Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSnake22

Jamie McLennan

The NHL did a very good job of appearing to do something to outsiders, but the suspension and fines have absolutely zero impact on the series or any players. It's absolutely pathetic.

This is a great point. You could suspend McLennan for 1 game, 5 games, or 20 games, it's irrelevant. If Kiprusoff doesn't play for some reason, the Flames won't win. It doesn't matter if it's McLennan or some scrub from the AHL. This is a completely meaningless suspension.

Personally, I think Langkow's sucker punch is worthy of a game suspension. That was a dirty play with the intent being to injure Lebda...and it worked. He's not likely to play this game. The Lebda hit was not a dirty hit, and Langkow's retaliation was completely out of line. Instead of suspending him for a game though, they appease the masses by suspending McLennan and dishing out fines, neither of which will effect the outcome of the series.

Let's not forget about Langkow's sucker punch on Lebda? Should be suspension worthy. IMO worst than Tootoo on Robidas.

edit: Some will say Lebda's hip check was low & dirty, which I think was borderline (definately interference) a call was being made on Lebda. That I guess is what my problem is, besides the punch to the face.

Langkow's sucker punch to Lebda was not worse than the Sucker punch Tootoo gave to Robidas. Langkow's punch was definitly an intent to injure but I did not see Lebda get carried off the ice on a stretcher. Another thing on Langkow's punch Lebda was sitting there so there wasnt as much force exerted to Lebda's head wheras when Tootoo punched Robidas, Robidas was coming in with speed and Tootoo whirled around and caught him full on in the face. I'm not saying what Langkow did was right I'm just saying that what he did was not as bad as what Tootoo did.

Calgary was a complete disgrace in that game. Iginla was just disgraceful and McLennan slash was just stupid.

What makes anyone think the NHL is going to change here and now, today in the first round of the playoffs? The NHL will do what they want to. Its their business. Let the hockey-bashers come out and circle their wagons to shoot their guns at how bad hockey is. This scenario was going on in the 50s when Montrealers trashed Ste. Catherine Street after the Rocket was suspended by NHL Commish Clarence Campbell.What about the year Adam Graves slashed Mario Lemieux in the playoffs and broke his hand? What about Dale Hunter's after the goal hit on Pierre Turgeon took Turgeon out of the playoffs and that effectively ended all Islander hopes in the playoffs that year? This is hockey, same as it ever was. Same as it always will be. If you are seriously waiting for the NHL to get better or clean up its act, you really haven't been paying attention.

They did exactly what I expected them to do.

Then don't say its pathetic when its SOP- standard operating procedure.

For those just tuning in, Chadd and I have an understanding to disagree with each other on anything in a polite and professional way.

Langkow's sucker punch to Lebda was not worse than the Sucker punch Tootoo gave to Robidas. Langkow's punch was definitly an intent to injure but I did not see Lebda get carried off the ice on a stretcher. Another thing on Langkow's punch Lebda was sitting there so there wasnt as much force exerted to Lebda's head wheras when Tootoo punched Robidas, Robidas was coming in with speed and Tootoo whirled around and caught him full on in the face. I'm not saying what Langkow did was right I'm just saying that what he did was not as bad as what Tootoo did.

Calgary was a complete disgrace in that game. Iginla was just disgraceful and McLennan slash was just stupid.

I disagree. Tootoo's sucker punch had a worse outcome which I can definately see why you would say it is worse. My reason for thinking it was worse than the Tootoo incident was because Robidas came in at Tootoo, but Lebda wasn't even expecting it. I would say that it depends on your take. My question is what if Robidas had got back up or Lebda was carried off on a stretcher, would you still feel the same way?

Just to clarify that I am not trying to start a flame war but I am really curious on your opinion on that last question. Just for debate purposes.

Then don't say its pathetic when its SOP- standard operating procedure.

For those just tuning in, Chadd and I have an understanding to disagree with each other on anything in a polite and professional way.

Just because it was exactly as I expected does not mean that it wasn't pathetic. Isn't it possible for someone to expect an unacceptable outcome?

I enjoy our debates though we should have them over beer more often. Speaking of debates, did you see Pierre's interview with Dion? He was having trouble putting together partial phrases, let alone complete sentences.

Ok, the response was sad but status quo for the NHL.

Pierre did get too excited so close to Dion. I guess that was pathetic, too!!

Ok, the response was sad but status quo for the NHL.

Pierre did get too excited so close to Dion. I guess that was pathetic, too!!

Nah, just funny. I really haven't heard Pierre jocking him too much this season, I just thought of our debates when I saw that interview.

I must be in the minority as I don't have much of an issue with Langkow's punch. If someone goes low on me like that during garbage time then they better be expecting a shot to the chops.

I must be in the minority as I don't have much of an issue with Langkow's punch. If someone goes low on me like that during garbage time then they better be expecting a shot to the chops.

I completely agree, and it wasn't even a closed fist, it looks like he hit him with an uppercut face wash.

I hate both teams but none of these actions were as bad as they appeared. Franzen looked like a futbol player out there... the only thing that was missing was two guys coming out with two poles wrapped in a blanket to carry him off the ice pitch. There is no way that McLennan could've gotten any force behind that stick with one hand on the top of a goal stick with a backhand bitch slap motion.

Someone said Iginla butt-ended Schneider in the kidneys... that's tough to do with a stick in front of someone and not behind them.

I hate both teams by the way but I find this reactionary bullshit hilarious. In the 70's and 80's these things wouldn't have even been noteworthy.

I disagree. Tootoo's sucker punch had a worse outcome which I can definately see why you would say it is worse. My reason for thinking it was worse than the Tootoo incident was because Robidas came in at Tootoo, but Lebda wasn't even expecting it. I would say that it depends on your take. My question is what if Robidas had got back up or Lebda was carried off on a stretcher, would you still feel the same way?

Just to clarify that I am not trying to start a flame war but I am really curious on your opinion on that last question. Just for debate purposes.

Let me clarify this. My view is that when Robidas got hit the force of the punch was much worse than that of the punch to Lebda's face. Maybe I would feel different if Lebda had been carried off on a stretcher but the point is he wasn't. I agree that Lebda wasnt expecting it. BUT DO YOU THINK THAT ROBIDAS WAS EXPECTING TO GET SUCKER PUNCHED IN THE FACE WHEN HE CAME IN ON TOOTOO? Personally I don't think either of them were ready for it but the force of the impact is what makes my opinion differ.

Let me clarify this. My view is that when Robidas got hit the force of the punch was much worse than that of the punch to Lebda's face. Maybe I would feel different if Lebda had been carried off on a stretcher but the point is he wasn't. I agree that Lebda wasnt expecting it. BUT DO YOU THINK THAT ROBIDAS WAS EXPECTING TO GET SUCKER PUNCHED IN THE FACE WHEN HE CAME IN ON TOOTOO? Personally I don't think either of them were ready for it but the force of the impact is what makes my opinion differ.

By all means no, I don't think he did nor would I expect to get decked for coming in. Completely agree with everything you are saying though. Two of the worse decisions those two men could have made.

By all means no, I don't think he did nor would I expect to get decked for coming in. Completely agree with everything you are saying though. Two of the worse decisions those two men could have made.

Yea those 2 made bad desicions but one place where my opinion differs is that Tootoo seemed like he was trying to defend himself(natural instinct) from getting drilled into the boards. (don't get me wrong I don't think what he did was right) Wheras Langkow just lost his temper and threw the punch at him.

I completely agree, and it wasn't even a closed fist, it looks like he hit him with an uppercut face wash.

I hate both teams but none of these actions were as bad as they appeared. Franzen looked like a futbol player out there... the only thing that was missing was two guys coming out with two poles wrapped in a blanket to carry him off the ice pitch. There is no way that McLennan could've gotten any force behind that stick with one hand on the top of a goal stick with a backhand bitch slap motion.

Someone said Iginla butt-ended Schneider in the kidneys... that's tough to do with a stick in front of someone and not behind them.

I hate both teams by the way but I find this reactionary bullshit hilarious. In the 70's and 80's these things wouldn't have even been noteworthy.

Doesn't matter what happens there is always someone on this site who will justify the kind of goonery Calgary showed at the end of game 5.

I don't think he was justifying what Calgary did. What he said, and I agree with, is that what Calgary did was done over and over in the 70s and 80s by many NHL teams. If you were a fan then, you should remember the Flyers doing things like that, the Leafs going ballistic with Tiger Williams, the Canucks going ballistic with Tiger Williams, the Bruins and Islanders having one of the toughest first round series ever with Terry O'Reilly and Clark Gillies duking it out like 2 longshoremen, the Canadiens and Nordiques having a fight during warm-ups, the Islanders and Rangers(many times during the 80s Isles Cup run this was their toughest series) going at it with Ed Hospodar and Garry Howatt in the early rounds, Ron Hextall running into the corner during the last minute of Game 6 in 89 to spear and mug Chris Chelios during Chelly's Hab days in the semi's, and the Oilers having some major brawls with Calgary(why do you think they call it the Battle of Alberta?). This nasty stuff is the down and dirty of playoff hockey. Nobody is justifying what happened. What is funny is when guys act like it never happened before and we should hide the women and children and worry about the negative press hockey will take for this "incident." Watch hockey for the next ten years and see how many more times it happens. Hell, watch the rest of the playoffs and see how many more times it happens. This has happened before and it will happen again.

Has happened before.... yes, but that doesn't justify it. It should never occur no matter what era you are in...

Those violent hicks that say it's part of the game, just don't get it. Hockey was never meant to be about fighting/cheapshots/assaults, the game started out on the premonition of beeing a teamsport based on skill. Contact yes, cheapshots no.

If you try to justify any of the shit from the Calgary/Detroit game with shit that happened in the 70's/80's, you don't deserve to play hockey.

And yes I know it will happen again, and this whole discussion will start from stratch like a bad Deja Vu, but still, it should never happen

The NHL players aren't playing the game of hockey that you are.

It is not a game to an NHL player. It is a professional job where at certain times(the playoffs) it is going to get nasty, dirty, and ugly all on the same shift. This is the North American game at the highest professional level. I am not comparing it to SM-Liiga or the top Swedish league. The European game is a different brand of hockey. I am sure it can be just as rough and tough in those leagues. The road through to the Stanley Cup is littered with messy wrecks along the way. Yes, it always has been and always will be. Never once do I say right or wrong. I just say it is.

Nobody is justifying anything. Like it or not, there are parts of the game outside of the rules that are parts of the game. Every player at the NHL level knows damn well it could happen any shift.

As for whether or not one deserves to play the game based on an opinion about an NHL game incident, that is good stuff for a laugh.