Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cunndies

Easton Cyclone Shaft

Anybody used the Easton Cyclone shaft at all? I saw one at today, I think it's the '03 model (weird, colourshift finish - 95 flex) and was rather tempted by it for my Uni RH league.

I know it's really light (270 grams), and it has the ergo shape, but is it durable enough? I'm currently using an oldish Nike Quest 2 shaft, red, about a 90-95 flex, and it's lasted me for ages. Will the Cyclone be the same?

I'm about 6', 165lbs, and don't have a total cannon for a slapshot.

Cheers for any help, guys :)

Back in the day Easton claimed the Cyclone to be "unbreakable!" We all know that's not true, but they are nice sticks and they should last you a good while. Now that I think about it though, I don't think I've ever seen one of those Nike shafts break.

It's a pretty durable shaft, shouldn't have any problems. As long as you like the shape you should be pretty happy with it.

If you're 6' and 165, you need to bulk up and then get an UL or something; you wold have that cannon of a shot. You could be 175-180, easy, and if you added most of that weight to your legs, like with deadlifts and squats, then you could still be fast. Try it, you could scare yourself

If you're 6' and 165, you need to bulk up and then get an UL or something; you wold have that cannon of a shot. You could be 175-180, easy, and if you added most of that weight to your legs, like with deadlifts and squats, then you could still be fast. Try it, you could scare yourself

Hehe, yeah, I know man. :D

That was the plan for the summer. Skating regularly, plus running and weights etc. As for the slapshot, it's just that my technique is a little inconsistent, and the puck's sometimes too far from my body when I shoot it. I'm working on it, though, and the extra muscle will do it some good.

Still though, I do like a reasonably flexy shaft. I used a friends 110 flex stick a while back, and my shot blew. My current one's about a 90, but I like the 95.

That said, the shop I was in (in Scotland, btw), doesn't have a particularly varied selection of shafts. They've got plenty woods, plenty OPS, but the only shafts that really suited me - the Cyclone and an extra Stiff TPS Rubber.

Still not entirely decided - has anybody got comparisons between the two?

Again, thanks for the replies. :)

Unless you feel like getting new gloves every 6 months or sending your gloves to Canada to get repalmed, don't get the Rubber. I used one for half of this season, and had to scrb the hell out of my glove palms to get them back into almost normal shape. Rubbers help for grip, but it's nothing that lifting weights and getting your grip and forearms stronger wouldn't solve even better. By the way, remember that when you train forearms, there are different types of forearms strength, not the least of which is grip strength. You also incorporate forearms on bicep exercises, especially incline curls. Then, wrist curls will take care of teh rest, I think... If you want to gain some muscle, which shouldn't be hard since you are a skinny hockey player with probably not a lot of fat, then stick to the big 4 for your main exercises: squats, deadlifts, bench press, and weighted chinups/pullups... PM me for anything else.

Why are some people so obsessed with lifting weights and getting bigger? Use the stick that works best for you no matter what. Hell, I'm a big guy and I prefer a 90-95 flex. There's nothing wrong with using what works.

Is the Rubber really that bad for gloves?

I just (couple of months ago) got a new pair, and I'm really not up for destroying them just now.... :D

As for the whole exercise/weights thing, I'm in pretty good shape, I think. I'm just not built like a tank :D I exercise regularly, but I'm not as small as it seems.

Looks like I might go for that Cyclone then. When I manage to lay my hands on some cash, that is. I love being a student..... :lol:

Why are some people so obsessed with lifting weights and getting bigger? Use the stick that works best for you no matter what. Hell, I'm a big guy and I prefer a 90-95 flex. There's nothing wrong with using what works.

I'm not talkin Adonis complex, but 6' 165 is pretty skinny, considering I'm 5'9" 172, and it's more in the legs than upper body. I just think that a lot of equipment or performance problems could be solved by getting in better overall shape, and if that means putting on a few pounds of muscle, more power to you. Also, it's cheaper to lift than buy and try new gear... A much better solution for a starvin college kid just tryin to raise some money to raise some hell in Europe in Fall. Please don't hate on me mista

And yes, after about 6 months the rubber is that big of an issue, so much so that it will affect how other, non-rubber shafts feel in those gloves...

Actually depending on bone structure, muscle mass and body fat % anywhere from 160-200 could be the correct weight for someone who is 6' tall. Hockey players tend to be stockier than the average person but in many cases adding too much muscle mass can hinder rather than help.

Holdinjg something with some weight and doing hand curls, reverse curls and twists with it should help. A 1 gallon milk jug with water in it works well.

Actually depending on bone structure, muscle mass and body fat % anywhere from 160-200 could be the correct weight for someone who is 6' tall.

Not to mention the fact that size has very little to do with ability.

I've got a buddy that's the same height as me (6') and weighs about 140 or so... I weigh 201 but he's a way better skater and stickhandler than I am.

Size is REALLY not that huge a factor in non check leagues like rec ice and roller. You'll do alot better having a good aerobic/anaerobic system and speed. I don't get many chances to use my size in our leagues. It's good to know it's there, and it may be a little harder to move me from my position and makes it easier to rub someone off the puck, but other than that...

For forearms, just lift heavy and without straps or gloves in other lifts that require you to grip the weight, like biceps/back exercises and deadlifts. Also, just try picking up the heaviest dumbbells you can hold and just hold them for as long as you can. Probably the best thing would be to use that bar with handles with teh rope hanging from the middle that you attach a weight to and roll up and down. Wrist curls don't do as much as some people think they do, so I've read. You could try picking up that gyro-something ball from Epuck...

Geki you're right, but since I play D I like having the physical faculties to make people waqnt to stay away from my side if I should need to use them. THere are also ways to lift and eat so that you concentrate more on purely getting stronger and not bigger. It's hard to talk about it on teh surface cuz a lot of people equate lifting with getting huge and slow, but you can tweak your routine to get stronger and faster. You can also circuit train which will increase muscular endurance more as well.

Chadd: I'm just coming from the background of seeing some guys who were just incredible physical specimens dominate over more skilled and even smarter players cuz of their superior physical abilities of speed and strength. I just don't want to be that slow, weak guy who can think the game and pick his spots but never gets a shot off cuz everyone is faster/stronger...

I have had a cyclone since 02 and all I have to say is wow. I play about 3-4 times a week. And in a physical league to. The paint is almost all gone on mine but its a dandy of a shaft.

a starvin college kid just tryin to raise some money to raise some hell in Europe in Fall.

:lol:

Don't think anybody's ever described me like that before! :D

Anyhow, thanks for all the responses guys. Looks like I'll probably go for the Cyclone, and probably try to to some exercises over the summer... :D

Just for reference, our league isn't non-contact. Full, open ice (floor?) hitting isn't allowed, but there's a surprising ammount let go. The big stuff gets called, but it gets pretty physical along the boards. Which is why I wear shoulder pads...(that, and my bro' almost separated his shoulder when he went into the boards awkwardly...)

Anyhow, a bit of size is useful, so I'll see what I can do on that front. I'm the youngest guy on my team (only 18), but I'm not the smallest. We go from about 5' 9'' or 10'' to the biggest guy, who's 6' 4'' 225lbs. He used to throw the Discus for Britain.

Anyhow, that was all a bit off topic, so I'll shut up....

Thanks again guys! :)

Ive been using a cyclone since 01 or 02. Ive only had to get two of them. My first one broke because some one stepped on it. The one i use now ive had for about a year and its still lasting and i play in 17 under leagues and adult leagues.

...any good forearm sterengthening exercizes?

This is kind of old school, and I've never personally tried it, but it theory it should work to give you stronger forearms.

Get a large bucket and fill it with fine sand...maybe buy a bag of play sand so it is clean without rocks and stuff...less than 6 bucks.

Keep your fingers together and stiff...(like a karate chop) drive your hand into the sand fingers first, straight down. When your hand is submerged in the sand...turn it counterclockwise. Pull your hand out and do it again. I don't know about the number of reps you should do.

But then, switch hands and keep going.

It's an old thing my Brother and Father did in their karate days.

Like I said, I've never tried it, but it should work (in theory).

Cheers.

I also have an 03 cyclone 95 flex (with the multi color look). The paint is chipping a little faster than my other sticks, but by far it is my favorite.

Hey, forgot to mention that there was also a Z-Bubble shaft that caught my eye - but I was going for the Cyclone 'cause the Z-bubble was a bit pricey......It was a 110 flex (although I've heard that with the taper, they're a bit whippier than that). Again, wasn't sure of the durability of it, though.

Still mulling it over, but probably going to go for the Cyclone. :) It felt pretty good in my hands, nice and light.

*edit* - Okay, I just realised that it's probably cheaper to order something of Epuck.com, rather than buy over here. Example, Z-bubble over here = £120 = over $200, compared with $90ish on Epuck. A better plan would surely be a shaft of epuck, like a Novius or an M-2 for $90, which is roughly £50, plus shipping. Sounds like a plan....but I still suck at making decisions like this :lol:

Do you have to pay any extra taxes on imported items? That can make items from over here more expensive.

Do you have to pay any extra taxes on imported items? That can make items from over here more expensive.

That's what I'm trying to work out.

Shipping itself is about $30 for a shaft, and I'd definitely have to pay some import tax, but I'm not sure how much. It's still probably cheaper though. Like I said, using a Z-bubble as an example - it's £120 over here. Which is roughly $220. Extortionate, I know....

Even with shipping and import tax, I reckon I'd probably be saving some money, and having a wider choice of shafts than over here. So...any thoughts?

(Sorry about the off-topic (kinda) nature of all this, by the way :) )