Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slaw

What Makes Breaks a Referee?

I hope the NHL rules trickle down to the minor levels and I hope eventually that hooking, holding and interference is reduced at all levels as a game that allows for flow and speed is more fun to watch and play in my opinion. On the other hand a game that's all about special teams (PP and PK) isn't ideal, but it's up to the players to adjust and stop committing the fouls - my ideal is high speed, skilled, even strength hockey. Hitting and contact is fantastic as long as it's clean - actually if there was an adult checking mens league I'd consider playing in it as a skilled game doesn't have to be a soft game. I just find that in the ice league I currently play in too much hooking, clutching and grabbing is let go. In my roller league there's less of that, but that's also a result of it being 4 on 4 with more room out there.

they have already made alot of the changes to USA hockey's rule book for both adults and youths.

And so has Hockey Canada. Where I live, our minor hockey is played under HC rules and our adult rec is played under USAH rules. It's going to be an interesting season next year with some growing pains for players, coaches, AND the refs. However in the end we may end up with a better game, certainly one that will be easier to officiate. There won't be the grey area in such areas as say, hooking where the outcome of the hook determines whether or not the penalty is called. Next year, I see you put your stick around another player and my arm goes in the air. "It was just a little tug" no longer cuts it. Same thing with grabbing a guy with the free arm as far as holding penalties.

The other night I did a tripleheader of spring adult rec games and all I could think of in two of the three games is that I hope they're good on the PK next year. It's going to suck for the refs as well, because we're going to have to "unlearn" game management as far as calling penalties and pretty much work off of the "see a penalty, call a penalty" theory. No more yelling at players to "let him go" or "get the stick down".

But, I'm up to the challenge!

The ability to take abuse from players and spectators, day after day, without letting it affect him personally or in the game.

I don't let spectators and especially players abuse me at all. I know I can't hear what they say to each other on the bench, and that doesn't bother me. But if I can hear it, I'll deal with it. I'm not out there to take shit from these guys, and they know it. If they want to disagree with a call, fine, just keep it minor. However, if they start yelling at me or telling me how shitty I am, I'll give them an unsportsmanlike. In the main league I've been reffing in, people think that because they pay $200 a session or whatever, they are given the right to say whatever they want to the officials. While some refs take it, I, and many others don't. We're out there performing a service on their behalf. If the players have a problem with the way the game is being called or anything else, I'll let their captain talk to me in between periods about it in a rational manner. I'll talk to any player about anything after the game, so long as they are cool about it. One of my pet peeves as a ref and as a player, esepcially in simple adult leagues, is when refs slow down or stop games in order to get yelled at by players and coaches.

I only meant in the sense that it doesn't get the ref off his game -- whether he calls an unsportsmanlike, or not, whether he continues to call the game as consistently and fairly as possible. I'm all for refs handing out unsportsmanlikes to guys who are mouthing off at them.

another question....new NHL rules ? how do you think the effect or affect will be on Minor hockey and junior c through a players? Was at the referees tournament las tnight playing and WOW It was a little bit insane we logged something like 96 minutes in penalties in a 56 minute game...

I think it's already started to trickle down in some places, with good effect--mostly.

My local league already had the no-two-line pass and touch-up icing rules. We don't have the stupid "goalies can't touch the puck unless standing on one leg with their thumb in their mouth" rule (i.e. the trapezoid rule), and hopefully never will.

Starting this season they've been calling stick infractions a lot more tightly, though. High sticks, hooks, slashes, trips, they're really watching for those and calling them even if it's questionable. Which can be frustrating, but not any more frustrating than trying to get around a player who has his stick in your gut.

Ironically, even though they're cracking down on high sticks especially, I've seen two players in the last three games get cut on the face, which is two more than I saw all last season. :P

The other night I did a tripleheader of spring adult rec games and all I could think of in two of the three games is that I hope they're good on the PK next year. It's going to suck for the refs as well, because we're going to have to "unlearn" game management as far as calling penalties and pretty much work off of the "see a penalty, call a penalty" theory. No more yelling at players to "let him go" or "get the stick down".

Its adult hockey, you don't need to create a parade to the box. What you do is warn the player before he starts to hook, hold or whatever. When you see a guy is beating another guy to the outside, you tell the guy without the puck, "don't hook" or "play the puck". They usually get the message and play goes on.

In reading your guys' responses, I'm thinking I have a way different fundamental approach than you guys.  I don't ref for fun.  I don't find it particularly fun at all.  Its nice being on the ice and skating, but thats about it.  To me its a job, a hell of a good job for someone my age.  I make great money doing something that isn't hard for me, with very good hours.  And so I treat it as a job, not as a hobby or a sport.  If I didn't get paid I wouldn't do it.

There is nothing wrong with treating it like a job, wanting to be professional about the way you ref is a good thing. The problem is the guys who just see a paycheck and mail in their effort. There is a difference and I think a lot of people confuse the two.

One that realizes he's not "better" at refing then the players are at playing.

One that's actually got the balls to call a penalty.

One that's not so hardheaded he can't stand a little criticism from time to time.

One that's not confrontational to a player BEFORE being confronted by one.

One that realizes part of his/her job is to make sure nobody gets seriosuly injured.

One that's not in it for the power trip.

And most importantly, one that's out there to have fun.

Great points Jay, guys just have to be careful when officiating that they take it seriously enough. I love the games when I can smile and joke with players, those are the ones that keep me coming back.

another question....new NHL rules ? how do you think the effect or affect will be on Minor hockey and junior c through a players? Was at the referees tournament las tnight playing and WOW It was a little bit insane we logged something like 96 minutes in penalties in a 56 minute game...

Both USA Hockey and Hockey Canada have approved NHL style enforcement for next season. I think it's going to be a good thing as the sport should reward skill over cheating.