Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dan_The_Man_16

Tapered vs. Standard

Hi guys, I am in the market for a new stick and there are 4 of which that are interesting me. They are the Inno 1100 (tapered or standard) or the Inno Novius (tapered or standard). My main question is for those who have used the tapered AND standard models of these sticks, how different is the preformance.

Thanks.

NOTE: I have a pretty hard shot, but have never expiernced twisting problems with other sticks.

I haven't used a standard shaft in 3 years now. You know the story. Tapered = quicker release. I think it's more psychological than anything but it helps my game either way so I won't be switching back.

Feel is all personal preferance, but I think tapered shafts transmit better feel than standard shafts. It doesn't get much better than a T-Flex with a good wood blad ein it, like my customs...

I'm not as fond of the short hosel tapered shaft/blade combos as the original t-flex. I always thought the wood hosels added a little more flex and snap on my shots. It feels like the shafts don't flex as easily as the wood hosels did.

So if you sand a long hosel wood blade into a tapered shaft would you get a T-Flex like flex? meaning more flex on the stick?

I have never noticed any difference in feel or shot between a standard and short-hoseled stick. I just don't notice any "quick release" or at least any "quicker" than a standard blade/shaft. While I understand the physics and the reason it should have a better release (lower kick point, etc) I've never really experienced it in practice.

So if you sand a long hosel wood blade into a tapered shaft would you get a T-Flex like flex? meaning more flex on the stick?

Not really, the newer tapered shafts are a bit longer and have a longer taper than the t-flex did/does.

I have never noticed any difference in feel or shot between a standard and short-hoseled stick. I just don't notice any "quick release" or at least any "quicker" than a standard blade/shaft. While I understand the physics and the reason it should have a better release (lower kick point, etc) I've never really experienced it in practice.

Same here, my release is identical with pretty much every top of the line stick iv'e used, be it tapered, standard, or ops.

I'm not as fond of the short hosel tapered shaft/blade combos as the original t-flex. I always thought the wood hosels added a little more flex and snap on my shots. It feels like the shafts don't flex as easily as the wood hosels did.

Well, if you'll notice, the long hoseled wood blades flex at about the same place that the low connections flex. The low connection blades don't flex because their hosels are below the flex point of the stick. The low connection shafts are designed to do all the flexing.

Dan, I owned a tapered Novius 300 flex for a few months last year and it didn't flex like any tapered shaft I've ever used. Maybe it was the boron spine or Inno's construction, but I didn't feel that lower flex point that I was used to with other tapered shafts like the Synth or R2. It felt more like a standard shaft because the bottom of the shaft felt stiffer than what I thought it should have been.

I think the idea of the lower connection tapered shafts is to have a consistent flex point regardless of the flex of shaft you're using. In the example of long hoseled tapered blades, someone using a longer and stiffer shaft might feel the flex of the long hosel, while someone shorter using a whippier flex will only feel the shaft flex because the hosel is stiffer than the shaft. So the flex point is better controlled across the different flexes for the lower connection shafts/hosels by minimizing the effect of the longer hosel flex.

Well, if you'll notice, the long hoseled wood blades flex at about the same place that the low connections flex. The low connection blades don't flex because their hosels are below the flex point of the stick. The low connection shafts are designed to do all the flexing.

I understand the concept of a short hosel blade. I don't feel the low connection shafts flex as quickly as the wood hosels did. I really noticed it on snap shots.

In my opinion yes, but the lack of quality long hosel tapered blades makes it hard to get replacement blades. My only real gripe about the T-flex was that it was so short. With a 5 lie blade I had to put a longer plug in it than came standard. I wish more shafts were adult sized.

Well, I've decided to get a standard. My choices are down to three, the M-2, the Novius and the 1100. I know this much the M-2 is the lightest; and the Novius is the heaviest. If anyone has used any two (or all three) of these shafts and can compare I would be greatful.

Thanks guys

I am just about to buy a Synthesis, so bottom line is there any acutal noticable physical advantage of having a tapered shaft? in terms of shot speed.

A tapered shaft doesn't help with shot speed. It only helps with quickness of release and that is only in theory as well.

I'm not feelin' the $175 CAN price tag when I can get an Inno 1100 for $90 (well it's a Montreal 5100 but it's the same thing).

It's the same thing? What about the flexes? Is 240, 280 etc on the Inno system?

try a Vapor X(160$CND)

or a appolo(110$)

the montreal nitro(top of line is 140$ and have a nice sandpaper grip...like i love!!!:P)

and the vector shaft(140$)

p.s;I'M living in Montreal

It's the same thing? What about the flexes? Is 240, 280 etc on the Inno system?

According to Ponty it is. Which is awesome for the price. 240 should be a little stiffer then 260 (maybe 95-100) and 280 should be alittle whippier (I'm thinking 85). If anyone can confirm this please say so.