Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SnipeeMacgee

My Skate are too sharp!

If you are sliding out, then they aren't sharpened right.

JR, could you please elaborate on what sort of sharpening errors would cause one to slide out, i.e. edges not level, or something else ? I skated at a new rink the other day and as soon as I stepped on the ice I felt like my skates were sliding out. After a few shifts things got better but I never got completely comfortable and played like crap.

7/16" for a 260 lb skater...yeah, that's the ticket rolleyes.gif

Honestly, I weigh 255 and do 7/16.. is that wrong? What do you suggest? 5/8 for me feels the same as the original poster's. Feels like I am putting a lot into my stride but not getting much out of it.

The point was that you gave very bad advice considering his hollow and issues. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't post. Bad advice is worse than no advice.

Its just what I was raised with. After highschool, I gained a bit of weight and started playing wing. My coach recommended me to 7/16. I have been using it since (7 years).

I tried a 5/8 on accident when I forgot to tell the sharpener what I like my hollow at. I felt a HUGE difference. I felt like I was glued to the ice, both in turns in forward momentum.

If you went to a 5/8 from a 7/16.. you should haven't felt "glued" to the ice.. 5/8 is a shallower hollow .. you should have had more glide and less "bite"..

JR, could you please elaborate on what sort of sharpening errors would cause one to slide out, i.e. edges not level, or something else ? I skated at a new rink the other day and as soon as I stepped on the ice I felt like my skates were sliding out. After a few shifts things got better but I never got completely comfortable and played like crap.

Exactly that, or just not a well-defined, sharp edge.

Just to add a little something...when skates are first sharpened and have too much to them, I've seen guys (Including Pros) step on the dasher as you open up the bench door. Is this recommended?

Just to add a little something...when skates are first sharpened and have too much to them, I've seen guys (Including Pros) step on the dasher as you open up the bench door. Is this recommended?

If you have to do that, try a more shallow hollow. That way they are perfect from the start.

If you have to do that, try a more shallow hollow. That way they are perfect from the start.

:D I love my edges.... after a few weeks of use.

I guess I will try 5/8.

:D I love my edges.... after a few weeks of use.

That right there is the telltale sign that you're skating on too deep of a hollow - you have to wait til they wear down for them to "feel right."

has anyone shipped there blades to this shop

are they as good as they sound?

Just about everyone I skate with will only bring their skates to Bob. The majority of my son's team will drive 30 minutes once a week to have skates sharpened at NoIceing Sports. Most folks who ship blades for sharpening, will ship 3 to 4 paires at one-time. I would say "yes" it is worth it.

I'm 6'2 and 230 and sharpen mine at 5/8. You guys just have to learn that is the deepness of the hollow, NOT the sharpness. The blades will be sharp whatever hollow you use. Too many people are not informed on skate sharpening. Its one of the most important aspects of your game, and i find most people couldnt tell you what hollow is used on their skates.

I'm 6'2 and 230 and sharpen mine at 5/8. You guys just have to learn that is the deepness of the hollow, NOT the sharpness. The blades will be sharp whatever hollow you use. Too many people are not informed on skate sharpening. Its one of the most important aspects of your game, and i find most people couldnt tell you what hollow is used on their skates.

Exactly, I don;t understand why people spend $400+ on skates and just get whatever hollow their LHS gives them. If you really want to benefit from the technology in a skate, you better spend some time figuring out what the best hollow for you is.

has anyone shipped there blades to this shop

are they as good as they sound?

I've been shipping my blades out to Bob for about 2 years now. He does a great job and I don't trust anyone else to mess with my blades. Yes, it's more expensive for me to send blades out to have them sharpened but the results are more than worth the few extra dollars!! I know with Bob my blades are going to be perfect everytime!

FWIW - I'm 6'0 205lbs and skate on a 15/16 hollow.

Learn your fractions.

From shallow to deep

1" = 16/16"

15/16"

7/8" = 14/16"

13/16"

3/4" = 12/16"

11/16"

5/8" = 10/16"

9/16"

1/2" = 8/16"

7/16"

3/8" = 6/16"

5/16"

1/4" = 4/16"

3/16"

1/8" = 2/16"

1/16"

i had a sharpening that made my blade look like waves in the water once.

couldnt even stop in them.. like if i tried, id wind up doing a really sharp turn instead

If you were skating at a new rink with your regular sharpening, it is possible that the ice is just better at the new rink. Harder ice calls for a deeper hollow, softer calls for shallower. A deeper hollow bites more ice than a shallow hollow, and you need the blades to bite more at the hard ice to retain the same amount of grip.

not sure if this makes sense, but maybe someone else has the words that I'm looking for...