Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mack

The Departed

I'm just glad they didn't delve into all the bisexual activities of the character they based Nicholson's character on.

I think they hinted though that he may have had a crush on Damon's character, or that Damon was abused by the priests referenced in the diner scene.

Oh yeah, there were some hints at some dirty birdie activities but they could have been a lot worse. Like say, Costello doing blow off of two guys rather than the two chicks.

The Nicholson sort of ruined the movie for me. I thought it was a great plot, amazing acting from Leo, Damon was a meh but his character wasn't that important. Jack was way too upbeat and didn't fit the gangster role. Pacino, De Niro, Pesci or even Liotta would have been more of a convincing character then Jack.

Why because he is not playing the steriotypcial Italian crime boss role? The Departed was based on the Irish mafia, and every actor you named in the previous post played an italian mobster. Why should he have played a downbeat hardass if that wasnt what was in the script? What gangsters do you personally know that make you believe that you know how Jack should have acted? You are basing your opinion on other movies, which are irrelevant. All that aside, Nichilson played Nicholson, which he has played in every movie for the past 20 years

Word. I really like Nicholson in the movie, I thought he was perfect for the character.

When I think crime boss, mafia Don I do not think an over the top Jack Nicholson. Its like taking The Joker seriously in a crime drama.

180px-Jokermovie.jpg

Yeah, I guess the big difference of this being about the Irish mafia was lost on some.

well by calling him a "Don", he would have basically insulted all of South Boston... haha

When I think crime boss, mafia Don I do not think an over the top Jack Nicholson. Its like taking The Joker seriously in a crime drama.

180px-Jokermovie.jpg

As was said before, this was based on the irish mob. Why does his acting not line up with your opinins of a "mafia don", because of his smile?

I thought the movie was great. One of the best I've seen in a long time. Like stated before, Why cant people understand this movie is about the Irish Mob. There is no "Irish Mafia" Or "Don",both these terms are insults. I think the bisexual thing about bulger is just a myth. All of his close friends tell a different story than the media.

I thought the movie was great. One of the best I've seen in a long time. Like stated before, Why cant people understand this movie is about the Irish Mob. There is no "Irish Mafia" Or "Don",both these terms are insults. I think the bisexual thing about bulger is just a myth. All of his close friends tell a different story than the media.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Mob

Obviously the word Mafia has italian roots (more acuratley Sicilian Roots) but it synonomous with Mob these days.

I picked up the DVD and watched it the other day and one thing confused me. It seems they dubbed over the audio of some of the female lines, where initially in the theatrical version, the female character cussed. Clearly they didn't do any of this to the male characters, my guess is that it was an attempt to "soften" the female characters, but does anyone else notice this? Or understand why? It wouldn't bother me except for the fact that in many cases it was very poorly done.

The most clear example is when Billy (Leo) went to see Madolyn (the shrink) for the first time, and he was pissed, ran out and she chased after him. Her line in the theater was something to the effect of "fine heres the f'n prescription" (following Leo's line of f'n prescription) yet the DVD is "fine here is the DAMN prescription" and the camera angle changes to her back before shes even done with the line to disguise the change. The background audio changes and everything.

There is another blatant change in audio when Colin and Madolyn are in the new apartment and the phone rings and he tells her to answer the phone for the first time in the new place and they jokingly argue and he says "just answer the f'n phone." Again, in the theater she follows his line "fine I'll answer the f'n phone" and it was different on the DVD.

I still love the movie, I'm just disappointed with the poorly done post-production pre-DVD changes.

I want to say that's how I remembered it in the theatre but I'll probably see it again this week and enjoy the profanity one last time.

The move is actually a chinese movie made in Hong Kong and my dad has watched it before. From what I hear it was good and some scenes in the departed were basicalled the same like the scene at the end on the roof top.

It was Costigan's. She wanted to tell him something when he gave her the envelope but he said no, if its still important tell me in 2 weeks.

That and when she found out about what Sullivan was doing she said "and I thought I was the liar"

Ellerby: Go f*** yourself.

Dignam: I'm tired from f***ing your wife.

Ellerby: How is your mother?

Dignam: Good, she's tired from f***ing my father.

one of the better lines from the movie, awesome flick, also i didnt know bradd pitt was involved til the credits

he really wasnt, the production company and people involved with the movie said if they won an oscar for this movie he would not be allowed to go on stage with the whole team, they feel he didn't do enough.

he really wasnt, the production company and people involved with the movie said if they won an oscar for this movie he would not be allowed to go on stage with the whole team, they feel he didn't do enough.

I had totally forgotten he was involved. I remember seeing his name in the previews but then once the movie rolled around I figured I must have misread them.

Wow. I just watched the movie last night with my girlfriend. Terrific flick - I found it pretty much flawless. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how the movie was going to end, and I just had no idea (even as it was ending).

You should have seen the look on my girlfriend's face when Leo got iced.

Awesome movie. I'll likely be watching it again when I get back to my room tonight.