Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hyprlte

So i skated with Ovechkin

It wasn't an open skate, only certain people were on the ice.. and fans could watch but i dont think that anybody knew he was there

no i was on the ice with him. I was asked to skate. i meant that it was a invite skate not a open skate

What level of player are you to get that kind of invite?

At our tryouts, the Midget AAA's coaches kid came out and skated with us. He plays for the Marlies and I think he's played a couple games for the Leafs. He was Chris St. Jacques. You don't realize how good the people in the NHL and close to making it actually are until your on the same serface as him, and yea it actually made you play better. You feel like working harder and focusing more. It was really quite sweet.

It wasn't an open skate, only certain people were on the ice.. and fans could watch but i dont think that anybody knew he was there

Ok so anyone that says it bullshit start eating it now this is totally true.

I know Jim and have been to these skatees many time to meet with players about equipment adjustments.

Now the part about how much he skated I could tell you but a very few select kids that Jim thinks deserve a chance get to go skate with these guys.

Its a great skate and all the guys are great that come.

Sorry I dont know who you are but if you played Roller with Jim I probably know who you are.

Besides who would make up that lavish story.......you guys are just jealous...LOL

Guest slimjim9

i'm not doubting this happend but i'm just wondering that the skates that ovechkin may have been wearing were the black and sliver ones and i was under the impression they were the roller hockey version, now i'm not sure if that makes any difference or not since i dont know if the boots are designed differntly it just seems interesting to me as to why he'd be wearing a roller hockey boot. well let me know if i'm mis lead somewhere.

Guest slimjim9

is there any differnce between the roller hockey version and the ice version othe than the color?

i cant really make out the pic.. but from what it looks like they kinda looked like the roller ones.. but with silver striped down the side... and his epros were black with white writing

As far as taking pictures of someone like Ovechkin, or any pro level player, I never in a million years would if I'm skating with them. I've been in camps/skates with pro players, and I would feel like just some fanboy if I was snapping pics. I know I'm not their equal in most ways, but I would feel like I'd come up off as a less serious player if I did. Hell, I played with one of my favorite players and I didn't ask for his autograph or anything.

I should've edited my post - the black/silver are the RH version, but he's not skating in those. I didn't want to give the impression that he was skating in a pair of inline boots.

I think it's going to be the new Vector - I think the blue/silver has been overdone.

ok here is what happened believe it or not.

There is a rink about 5 mins north of toronto called the pavilion where there is a hockey school called Jim Thompsons powerhouse hockey... there have been a bunch of players  that trained there when they were on their way to the NHL such as raffi torres, jarrett stoll, mike camalleri, jason spezza (excuse the mispelled names) and  they keep going back there every summer to skate and do drills.  Usually when aug/sept comes around there are a bunch of pros that train there along with minor leaguers (ohl ahl ext...) Now there were a couple of players who were capitals and today when i got dressed with some guys and we went on the ice ovechkin was there and we did drills/scrimmage.And as for the skates.. im sorry but i dont take cameras with me to the rink.. but i will try to use photoshop or with someone whos good at it to remake what i saw..

and the skate was at 10 am, and as soon as it was 11 he was off the ice.  Everyone else practiced untill 11:30..And there was nobody there because from what i heard he did want a quiet skate

At first- i thought this topic was a little shady. But after mentioning the Pavillion - it could definetly be true. I have scene numerous players playing at the pavilion -- gary roberts-- steve thomas-- nick kepreyos etc. etc. And some of my friends have seen 10-12 players from CHL teams practicing there.They happen to have beautifull facilities and ice --- an NHL style dressing room. etc. etc. Its 25 mins from the airport -- and theres no need to travel downtown.

Dont know if he skated with them -- but that they played at the pavillion -- that could definetly be possible -- always have NHL players coming through it.

I believe it.

Yea, those were his skates... except the lines on the side of the skates were silver also.. and the whole boot was shiny.. with black epros.. he didnt have tuuks

and as for the pavilion..

every NHL team practices there the day after they play the leafs before they leave toronto

I don't doult you but I would like to know where you play because I saw him practice in Ottawa last year and he's stupid fast even when he fools around...

I know the guy is in Toronto but the fact that you can skate with the pros is special...

Hell I work right next to where the Sens practice and I've been watching em practice for a week but I would not even dare to step on that ice with them, things go at the speed of lightning in the scrimages...

Reminds me of a chance I had druing the Lock Out. I was just learning to skate so I would go up to a small local rink during my lunch hour and practice. It just so happens that during that time the rink also had stick-n-puck. A bunch of the Dallas Stars dropped by on a daily basis to skate. It got to the point where I'd go up there once a week or so so I could watch them up close. Anyway a few of my friends got asked if they wanted to play with them a time or two.

So needless to say I believe that this story is more than plausible and am willing to take the original poster at his word.

My experience so far, however limited, has been that most hockey stars are very approachable if your nice and polite. At least the guys on the Dallas Stars are.

I just wish I had something more original to say than "Wow, you're a great hockey player." I guess it could be worse, a few years a go an aquaintance of mine rear-ended Troy Aikman. She said the first thing she said after she realied it was him was "are you, ok, will you be able to play this week". :)

It all comes down to who you know. There's always a guy who runs the skates that pros play in, and more often then not they are well known at the local rink. I played with most of the Bridgeport Soundtigers one day because the guy who ran a camp I was in (who just became their head coach) was running their skate in the ice slot after ours and asked me if I wanted to stay. It was mostly drills though, not a scrimmage or anything. Though we did a shoot out which was fun.

The part about his skates is true tho, our team just ordered new skates, the RBK rep was at our rink after practice, he also delt with ovechkin and CCM Skates, he said that last year they asked ovechkin what he would change about the skate and he said nothing, only this year he will have gold and black CCM's instead of blue and silver, he will also have black towers, with ovy written in gold cursive writting on the side, Crazy style.