiglass sheet or hard plastic in the size of 4 feet by 4 feet would be what I'm looking for.

Anyone have any recomendations? I'm thinking I could get this from Home Depot or something.

I have low pile carpeting or whatever it's called in the basement which works pretty well.

I also have taken a piece of plexiglass out of a large picture frame I bought from Ikea, that works alright although it's a bit small.

i guess plexiglass is okay, but i dunno. if your inside, it should be okay. outside it gets hot, and it feels like when a puck gets hot. they puck and glass stick together and don't slide, so you have to use a lubricant like PAM spray (or KY jelly *wink*) to make it slide.

THE BEST MATERIAL if you can get it is a piece of HDPE (high density polyethelene) sheeting. get it HERE it is around $50 for a sheet 48x48 1/8 thick, but it is what they make synthetic ice out of.

otherwise i personally recommend a piece of plywood (the really smooth stuff that is in layers)... around here you can get a sheet of 1/2 inch white birch wood for around $20 it is 4' x 8'. very smooth and ice-like, also very friendly on your sticks.

i broke one piece of plex already doing slappers.

just be sure not to hit the edge of the wood or it will splinter your blade, it did this to me.

try and find some peices of sport court, spider court or ice court. It snaps together and is what roller hockey is played on. You can find it on ebay and some other places online.

I went to a flooring store and bought a left over piece of linoleum. Works pretty well and worse case would run you $5 - $10.

THE BEST MATERIAL if you can get it is a piece of HDPE (high density polyethelene) sheeting.  get it HERE  it is around $50 for a sheet 48x48 1/8 thick,  but it is what they make synthetic ice out of. 

Yeah this is exactly what I got. Good stuff. I also spray a silicon spray on it.

You could try going to an office supplie store and buying a sheet a plastic that you would put over the floor in your home office so your chair can roll around.

I do it on my laminate flooring.

Awesome stuff....my whole basement is made of it. Its pretty much indestructible too. Even just a small square of it would be all you need.

I do it on my laminate flooring.

Awesome stuff....my whole basement is made of it. Its pretty much indestructible too. Even just a small square of it would be all you need.

Yeah, I live in a condo and we have laminate and tile. Good stuff to use.

My bf and I were just doing some passes with my smart ball the other night and its no worse for wear. My SCREEN on the other hand...

If you can find it, try looking for a material called UHMW. Its an industrial grade polyethylene (plastic). You can find it in sheet form in like 1/4" to 1/2" thick.

Its pretty tough stuff, I think used in gravel hoppers, or where load bearing surfaces need little friction. The point is, it is very slippery, just like ice and won't scratch up. Plexi tends to have quite a bit more friction.

The down side is it might be hard to find, and can be expensive. But considering your LHS sells little 3 x 2 boards for $99 bucks, you could probably get more for your money. Look for the White stuff, I know the black isn't quite the same surface quality. Another option I found from a local industrial plastics place was good ol' rink board (could be polyethylene?). About the same price for a 4' x 8' sheet.

But if you can get UHMW, its the bomb.

Does no one have a basement?

My basement is fully carpeted...

Mine is half crapeting and half reall nice and new hardwood floors. My mom already got mad when she saw some marks on it from me...so now I go outside with a smarthockey ball...

Marble floor with some dust on it and a frozen puck. Wonderful!

Also roller puck with some lead weights on it (to match ice puck weight) works good if you havent good surface.

Still have to try to put grease on the floor, but i doubt my mom will appreciate. :lol:

get yourself a 2lb puck, spray the hdpe with some PAM spray, get-r-done... really works your wrists. phat pucks are great too. use the 2lb for about 20 minutes, then bust out the fly puck and hit that, you will really see improvement.

i shoot about 300 10oz pucks against my neighbor's garage every day (i have a stack of 30 and i hit it 10 times). he doesn't care though.

Hey guys....

What is the least amount of thickness one would want for this kind of sheet if I get HDPE? I could get a 4' by 8' at .094. Is this thick enough? Thanks

should be great. mine is .06 so yours should be real nice.