Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bo from Boston

Interesting Synergy Skate story

I was at my LHS yesterday - they had 3 pairs of these that they sold. Easton wants all the skates back BADLY. Easton are cutting deals with the 3 people who bought the skates to get them back quickly - they are not giving a reason. The kid I spoke to yesterday is getting a free pair of Z air comps now and a free pair of new Synergy skates in Sept when they officially come out (his were used - I think they were Rolstons) and a Stealth. Seems like a really desperate move on the part of Easton. If you add it up, its like $1100 - $1200 usd worth of goods to get back a pair of used skates that he paid $299 for. I looked at the skate and it had a STOP sign printed on the bottom saying that the skates were not to be photographed.

Pro's have been wearing them and I have seen photo's online of them.

My first (and only) reaction as to why this is happening is that Easton has probably found a defect in the boot and wants to get back the small qty that have been given out now while they can.

Anybody have any insight into whats going on??

Also - anyone who pays $650 for them should have their head examined.

Its a big price to pay for 3 months. Also, there have been lots of stealth's sold on ebay as well as at shops selling pro leftover gear....they aren't stopping those sales or trying to get the sticks back and those aren't available till september either.

Legal issues? There could be something going on with some patent infringement or possibly they are worried about someone stealing a design feature before they get to market.

Good point. The thing I left out of my original detail was that the rep was VERY forthright about getting the skates back. The way it was described to me was that his approach was as if the people who purchased these fairly had no choice but to give them back. As if them saying "no, I'm keeping them" was not an option.

I am sure all of their competitors have a boot already for examination just like they had early Vectors and Vapor XX's for eval while designing this boot.

So if I'm one of the others that still have my pair, I'm holding out for something that rhymes with "custom pattern."

from what I heard - its a "name your price" conversation. I would suggest calling your easton rep. A mold is big big bucks, but for another new pair in 3 months and boatload of sticks or whatever else you want, it could be a nice summer......

remember, you have the power when you say NO

Just to clarify, I don't have one of those, I just meant if I was someone who had the other pairs that I would have a very high price for them. Not so much as a rally against a big company but just because that seems skanky that they're demanding products back. Of course I've seen enough movies to know that the guys who retaliate and say "no" usually end up like the filmmaker from "Enemy of the State."

Depending on the situation with how the shop that sold the skates acquired them, Easton could quite possibly have legal rights to re-possess them. For example, if you "steal" something from Joe and sell it to John, Joe still has the right to have his merchandise returned to him. Easton might be in a similiar situation. They can legally get them back from the people who have purchased them but are trying to avoid using those types of measures so they're offering lots of stuff in return.

I wonder if the skates have the disclaimer that was on the first batch of Si-Cores. Damn, now I can't remember what it said other than something about it being a prototype.

I don't believe anything was stolen - they had a ton of Bruins stuff for sale and it was advertised as such. If they were consigned or if the LHS bought them for resale, it really doesn't matter. If there was a commitment between the player and Easton that was broken, then they would take it up with the player and go to the lengths that they are to get the skates back. On the other hand, there was some type of arrangement between the equipment people of the B's and this store to sell a list of equipment for a profit. Once the sale is done, its done. There is no contract between the ultimate purchaser and Easton so if he wants to keep them, there is little that can be done. Ownership was transferred and that is that.

I wasn't implying that they were stolen I was just using that as an example. What I meant was if Easton had hypothetically had an agreement/contract with the player given the skates that stipulated they weren't to be resold, given away, or something similiar they would have legal rights to get them back regardless of who bought and sold them after the fact.

It would not be unusual for equipment "in development" which is given to a player for evaluation purposes, to be covered under some kind of agreement by which the manufacturer retains the ownership of the product, so that they can recover it for further testing and inspection.

If a player signed this agreement, or someone within the club in a position of authority to do so, then by selling these skates, the the contract is broken, and technically the skates could become "stolen property"...hence the "no option" position on ownership. I am sure Easton does not particularily want to alienate it's clientel by taking legal action over a pretty innocent purchase, so they are using the carrot versus the big stick approach. If this is an accurate guess as to what has happened, then no doubt the cost of recovery of these skates will actually come out of the pockets of the Bruins.

There is probably some poor assisitant to an assistant trainer within the Bruins, wondering if he still has a job.

Legal issues? There could be something going on with some patent infringement or possibly they are worried about someone stealing a design feature before they get to market.

Certain other manufacturers have had them for months. As for the rep telling a person he had no choice but to give them back, that fits well with the reputation that most Easton reps have. I'm sure there are exceptions but that is the overall impression in the hockey market.

I would say that all Easton can hope for is that individuals come forward and are willing to barter with them for the return of the skates. Since the LHS is an authorized Easton retailer, anyone who bought them owns them. The LHS will only know the buyers if they're regular customers.

Since the LHS is an authorized Easton retailer, anyone who bought them owns them.

well that's not entirely true, if the team authorized a contract that kept the skates the property of Easton, then technically the laws concerning stolen property could govern the issue legally, whether or not an "authorized dealer" sold them. The buyer would be protected only if Easton themselves had sold the dealer the skates.

I think it's a fair assumption that the reason for the recall of the skates is either:

- for skate design revision puroses

- patent issues

- contract breach which may encompass the previous two

But if the carrots dangled are what was mentioned in the first post, it seems like fair compensation to me!

anyone know where i can get a pair to 'give' back??

2 free pairs of skates and a stealth, that seems fair to me as he will be getting a good pair of skates to either turn into roller once he gets the new synergy skates in Sept, I may push for a few sticks though just so that you have a couple replacements!Either way his 200 to 300 dollar investment has turned into a pretty sweet deal....Im going to try and get a pair once the lightning finish their season as Perrin wears them, they may not fit, but maybe I can work a deal out. You never know! :rolleyes: