Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slapshot9123

Teammates Arm Stepped On

this wasn't intentional but the other night the others team forward was cutting towards the net (this is a non hittin league so i couldnt hit him) and i dove and whacked the puck off his stick then he trips over my arm and as he was falling his skate kicked back and the skate blade went towards my throat luckly the steel hit my neckguard and just cut my jaw i saw blood but luckly it was coming from my jaw. and thats why we should all wear neckguards.

When Donald Audette fell and got stepped on (accidently) a few years ago they compared the surgery to fix is wrist/forearm to if someone went into Bell and cut ALL the wires and said "...now put them back together"

While on skate injuries. Something happened to my friend at a high school game, I wasn't there to see it but his parents and my friend told me about it. He was skating down the wing with the puck and one guy from the other team comes behind him. He punched him in the back of the head, a la Todd Bertuzzi, and then ripped his helmet off. Then he kicked my friend in the back of the head. After that, he gets off the ice, runs to his car, skates on, and drives away. Crazy stuff. My friend ended up just getting stitches, but I forget how many were needed.

Apart from what he did to your friend that sounds hilarious!

Any idea what happend to the guy? As in suspension, fine?

Nothing. No one's seen him since.

I had one similar to SalmingUSA's incident but my partner was going into the corner and a guy sleuth footed him in a race for it her ended up going into the boards a near full speed, he has his foot rotated 180 degrees or close to it and as soon as i approached the kid he two handed me across the head. Then the game turned into an all out brawl.

Im just here to vent what happend this weekend. If you have any input or any experiences please post.

In the first game of the tourney for my team it was 1-1 halfway through the second. My team just got onto the powerplay so we sent our 1st line out. Off the faceoff we pull it back to the wing and he gets a shot on net, there is a little scrum infront of then net and the winger who shot it fell right by the dot. Hes on the ice and kid from the other team steps right on him, he held his skate on him for a good 5 seconds then let off. This player skates directly to the bench. The kid who stepped on his arm got no penalty. Isaw the whole thing happen so my first reaction was to go in and see if he is alright. His blood was gushing all over the ice and he got up on his own. I told the coach to call an ambulance. The ambulance came and rushed him to the hopsital.

So fast forward to yesterday morning, our player who was stepped on showed up for our game showed up to sit on the bench. Turns out his tendon was cut and he goes into surgery tuesday morning. He had videos on his phone, they peeled his skin and had him move his fingers. We saw his tendons moving arround in his arm and everything. It was a pretty gruesome sight. The kids a trooper being up in the hospital till 4 in the morning then driving back an hour and a half back to the rink to get to our game at 10.

All in all he is ok and is in pretty good shape. It will be a long time for our team to not have him for 2 months but the important thing is that he will get better. The thing im really pissed about is no penalty being called for this.

that's my friend's brother. he was at school today but i didn't really talk to him, i just asked how his arm was.

similar story...when i was playing in midgets a guy on my team had dropped his stick, when he went to pick it up a player on the other team kicked him. the blade hit his arm, cutting him from the top of the wrist to about 6" below the elbow. the skate severed or partially severed 2 tendons in his arm. my coaches had to physically hold people on the bench and the refs took the kicker out as fast as they could. i think he was eventually kicked off the team.

during this same game, the ref was high-sticked in the face during a face-off. he had his nose broken rather badly. tough game.

What the hell did parents do? I'd hopefully not be "one of those parents" but if I saw my kid take a deliberate skate like that I'm poppin' necks. Player(s), coaches, mascots, cheerleaders. Niedermayer, dead.

I agree..

As a team mate, if I ever saw something like that, it would be the only time I could justify swinging my stick.

OK, since we're telling stories...

One of my d-men (a local cop) lost an edge & fell funny into the boards & hurt his leg pretty bad. He laid there & screamed for awhile then asked us to drag him off the ice so we could continue the game. Me & another guy each grabbed an arm & dragged him through the door (I felt awful about this later but he insisted, so...)

A little while later we saw his head pop up over the boards then he walked to the locker room & changed. He limped over to the bench & got his sticks & we saw him walk out the door with his bag over his shoulder.

He said later that he went to the hospital for X-rays & turns out his leg was broken in two places.

Tough S.O.B.

Last year we had travelled to cardiff (from london, about 4 hours each way) for one of our league games, and in the 3rd they got a penalty shot which was saved. The ref then called for it to be taken again (no one knows why). The kid scored the second time and as he skated past our bench he put two fingers up at us and spat towards our bench. So with with 12 seconds left, us losing 8-4, a 5-3 powerplay and him on the ice all hell broke loose. It led to a full out bench clearing brawl with him going to hospital for a few days. Both teams coaches got 8 game bans.

Last year we had travelled to cardiff (from london, about 4 hours each way) for one of our league games, and in the 3rd they got a penalty shot which was saved. The ref then called for it to be taken again (no one knows why). The kid scored the second time and as he skated past our bench he put two fingers up at us and spat towards our bench. So with with 12 seconds left, us losing 8-4, a 5-3 powerplay and him on the ice all hell broke loose. It led to a full out bench clearing brawl with him going to hospital for a few days. Both teams coaches got 8 game bans.

What age are you playing and what level? I dont think that fighting in games is appropriate at all. Unless something happens like the arm being stepped on. What happened in your game sounds like somebody just being to cockey and dis-respectful so you guys took advantage of it. Really it just sounds like you guys were retaliating to something that happens alot in hockey.

I'm not familiar with that level of play, and of course I wasnt there myself. But I'm just saying that I think to many times people take advantage of situations to start fights. Dont want to pick you out alone.

An old man's perspective....

And we wonder why USA hockey wants to change the "image" of the sport....

The levels of "goonery" seen in todays youth sports is no longer the exclusive domain of hockey..see the Miami/UFI game..it's a whole "goon" culture..or maybe we should substitute the word "gangster" for goon.....

There was a day when we as kids were brought into the sports world to learn things like "sportsmanship" and personal integrity as part of a model for dealing with life's adversity. and with each other,.....in a more civilized fashion..or so we were told........

For the past 30 years or so it has become far less an incentive to play sports as a means to learning life lessons, and become far more simply about winning...or should we simply substitute...ego.

The levels of "goonery" seen in todays youth sports is no longer the exclusive domain of hockey..see the Miami/UFI game..it's a whole "goon" culture..or maybe we should substitute the word "gangster" for goon.....

There was a day when we as kids were brought into the sports world to learn things like "sportsmanship" and personal integrity as part of a model for dealing with life's adversity. and with each other,.....in a more civilized fashion..or so we were told........

For the past 30 years or so it has become far less an incentive to play sports as a means to learning life lessons, and become far more simply about winning...or should we simply substitute...ego.

Kids also need to learn how to stand up for friends.

I agree that coaches, parents, etc, often make it all about winning and beeing the best scorer or whatever... But i also agree and love that statement: Kids also need to learn how to stand up for friends.

And so it's ok to go out an crack this kid's skull open as was suggested? And then what...his friends decide they need to "protect" their friends..and go out and shoot a few of the opposing players....? Not really all that far fetched I am afraid in today's "gangsta" culture.

....No I am afraid the simple answer is, that criminal assault charges with a deadly weapon should be pressed, followed by a civil lawsuit for damages....Playing a game does NOT legaly exonerate you from the protection given individuals under the law...Unfortunately the NHL precedents for this sort of attack do not set the correct example......

The other reason these charges are so rarely pressed, is the fault of the hockey organizations themselves, who do not want a greater "black eye" given to the sport, which they feel would ensue from the negative publicity which would follow any such legal action.....However to help avoid this type of aggressive and meaningless attack in the future...a serious precedent needs to be set..and set publically.....specifically to protect those playing the game, as well as the image of the game itself.

It doesn't hurt a sport when you cut down on specific injury causing facets. Football is a good example.

You used to have to keep your hands at your jersey when blocking, which always ended up with flying elbows, which are one of a human's best weapons. Lots of broken jaws, noses, eye sockets, wendpipes etc. Now you push with your hands and it's no longer called holding. If you do grab, it's still a penelty, but much less harmful.

It used to be OK to drive your helmet through a guy when tackeling. Lots of broken everything and concussions. And broken necks or brain damage when two helmets collided badly. No more "spearing" with your helmet.

It used to be OK to leave your feet when downfield blocking. The famous "blind side" took out a lot of knees. No more.

And then there's face masks. You can't touch them at all now. I once nailed a guard who outweighed me by almost a hundred pounds and he grabbed my face mask with one hand and had his other fist inside my helmet working away. Fifteen yard penalty and the refs were laughing while they dragged him off me. Things change!

Joe Namith would love to have had the new rules protecting the quaterback.

And so on. The sports medicine is much better now, but eleminating the problem elements is better, still.

When I finished playing football I had a flat nose with no holes in it from scar tissue. I had brused kidneys, liver, spleen, and heart. And for toppers, I got stepped on at the bottom of a play and had five blood clots the size of golf balls where the cleats got me on the upper inside of my left arm. Tore the vains and artery too. I spent almost a month while a bunch of doctors from around the country tried to figure out how to save the arm and not have me die from the blood clots going to my brain or heart. The arm was saved and got in the medical history books. My surgon kept a picture of my young nose so that he could sort of duplicate it each time it got crushed by somebody's elbow. He was very good and it looks fine and has Big clean passages, now.

Mind you, I was captain of the special teams and I was known for dishing out the Hard hits. I was lucky and everything healed OK. I'd rather have had today's rules by far, though.

And there have been civil suits against football players who dished out gratuitous damage at least since the 60s.

But the ice hockey Mistique says damage is Good, so nothing gets fixed. The fans rule and the players pay.

When the Elite Pro League (roller hockey) in SoCal decided to have full checking and fighting to draw larger crowds, my partner, Joe Noris, was so against it that after discussing it and agreeing, we pulled our sponsorship. He's ex NHL and played in the no helmet days, so nobody's going to question his fortitude.

As it turned out, several players were hurt pretty badly and the insurance didn't cover enough to make it worth while. I'll add that the players were for the contact, but then that's the Mistique working again. It is not necessary and it's made hockey a joke to most of the world.

I am not against proper contact, but the word "proper" has to be clearly defined....it has to be from the front....period....and if the guy you are about to bulldoze turns his back, then you simply have to be in enough control of your body to stop..period....all hits must be within the players forward vision. The purpose of the body check, was always to impede the forward progress of the guy with the puck, and so within the scope of his vision a good clean hit should continue to be allowed. I am even a fan of this for inline hockey at the elite/professional level, or even below, in order to develop more complete players.

Where contact is not allowed, and then the refs permit it anyway to some degree..depending on their mood or personal interpretation of the rules...I think is much more dangerous...because players then get hit when not expecting it...This type of situation generates much more awkward hits and falls, and thus injuries, than when correct physical contact is permitted and players must remain vigilant.

I watched several seasons of MLRH, XIHL, and PIHA...and can say that with the exceptions of the fights, there were more, and more serious injuries in the "non contact", than in the "full contact" leagues....This was due in large part to players use of "alternate techniques" to impede a players progress..hooking, slashing and slewfooting became much more prevalent in the "non contact" versions in large part because you could not "play the body". The results were many more awkward falls, and consequent injuries..plus the added bruising and abrasions from the constant use of the stick to hook the good skaters.

As to the fighting, too many occasions had small non combatants being taken to task by people who's percieved purpose was just to "goon it up"..and instead of "going" with a player whose function was the same, I saw them pick on guys who could not defend themselves...it was sickening, and cowardly.

In the last season of MLRH before the failed XIHL attempt to unite the "Pro" versions of the sport took place, there were some great games, great hits, and exciting hockey with a minimum of goonery. The guys who were pure goons kind of got ostracised by the players who came to play hockey, and most quit on their own, as their behaviour was no longer glorified. The XIHL was much the same....

I am a fan of full contact hockey, because it forces players to get their heads up earlier in their careers, and also requires that they develop more comprehensive skating techniques, in order to throw, recieve, or evade contact. Too many of the elite players from inline hockey who protest against the full contact versions of their sport, forget that most of the great inline players also played elite ice hockey..where they expanded/developed their skills.... As such kids who would grow up playing only inline would never see this benefit..and rarely rise to the same levels. The other major benefit is that it tends to reduce the illegal stickwork, which I find much worse in non contact inline, than either ice of full contact inline.

I am sure someone will point out an exception to this phenomenon, however they must understand that it is an exception...not the rule.

All of these issues really all comes down to policing the rules as they are written...and teaching kids about sportsmanship with more fervor than teaching them the importance of "winning". When we grew up playing without helmets, and if someone were to drive a player head first into the boards...his own team mates would shun him...big difference in the attitude..there were still values that surpassed the "need to win".

PS sorry about the thread jack....but it still falls under the "ethics" category of playing the sport.

Yes, kids do need to learn to stand up for friends, but only if someone else first crosses the line. If everyone played the sport to have fun and with good sportsmanship, then this thread would be about "Have you seen any unlucky spills out there that resulted in an injury?"