Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeymom

Before you take a swing at that guy...

Just curious, you let the trash talk get to you?

For the most part, no. I myself haven't had an experience where I've actually gone to beat someone in a game over something they said but I'm sure there's a limit for me as I would imagine there are for most.

Chippa - Actually, I think that's your argument... punching someone is not part of the game.

I didn't say it is not part of the game. I have to face my boss in the morning so I don't often engage in that kind of behavior but it does happen. There is a difference.

Chippa - Actually, I think that's your argument... punching someone is not part of the game.

I didn't say it is not part of the game. I have to face my boss in the morning so I don't often engage in that kind of behavior but it does happen. There is a difference.

Obviously it does happen, this one went to court.. assault not hockey.

Ok, just asking a ? here, trying to be civil- don't you feel like a jerk the next day for getting into a fight at a hockey game? was it really worth it?

As a ref I've seen situations that were run of the mill fights or punches and I've seen situations that were clearly not acceptable. In any case where the intention is to hurt the other guy in a rec league, I have no problem with taking the guy to court. Especially if it creates a significant impact on your lifestyle in terms of injury or expense.

I think in the three years I've played in beer/rec leagues I've been in 5 fights tops and some of those are just the usual scrums that don't even make it to fights. I've never felt foolish but I would if I Domi'd someone out of the blue.

Ok, just asking a ? here, trying to be civil- don't you feel like a jerk the next day for getting into a fight at a hockey game? was it really worth it?

Some guys brag about their rec-league fights... They're the exception, but you have to watch out for them.

Mack,

Sooner or later in life you reach a point where you realize that fighting someone in a rec league hockey game is just a really stupid thing to do. It proves nothing, solves nothing, and is just dumb. I'm not exactly a pacifist. I had my share of dust-ups and did a few stupid things a long time ago on the ice. But, like I said, now I see it as stupid in the context of a rec league hockey game. I know I am the "old man" here and the young bucks here still have a lot of juice flowing through their veins. I completely understand those dynamics. I'm at the point in my game where as a defenceman when you get around me, good for you, go take a shot on net and score! Bettman will not be showing up when the Zamboni doors open up to hand me the Cup at center ice. My gang is more interested in the beer frame after the game in the locker room.

This all just my opinion. If you guys want to go beat each other up in a beer league game, go for it. Been there, done that. Just leave me out of it.

I agree with DarkStar, I'm in my 30's and have been in and out of men's leagues here in MA, most notably the NESHL which has a plenty of bums playing in it. The reason I stopped, and now play only with people who I know, is because of what he is describing. There are plenty of idiots running around out there who feel they have something to prove. Hack, slash and sucker punching is the name of their game and lots are good at it. Like DarkStar said no-one is going to be walking through that door with a contract........ There is a lot to be said for those who go out skate hard and mind their sticks...... You don't find a lot of those in the NESHL for example........

If its rec, then i just flat out don't fight. Its stupid and there's no point, if its a league game and it changed the momentum etc. then i feel a million dollars!

(I know real violence, and thats why I don't fight, its embarasing, and pathetic when compaired to the s*** going down in the world now.)

that's not really the point we are talking about though right?

I think the two important parts of this case revolve around the fact that the dude wouldn't appologise and it was a No contact league.

I expect not to get punched in a no contact league. Especially if I make incidental contact with someone. (was there a penalty on the play? no right? then that should give us a good indication of the severity of the contact)

Now leagues are different, but the defence didn't seem to try and make the case that this kind of behavior was common place in this particular league right? just saying in general that it could be a reasonable assumption of risk. And besides I have been a couple fights, some much more serious than one at a hockey game - and i got all my teeth, so it was either a very lucky shot, a sucker shot or the dude is jacked out of his mind or something.

what I'm saying is, for a Guy to hit someone hard enough with one shot to knock his teeth out after bump or hell even a crash, No I don't ecpect that when I go out on the ice. (not that it would matter to me much, I wear a cage to protect myself from getting any uglier)

Anyway we only have a small article and thats just my take on what i read, for what its worth (not much right?)

and I know I spell and type like a retarded caveman, sorry.