Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jokerit1967

Zog's Sex Wax Hockey Wax v. SnapWax

lol, sorry to be unclear- what I meant was, why not just use really sticky blade tape? What is the wax adding?

Friction tape is very thick and can negatively impact the feel, especially on a composite blade. Most friction tape I've seen doesn't stick all that well either. For me, the wax mostly keeps the tape from getting shredded too fast.

lol, sorry to be unclear- what I meant was, why not just use really sticky blade tape? What is the wax adding?

While some really like the feel of a waxed and taped stick (I do) the primary reason to wax a blade is stop snow from building up on the blade.

If I didn't like the feel, I wuldn't wax my blade. My rink sucks so bad u'd need a shovel to keep buildup from forming. I say it's impossible to eliminate buildup on your blade at my rink.

I tried paraffin melted in for several games but it did make the blade too stick. Back to Mr Zogs for me.

I tried paraffin melted in for several games but it did make the blade too stick. Back to Mr Zogs for me.

Sorry, too sticky? or too slick?

Zogs FTW.

I was playing in New Hampshire last year, and told the guy on the draw next to me to smell my blade, he got an EJ for a bunch of crap right after that. My team asked me later...what did you do to make him flip....I said....in a Jeff Dunhams "Jalpeno on a sick" voice...."Do you want to smell my steek?"

That had the guys going for a few days. Hilarious.

Zog's is good. I think I have a "tin" of Snap Wax at home (comes in a red "tin") and I'd say it's harder than Zog's.

I also like to melt in my wax and Zog's is way better than the other brands I've tried for that.

I was using that 3M Liquid tape for awhile, then went back to Zog's. Now I'm back to 3M and it just feels better. If you're thinking friction tape or like wax on your blade, try the 3M stuff. It's pricey, though.

Zog's is good. I think I have a "tin" of Snap Wax at home (comes in a red "tin") and I'd say it's harder than Zog's.

I also like to melt in my wax and Zog's is way better than the other brands I've tried for that.

I was using that 3M Liquid tape for awhile, then went back to Zog's. Now I'm back to 3M and it just feels better. If you're thinking friction tape or like wax on your blade, try the 3M stuff. It's pricey, though.

The 3M stuff you're talking about is exclusive to Canadian Tire, so no go for the American members.

It all depends on what you want.

If all you want is to keep snow off the blade, then use parafin.

If you are looking for tackiness along with that, then it's up for debate. Mojo is better than the rest. It is softer and it grips better. Plus it comes in colors, which is cool.

Zogs, blade butter, snap wax all seemed like decent products to me. I would say Zogs is the hardest of the three (I could be wrong as it's been a while since I've used those).

Like all things, it's personal preference based on your game and what you want the product to do. For every person out there that loves the hot new stick or skate, there is someone who thinks it's junk. The only way to really know is to try them all. With wax, it's easy since it's not a huge investment.

As a surfer, I never felt that Zogs wax was any better or worse than the competition. It was very interchangeable with the others. Decent, but nothing special. Surfers go through much more wax than hockey players. Tackiness is critical for traction in surfing. I think of it the same way for hockey. I want a really tacky wax that helps with puck control. I buy the product that does that.

In short, match up the product with your own game.

It all depends on what you want.

If all you want is to keep snow off the blade, then use parafin.

If you are looking for tackiness along with that, then it's up for debate. Mojo is better than the rest. It is softer and it grips better. Plus it comes in colors, which is cool.

Zogs, blade butter, snap wax all seemed like decent products to me. I would say Zogs is the hardest of the three (I could be wrong as it's been a while since I've used those).

Like all things, it's personal preference based on your game and what you want the product to do. For every person out there that loves the hot new stick or skate, there is someone who thinks it's junk. The only way to really know is to try them all. With wax, it's easy since it's not a huge investment.

As a surfer, I never felt that Zogs wax was any better or worse than the competition. It was very interchangeable with the others. Decent, but nothing special. Surfers go through much more wax than hockey players. Tackiness is critical for traction in surfing. I think of it the same way for hockey. I want a really tacky wax that helps with puck control. I buy the product that does that.

In short, match up the product with your own game.

Do you find the stickiness effects your shooting much??

Another +1 for the pink Sex Wax. I have a plastic dish of the A&R i tried before that, and never liked it.

For the Sex Wax, I melt it in over the stove after putting on, can barely see it on white tape.

And I do find that it helps keep snow from building up on the tape through the game. I mostly use wood blades, and I like to think that it helps the blade from absorbing moisture.

+1 for the move to blade tape but when i still used tape and wax, snap wax just seemed alot more tacky than the mr zogs IMHO

Do you find the stickiness effects your shooting much??

If anything it helps when I 'draw' it into my 'wheelhouse'. I wouldn't say any different on slappers. I know some of the wax company's claim wax gives you a harder shot. I don't know about that. To me it seems the same. However, I will say that the only time I played without wax is when I played on synthetic ice last summer. In short, I haven't been on ice without wax for years. I consider it a necessity like stick tape or shin guard tape.

Anyone ever try waxing a composite blade directly and forgoing tape? Would that work?

I did that on a really old stick during sticks and pucks. A stick I would never use in pickup.

Just a bad idea overall. Not the same as tape and water gets all over the blade. Wax is used to compliment the tape, Not replace it.