Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

forbs02

3/8"

Sooooo... I had a customer come in today with his Bauer 7000 goalie skates and he insisted on a 3/8" hollow. I tried to talk him out of it but he wouldn't back down. Now maybe I'm wrong here but that seems like an excessive hollow for a goalie skate. I would think it would be hard for him to slide and the edge would be absolutely shot as soon as a pipe is hit. Any insight into this would be appreciated...

that is an really hallow cut, i know a goalie who gets the same kind of cut on his skates it wouldnt be harder to slide because you slide on the side of the pad not the skates if anything it would make a stronger slide because you could push off the skate and get more force into the push. it would make it hard to shuffle because there would be more resestance because of the hallow cut. t pushes wouldnt be as hard once you got used to it because once again you could push off harder.

As cook22, said, I have heard that the younger goalies' style needs a deeper cut to let them push off and slide while staying in a half-butterfly.

I believe Patrick Roy skated in something close to 3/8".

You find the butterfly guys skating in 5/8" a lot.

I have one lunatic who comes in and asks for 1/4". I give him 1/2" and the dumbass can't tell the difference.

your butterfly slide is better because you can dig in more but your shuffle is non-existant. I guess you can t-push but that makes for a bit of delay in dropping in the butterfly.

A lot of butterfly guys are going to 1/2" or something close to it. Cassivi (who won the calder cup for Hershey) uses 1/2".

I believe Patrick Roy skated in something close to 3/8".

You find the butterfly guys skating in 5/8" a lot.

I have one lunatic who comes in and asks for 1/4". I give him 1/2" and the dumbass can't tell the difference.

Let's just hope he's not on MSH lol

The trend for goalies is deeper hollows, as they suit the bfly style in just about every way. 3/8 is not unreasonable and I've even done a few 5/16. It's all PP, but most younger bflyers like the deeper cuts, and keep asking for deeper. If you go deeper slowly, 1/32nd at a time just about any goalie can adapt. I hardly do 1" anymore, most kids are 3/4 or less and even the old stand up guys I've converted to 7/8 or so. The deeper cuts have fragile edges and I end up sharpening more ($$$ for me) but it's the performance they want so they are willing to pay.

The new RBK/CCM stainless blades on average have been holding good edges for approx 10 hrs, which is making sharpening more affordable for goalies now. Carbon steel is so passe'. You have to sharpen every 2 hrs to hold a good edge.

The new RBK/CCM stainless blades on average have been holding good edges for approx 10 hrs, which is making sharpening more affordable for goalies now. Carbon steel is so passe'. You have to sharpen every 2 hrs to hold a good edge.

Aren't the blades thinner too? So that would mean that the hollow needs to be deeper to have the same bite as the older wide blades(like I have).

Only the steel on the 9k is thinner, the 5k stainless is regular width. I was using 7/8 on my old CCM carbon skates, but now are using 11/16 on the 9k steel. Yes, you have to go to a deeper cut with them, they are 3.4mm wide as compared to 4.0 for regular goal steel.

Have you noticed that a lot of thinner goalies are going a lot sharper? They probably want to do the Brodeur/MAFluery thing and skate a lot to play the puck and a deeper cut seems easier to skate on.

That's just a guess.

if there skates are profiled accodring to there style of play that will make a difference also because once a goalie feels that both his skates have equal blade to ice contact he may feel the need to go as sharp as 3/8's, I can understand doing a sharper toe for the push off and going shallower down the rest of the blade to allow for an easier slide