Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Juice_Slowjamz

Another reason to hate the Leafs.

It will be interesting to see if TSN/CTV gets the NHL if the schedule will feature Toronto as much as CBC did...or will Ottawa/Montreal get the early National game.

Obviously, if BGM has a share in the Leafs they want them on TV....Maybe they split the network...CTV has the Leafs game...TSN has one of the other 2?

Toronto's the biggest market and biggest ad $'s so the Leafs would be a priority. Ottawa and Montreal English are way less significant for advertising dollars.

They are spending a mint to get it. And the Olympics. Obviously NOT an economic decision.

it'd be a travesty if hockey night in canada was cancelled.

LOL you damn freak canadian.<_<

Et Que fait tu de la SOIRÉ DU HOCKEY qui a été cancellé?? :rolleyes: <_<

You are all overlooking one thing here...

THe groups is offering the NHL more than double what they receive now... regardless of social ramifications, there is no way they can turn that down.

Un même plus grand travestissement ?

Ahhh CobrAA, cut him some slack and forgive my appalling french at the same time... LOL

Good heavens, most of us freak ... err... English Canadians think Soiré is a fancy dress party ~ soirée

Unless you live in la belle province or are in the broadcasting or advertising business you really have little reason to realize there are two different broadcasts: HNIC and Soiré

I'm a bit out of touch with the french market but I imagine this would be even more of a devastation for Radio-Canada's budget than the CBC's budget and RDS will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Would Bob Cole and Harry Neale be out of a job? Last thing I want is Bob Mackenzie and Pierre Maguire calling my Saturday night hockey games.

only way i'd be happy with this is bob cole, harry neale, don and ron all switch over. saturday night wouldn't be the same without coaches corner.

This is very bad news for Canadians. It is a double whammy on the broadcasting front. This is another case of "follow the money" if you are looking for an explanation of why this is happening.

They are spending a mint to get it. And the Olympics. Obviously NOT an economic decision.

Put CBC out of the sports business and they won't have to bid against them in the future.

only way i'd be happy with this is bob cole, harry neale, don and ron all switch over. saturday night wouldn't be the same without coaches corner.

Are you kidding? The day they roll Bob and Harry into the retirement home will be the biggest improvement in broadcast history since they phased out telegraphs, which Bob and Harry probably used!

They are spending a mint to get it.  And the Olympics.  Obviously NOT an economic decision.

Put CBC out of the sports business and they won't have to bid against them in the future.

Yes, the thing is, of course, the CBC doesn't operate on "real" money; it is tax dollar funded. So they wouldn't necessarily be "out" of the sports business - or not necessarily for long.

Case in point... CBC decided to "pull" the Olympics from CTV after Barcelona. My understanding is CTV put in an offer at break even - in other words they bid an amount that would allow them to cover costs but not make any money. (CTV has also always managed to gain much higher advertising revenues than the CBC can generate)

CBC's bid was about 3x's higher which enabled them to pick up the Olympics again - and they lost a ton of money on it. Their business model, arguably, does not require them to make a profit.

That would suck for guys like me who live in detroit and watch CBC hockey night in canada religiously, is there a way to get tsn in Michigan? hell i even have the hockey night in canada theme song as the ringtone on my phone!!!

Ahhh CobrAA, cut him some slack and forgive my appalling french at the same time... LOL

Good heavens, most of us freak ... err... English Canadians think Soiré is a fancy dress party ~ soirée

Unless you live in la belle province or are in the broadcasting or advertising business you really have little reason to realize there are two different broadcasts: HNIC and Soiré

I'm a bit out of touch with the french market but I imagine this would be even more of a devastation for Radio-Canada's budget than the CBC's budget and RDS will be laughing all the way to the bank.

LoL, i won't cry but i mean, our hockey night(soiré du hockey) got cut 2 years ago, so when i want to watch hockey i have no choice to listen to hockey night,Since I don't have the cable,RDS.

Why radio-canada english still have hockey and not us french? Two years later, we are equal!! lol

LoL, i won't cry but i mean, our hockey night(soiré du hockey) got cut 2 years ago, so when i want to watch hockey i have no choice to listen to hockey night,Since I don't have the cable,RDS.

Why radio-canada english still have hockey and not us french? Two years later, we are equal!! lol

LOL - so I am glad that I said I was out of touch with the French market!!!

Why would be easy - money. The French market has always been a very competitive one and hockey is a very expensive show to produce. Radio-Canada has always had to fight hard to justify their budgets (even more so than the CBC - because someone will always point out why do we need to pay for National french language radio and TV to serve the 6 people who speak French in Vancouver) But my-oh-my.

Ah, I am going to have to sit down with some television reps in September and get up-to-date with what is going on.

Now we share your pain CobrAA

Kinda reminds me of the Monday Night Football situation here, only I don't know if people give a damn here in the U.S. as long as they can see football on Mondays. The difference will be the switch to cable, for both sports. HNIC is more of an institution in Canada, and I don't see BGM keeping the broadcast virtually the same, as ESPN has tried to do when if acquired MNF.

Kinda reminds me of the Monday Night Football situation here, only I don't know if people give a damn here in the U.S. as long as they can see football on Mondays. The difference will be the switch to cable, for both sports. HNIC is more of an institution in Canada, and I don't see BGM keeping the broadcast virtually the same, as ESPN has tried to do when if acquired MNF.

It's not like ESPN outbid someone for monday night football, it was an ABC decision.

I bet the execs on TSN will keep the exact same format for saturday night games, just probally a different theme song and different graphics. I know it doesn't make a difference to me because it will be on center ice, but I can feel for all of canada.

-saturday's alright for fighting, get a little action in...

Nickelback doesn't get enough credit, they're pretty good.