Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zrez

Import Cars

Looking at importing this spring. Anyone else familier with importing cars from Japan? Iam looking at either a Mitsubishi GTO (in north america its the GTO) or a nissian Fairlady (Also known as 300zx i north america). ANy opinions?

Much cheaper. Its starting to get big where i live. Basicaly, if i want to buy a 300zx here, it will be between 10-15k for one. I can get one imported from japan for 8k that looks just as nice ect...

You dont get them right from the dealer though. They are mostly used, but since its from japan you rarley see a car with over 100k. The company you are going through can send you hundreds of pictures, give you an auction grade of the car, and have a mechanic look at it for you.

is importing cars from japan cheaper? no dealership prices just direct from the factory right?

not straight from the factory.. he's talking about used cars here that are straight from japan. i know a couple people who have imported cars and they didn't have any problems.

go for the fairlady.. i'm drooling over owning one.

main reason for importing though is the JDM options that don't come with the USDM models.

mistu GTO = Mitsu 3000 GT.

If you're gonna import something, import something we don't have here. There's no point in bringing over something you can get here cheaper and then swap the badges. If you're doing it for performance, then buy just the motor/trans from over there.

Skylines are nice. Silvias, too (even though they're just 240SXs with a different nose.

Mitsu used to make an FTO.

mistu GTO = Mitsu 3000 GT.

If you're gonna import something, import something we don't have here.  There's no point in bringing over something you can get here cheaper and then swap the badges.  If you're doing it for performance, then buy just the motor/trans from over there. 

Skylines are nice. Silvias, too (even though they're just 240SXs with a different nose. 

Mitsu used to make an FTO.

Pretty much all the cars you import you can buy here under a diff name. The difference is, way cheaper. Plus, i dont know about where you live, but theres probably two 3000gt's in my city. theres like 8 skylines.

EDIT: I ment way cheaper to import than buy here.

I dont see how shipping a car from japan(id say about at least 1500 for a 3500lb car) plus shipment in japan and in the states can be cheaper, buttt, if you say so.

Pretty much all the cars you import you can buy here under a diff name.

why do they change names when u buy in the states? do u have to pay for customs fees or frieght plane fees?

edit: vapor beat me to it

For me it will cost about 1000$ to get it shipped to Vancouver, then from there 500$ to get it shipped from Vancouver to Saskatoon (where i live). Even with all that cost tho, its still cheaper than buying here.

Name changes can be for many diff reasons. One for example is the Mitsubishi GTO was changed to the 3000gt when it came here, because there was already a car called the Pontiac GTO, so they didnt want ppl to get confused.

For me it will cost about 1000$ to get it shipped to Vancouver, then from there 500$ to get it shipped from Vancouver to Saskatoon (where i live). Even with all that cost tho, its still cheaper than buying here.

why not pick it up in vancouver and drive it back and save 500 bucks?

I dont know where you are from, but importing a car in the US is MEGA bucks. The freight would take weeks to get here, cost a fortune and mind you the actual cost of the car. There are way too many performance cars here already to even worry about imports..

As a matter of fact, i'm looking at an '05 RX8 with 11k miles for $14k.

I live in canada. i can get a beautiful GTO or Fairlady for 8k LANDED. that means EVERYTHING. and its in vancouver. Not mega bucks here.

I live in canada. i can get a beautiful GTO or Fairlady for 8k LANDED. that means EVERYTHING. and its in vancouver. Not mega bucks here.

I'm calling bullshit on this..

Any proof? Its hard for me to believe that you can get an exotic sports car for less than a hyundai.

WHat headache.

The headache of those cars. They're not exactly the most well built cars on the road. And since you seem to be on a tight budget, i'd veer far away.

Ohhhh.. Used!?

Go ahead and pay "$7,400 landed" for a 20 year old car ROFL!!! :lol:

I can get a 300z around here for a lot cheaper than that.

Thats an 05/06 300zx. I guess i probably should have mentioned that to import a carfrom japan it has to be at least 15 years old. hence, the link i sent you has an 89.

I mention earlier in the thread it was used.

and iam yet to find a cheaper car in just as good shape here.

yeah, a low milage twin turbo 300z is under 10k usd here, and I would feel much safer paying an extra 500 having bought it from a guy across the street rather than across the pond.