Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thejackal

hockey in college

its been a while... I'm trying this from Northern California, sold my gear this summer, havnt been near ice since. just wondering if any of you guys play hockey on an intermural team in college and how the caliber's like. I'm definitely heading back to the northeast after this summer, not sure where yet.

Don't know how many schools have intramural ice hockey, but lots have club teams. The skill level is all over the map. Some teams would get killed by high school teams and some teams like Penn State have Jr. A and even some NCAA DI transfers.

whats the skill level in a d3 club hockey team? thats what my school has. i heard d3 has lots of beginners...like people who just started to play. im gonna check out some of their games and see myself cuz i want to play on it next year.

club and intrtmural are completely different things. intermural is a school run program that involves different teams within the school. usually put together by individuals. thats how it was at my school anyways. usually 1 night a week. reasonably priced and a wide range of talent. but still a way to stay on the ice.

club is a nationally sanctioned and governed league. run by the ACHA, there are 3 mens divisions and 1 womens. div 1 brings AA, AAA, high school, jr a/b and even ncaa div 1 players that drop down. div 2 will see many of the same players at the higher level teams, and less talent at the lower end. div 3 are usually smaller schools, with a much smaller pool of players to pick from. not as good of caliber as 2 or 3. div 1 and some div 2 programs run very strong and intense programs, with schedules that will be very close to that of ncaa div 1 programs. it can be a very big commitment, but a great experience.

div 1 and some div 2 programs run very strong and intense programs, with schedules that will be very close to that of ncaa div 1 programs. it can be a very big commitment, but a great experience.

By schedules you mean the practice and game schedules right? Not the power of opponents?

Congrats. My two cousins were homeschooled. Like you, they also got the best score in their school on the SATs. They got calls from a few community colleges and even the University of Phoenix online, so I know how exciting that must have been for you.

Congrats. My two cousins were homeschooled. Like you, they also got the best score in their school on the SATs. They got calls from a few community colleges and even the University of Phoenix online, so I know how exciting that must have been for you.

:P That gave mea good laugh!

i missed ur sense of humor ;)

Intramural is just fun and laid back, no check, and maybe decent competition depending on who's playing...but it's nothing organized or serious. Basically like open hockey except with teams.

Club D1 is mostly for top notch players who haven't taken time off...D2 could depend on the team and area, but it's still good hockey, and it won't consume all your time or anything.

Princeton is a decent D2 team it looks like, so it might be a pretty good time...their website also says they accept everyone on to the team though.

http://www.princeton.edu/~mcice/index.html

By schedules you mean the practice and game schedules right? Not the power of opponents?

both really. practice, depending on the school will be 2-5 skates per week. home or away games every weekend. as for opponents... depends on who you play. there are some "leagues" within the ACHA, and those schedules can be pretty tough games week in and week out.

im looking at the princeton one in particular.

yaa i know...got #1 in my high school on SATs. they called me

Sorry, Princeton doesn't "call" kids, nor does any top university or liberal arts college for that matter. The only way they see your SAT scores is if you send them through the college board or if they are listed on your transcript, which is after YOU make the initial contact. Nice try.

I started the season with a D-1 Club team in Michigan. Pretty good competition, mostly Jr. B, Midget Major AAA/AA/High School, couple Jr. A kids.

Sorry, Princeton doesn't "call" kids, nor does any top university or liberal arts college for that matter. The only way they see your SAT scores is if you send them through the college board or if they are listed on your transcript, which is after YOU make the initial contact. Nice try.

i think he was being sarcastic...

im looking at the princeton one in particular.

the admission office sent me an email - they weren't even on my list before that (i was looking at mostly liberal art schools). i guess i could have rephrased that, sorry, if anyhting rubbed you the wrong way.

The caliber of intramural hockey is going to depend on location and what other leagues are available. The only one I'm really familiar with is at Michigan State. They have 3 different intramural leagues, and you can find some pretty good talent in the highest. I know there are some teams made up of the MSU hockey coaching staff/trainers that usually field pretty good squads.

An IM league is probably a gamble though...could be closer to pond hockey than anything organized. An intramural league at a major university in a hockey hotbed like MN or MI might have a more organized system than most.

The caliber of intramural hockey is going to depend on location and what other leagues are available. The only one I'm really familiar with is at Michigan State. They have 3 different intramural leagues, and you can find some pretty good talent in the highest. I know there are some teams made up of the MSU hockey coaching staff/trainers that usually field pretty good squads.

An IM league is probably a gamble though...could be closer to pond hockey than anything organized. An intramural league at a major university in a hockey hotbed like MN or MI might have a more organized system than most.

I agree about the IM leagues. From the schools ive looked at, it ranged from no team at all to like 20-25 (mcgill)

Yea, if you really want to play hockey in college, you should at least play for the club team...intramural here at our school consisted of about 5 games in the "season", and that was it. There was good competition, but it's nothing consistent or long-term, and I think most intramural is like this.

A D2 or D3 club program will still have games at least every other weekend, and practices at least a couple times a week...just depends on what level of commitment you want to have.

I played ACHA Div II at Daniel Webster (www.dwc.edu)

I initially started out with just the intramural pickup games, but they got old quick for me. Having that competative league (NECHA) kept me interested in hockey throughout college.

As the earlier posts stated, talent was across the board; as was the rest of the league, so that really wasn't a factor.

Checkout the team websites to get an idea of the players backgrounds and how you match up, you might be surprised.

Here's DWC's:

http://students.dwc.edu/hockey/open.htm

I started the season with a D-1 Club team in Michigan. Pretty good competition, mostly Jr. B, Midget Major AAA/AA/High School, couple Jr. A kids.

Are you sure you started the season with them? Or did you start the first tryout with them before the got rid of you like the stinky pussy that you are? bullshitter......

Do they scout d2 hockey ? Also, how does going to College in the states work ? Is it essays, Sat scores, and test's to get in ? Or do they look at your high school marks ?

Do they scout d2 hockey ? Also, how does going to College in the states work ? Is it essays, Sat scores, and test's to get in ? Or do they look at your high school marks ?

depends on what school since some don't require you to write essays. all of them look at high school grades, and atleast one of the tests ( ACT or SAT).

I played intramural hockey at the U of MN, and as I remember nobody took it very seriously. It was just fun to drink beer and then go fart around on the ice at Mariucci. Granted, this was nearly twenty years ago, so things may have changed since then. But, same as then, there are many better options in the Twin Cities metro for organized and competitive hockey.