Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
crazykeeper3317

Show off your gear

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

@OptimusReim where in the bloody hell did you find the black cowlings?

Those skates are gurt lush!!!!!

I paid an obscene amount of money for a pair of custom Reactor 6000s that had only been used 2-3 times before becoming damaged somehow (the inside of the boot looks burnt, somehow?) They were for a pro goalie coach, or something like that. Custom ordered with the black cowlings. 

13 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

I paid an obscene amount of money for a pair of custom Reactor 6000s that had only been used 2-3 times before becoming damaged somehow (the inside of the boot looks burnt, somehow?) They were for a pro goalie coach, or something like that. Custom ordered with the black cowlings. 

I thought the black cowlings were a custom order-only offering. One could dye their cowlings, but black always comes out meh. Actually, I had a set of lime green holders that were dyed by the company who sold them that have faded to an icky olive drab colour. 

I have a set of Bauer One60 cowlings (no Vertexx cut outs) that I removed from a pair of Bauer Reactor 2000. I got that pair for all of $120. I didn't put that on the bargain thread as it was an in-store deal. Again, those cowlings are also tough to find not on a skate, and are only available on a higher end skate on a custom order.

None the less- your VH skates are money with the black cowlings and Black Step. How are the Step holding up?

43 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I thought the black cowlings were a custom order-only offering. One could dye their cowlings, but black always comes out meh. Actually, I had a set of lime green holders that were dyed by the company who sold them that have faded to an icky olive drab colour. 

I have a set of Bauer One60 cowlings (no Vertexx cut outs) that I removed from a pair of Bauer Reactor 2000. I got that pair for all of $120. I didn't put that on the bargain thread as it was an in-store deal. Again, those cowlings are also tough to find not on a skate, and are only available on a higher end skate on a custom order.

None the less- your VH skates are money with the black cowlings and Black Step. How are the Step holding up?

Yes, black cowlings are only on custom orders. 

Heh, a pair of Reactor 2000s doesn't really deserve a post in a bargain thread as thats just a standard spring price for an older model ;) I mean, they're only $99 on Pure Hockey at this point. That was the model I started with before I went to VH. 

I haven't had a chance to skate on the step yet. I've been in Atlanta for two weeks. Going home tomorrow to play my game Sunday, then flying back here Monday for another week. 

5 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

Yes, black cowlings are only on custom orders. 

Heh, a pair of Reactor 2000s doesn't really deserve a post in a bargain thread as thats just a standard spring price for an older model ;) I mean, they're only $99 on Pure Hockey at this point. That was the model I started with before I went to VH. 

I haven't had a chance to skate on the step yet. I've been in Atlanta for two weeks. Going home tomorrow to play my game Sunday, then flying back here Monday for another week. 

The ONLY reason why they would have been a bargain was that you got the cowlings and steel (for what it is) cheap and could throw away the boot! 

I am a HUGE Step Steel fan. You'll like the Step for it's durability, and from what I hear about the DLC, you'll love the edge durability from the coating.

Step are a no-brainer upgrade for every holder/cowling that takes them. I hope that Step are still available in years to come, as the current Bauer steel is just plain HORRENDOUS.

^meaning that I hope that all cowlings/holders don't go the way of the newer Bauer offerings that are proprietary designs.

(can't edit posts)

They sent the glove early, so I'd have time to break it in at home before the rest of the set arrives. Dear lord. It's even better in person than the mockups! 

kEYxA0v.jpg

3LDCfZt.jpg

VjF3aX8.jpg

The internals are... really weird. First, it's an intermediate palm. But the weird part is that there are no thumb or pinkie loops. You have to squeeze your hand into basially an internal "glove" that holds your hand exactly in place. It's to tight getting your hand in that theres actually a strap to hold on to while your shoving your hand in. Then two straps across the backhand, and one really nice velcro strap on the cuff. Kind of like what Brian's has, but way better executed. It's also very odd having a different break than I'm used to. This one feels more like a baseball glove (using my thumb opposite my index finger) vs my S-Series which was more just closing the glove with your four fingers with your thumb stationary. 

It's still pretty stiff even with them breaking it in for me, but that's not surprising. Keeps33 time! Oh, it's got a maltese palm, too. Woo! 

39 minutes ago, badger_14 said:

Finally got in some hockey today!  Not too many people at the lunch-time open hockey, but enough for 3 on 3 half ice, which meant a solid workout for an hour.  Then two of them left and it was a less-solid workout for another half hour. 

I have had some pain in my leg for a couple of weeks - I think I may have tweaked something while stretching, because there is no obvious external damage, and there's no tenderness either.  But after skating today sweet merciful crap going up stairs, or down stairs, or any kind of 'pushing off' on that leg hurts like a bejeebus.  Ugh.  I know it will subside with rest and ice, but rest isn't any fun.  (I may have to take to the liquid form of ice for exercise for a bit.) 

I know the regular rink opens again on the 16th, but I've heard nothing so far of what the Russian Embassy's plans are for summer hockey.

I think you posted in the wrong thread ;)

17 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

Yeah it's a bit odd. Though my S-Series isn't too much different from this. My Sub6.0 glove has a huge cuff. 

Can you show more pictures of it? Or is this part of the secrete stuff?

2 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

I think you posted in the wrong thread ;)

It's been a long few days.  

Secretly, I just want to have something nice to post here. ;)

0410633e-c823-4c08-ab5a-0700ec63b39c_zps

Didn't have a chance to post it yesterday but I finally ended up going to Perani's yesterday to try on some skates. Decided to start off with the 44k's and Reactor 6000's. I was hoping that the 44k's would fit good but unfortunately the boot was pinching in on my ankle so bad that I couldn't even get my foot against the back of the skate. The Reactors fit absolutely amazing though! They felt great to begin with and baking definitely helped even more.

I'll be trying them out on the ice tomorrow. I've heard some bad rumors that breaking them in is an absolute pain but most skates are anyways so I'm not too worried. From the cost of them I'll have enough loyalty points for $25 back so I think it would be a perfect reason to finally try out some powerfoot inserts!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

Nice skates! I started with Reactor :)

Thanks! I was definitely not expecting them to be as comfy as they are. Before I went into the store I thought I was going to get some superfeet or at least some CCM liners to put with whichever skate I got but these things have so much comfort foam in them it would be ridiculous of me to drop another $50 on them. I wish they would have had the Lundqvist strap on the back to try out but oh well, as long as they fit good then that's all that matters.

On 5/13/2016 at 8:27 PM, tedpenguins said:

0410633e-c823-4c08-ab5a-0700ec63b39c_zps

Didn't have a chance to post it yesterday but I finally ended up going to Perani's yesterday to try on some skates. Decided to start off with the 44k's and Reactor 6000's. I was hoping that the 44k's would fit good but unfortunately the boot was pinching in on my ankle so bad that I couldn't even get my foot against the back of the skate. The Reactors fit absolutely amazing though! They felt great to begin with and baking definitely helped even more.

I'll be trying them out on the ice tomorrow. I've heard some bad rumors that breaking them in is an absolute pain but most skates are anyways so I'm not too worried. From the cost of them I'll have enough loyalty points for $25 back so I think it would be a perfect reason to finally try out some powerfoot inserts!

Hey! Those are beauts for sure! Did you end up testing out the POWERFOOT? If so, how did it go?

@MikeBoyarchuk I did! Made the fit of the boot even better than it already was. Definitely sold on the product and I'm actually going to get another set soon to put in my RBZ 75's. It took a bit of time to get used to but after about 15 minutes on the ice I was fine. My slides along the ice seemed to be a bit quicker too just because my foot wasn't able to move as much in the boot. They were definitely worth the $20! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tedpenguins said:

@MikeBoyarchuk I did! Made the fit of the boot even better than it already was. Definitely sold on the product and I'm actually going to get another set soon to put in my RBZ 75's. It took a bit of time to get used to but after about 15 minutes on the ice I was fine. My slides along the ice seemed to be a bit quicker too just because my foot wasn't able to move as much in the boot. They were definitely worth the $20! 

Nice! Thanks for the great feedback. It's great to hear from goalies like you because, as you stated, there are a lot of benefits in a  goalie skate as well. Thanks for the support and glad to have you on Team POWERFOOT.

On May 9, 2016 at 11:26 PM, Hills said:

Did they forget to install a top cuff haha. Looks so weird.

Haha.  A lot of people have the reaction but the cuff design (like everything else on our gear) is very purposeful. This specific design for our glove is meant as more of a baseball style catcher.  The typical user holders their fingers up so wrist flexibility is key.  Thus the large cut out.  You'll notice we even oriented the logo on the cuff to appear right side up when holding glove fingers-up!

17 hours ago, GoalieTimmy33 said:

Haha.  A lot of people have the reaction but the cuff design (like everything else on our gear) is very purposeful. This specific design for our glove is meant as more of a baseball style catcher.  The typical user holders their fingers up so wrist flexibility is key.  Thus the large cut out.  You'll notice we even oriented the logo on the cuff to appear right side up when holding glove fingers-up!

Those pictures were certainly a shocker the first time I saw them, now that I have seen a few for sale on Facebook it starts to look pretty normal. I can also see it being a benefit compared to the CCM design which I have felt interfere with my gloves