Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gman

How the *&%#@ do you miss an open net?

So the goalie comes way out of the crease last night and challenges the pass. I skate up and grab it. I actually feel the goalie on my back and he's talking all kinds of smack. I turn it around take a half step and see the net is open. NO ONE there. Twenty things flash through my mind. Did I miss a whistle, was there a time out, WTF is going on? My son and the rest of the "crowd" are going nuts so I fugure it must still be live. I didn't dipsey-doodle, I didn't do anything fancy, I just pushed it about a quarter inch wide. I just about barfed! I remember my hands actually shaking as I was "pushing" it. I think the problem is I pushed it instead of just smacking it. Has anyone else done this or am I the only mouth breathing troglodyte poser here??? :wacko:

last night i was watching a local high school game and one of the best players on their team had an open net shot, he decided to hot dog it and take a slap shot, well hemissed the net. it had to be embarassing.

Last night, a guy from Dallas missed the empty net against Edmonton, who took it the other way and scored in the final seconds to send it to OT. Dallas won in the shootout, but I am sure that guy caught a ton of crap from his teammates.

Last night, a guy from Dallas missed the empty net against Edmonton, who took it the other way and scored in the final seconds to send it to OT. Dallas won in the shootout, but I am sure that guy caught a ton of crap from his teammates.

It was Patrik Stefan. I know he was cussed in my house.

It was Patrik Stefan. I know he was cussed in my house.

Mine too

i shanked many shots i know i could put in. what dont kill you will make you stronger. Aint it funny how you rarely remember the great plays you make but when you crap the bed it will haunt you for ever. I know I dont forget those plays and learn from them.

i shanked many shots i know i could put in. what dont kill you will make you stronger. Aint it funny how you rarely remember the great plays you make but when you crap the bed it will haunt you for ever. I know I dont forget those plays and learn from them.

i dont crap the bed.

or say aint

i dont crap the bed.

or say aint

But you are as useless as tits on a bull.

You mean this play:

Looks like the puck jumped over a rut in the ice, I'll give him that.

Geez as the announcer said that has to be one of the most embarresing plays ever.

You mean this play:

Man, that is almost exactly what I did. Only I cannot blame it on a bump in the ice...

It is reassuring to see it happen to someone else (especially a pro).

I missed an open net the other day...but it wasn't in a regulated game but still...the puck was shot in, I come down the LW and the puck takes a funky bounce behind the net. The goalie tries to play it but winds up turning the wrong way, puck comes directly to me and voila wide open net for an easy goal, cept I had to catch it on my backhand, shoot and goes off the outside of the post. I blame it all on the curve on my stick :P

When the goalie's got the angle covered and does everything right, and I basically have nothing to shoot at, I find a way to squeeze it through him.

When I've got an open net with nobody within 15 feet, I miss it. Just the way it goes sometimes.

there are times when you couldnt have scored but you did, so there will be some times that you will miss simple ones.

A little off topic, but was playing in an indoor soccer league last night... team mate gets the ball, keeper already commited on the floor. Team mate dribbles past, with only the net to hit, and misses from 5 yards... good thing we were already up 8-2

You panicked, got funky, and could not even tie your own skates in that mode.

Go get one of those pop sports psychology books, like "Hockey Tough", and learn how to do it right next time. Do you think Tiger Woods has the same mental process as you when he walks up to a tee with 3000 people crowded around snapping pix, or do you think he just walks up to the tee, does a little ritual, and whacks the ball perfectly almost every time? He knows how to control his body and mind. You only know how to control your body.

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

The will to win is important, but the will to prepare is vital.

-Joe Paterno

There's no substitute for guts.

-Paul Bear Bryant

My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging

-Hank Aaron

A few quotes from some greats.....

You mean this play:

Looks like the puck jumped over a rut in the ice, I'll give him that.

Geez as the announcer said that has to be one of the most embarresing plays ever.

This announcer's an idiot.Obviously it popped over the bad ice. They were talking about it all day on sportsnet and tsn and im just thinking give it up, shit happens right?

I think the announcer is upset that he kinda ho-hummed it....he should have shot it (not wound up...) but just below the slot.....a hard pass into the net....not the casual approach he took.

Don't hotdog it, but don't take an "easy" goal for granted.