Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shifter

kids seen today with their equipment

Yeah it kind of annoys me when kids have top of the line everything but even I have good equipment (I do pay for it all though) even if i'm not the greatest player to ever skate. It just gets to me how some kids' parents will buy them anything they ask for, because I work all summer so I have money to last me the year, I buy everything I have (laptop, clothes, equipment, etc)but I figure its only fair because my parents pay 5 grand a year to send my ass to private school. I'm proud of the work i've done to buy what I have and I appreciate it and care for it that much more because I forked out my own money for it. I think parents who spoil their kids are stupid because they don't learn the value of money and they don't appreciate what they're given, which will come back to bite them in the end when they expect to get every served to them on a silver platter.

my parents pay 5 grand a year to send my ass to private school

And you're giving parenting advice ? Thanks for the help slapshotsteve73

when my kid first started playing I bought him mid level equipment with fit as the main priority, not price. Now my kid plays at a AA level and he gets to pretty much decide what gear he wants...which sometimes (okay most of the times) is the high end stuff. He is 13 so he does his research into the gear he likes and I get to okay it.

If it means a better fit and better protection then the money is not an issue. The difference between a mid level and high level helmet is what...maybe $40-$50 dollars. That's alot cheaper than a hospital bill if the cheaper helmet fails. As far as skates, as much as he is on the ice price is not a priority, fit, comfort , protection and duability is. He normally out grows his skates in a little less than a year. He wears Vector 10's that wear roughly $400.00 (u.s). If I bought him skates that were only $250.00 and he breaks them down quickly and needs another pair then that is $500.00 in a year so I'm still up a $100.00 for spending the extra money.

The only place I don't spend alot of money is on his sticks. A $300.00 stick isn't going to make him shoot or play better than a $130.00 stick.

The biggest thing is I have worked hard to get where I am in life. If I want to spend my money on expensive equipment who's right is it to complain. My son and I both know that the equipment doesn't make the player and he has been taught to never flaunt or brag about his stuff because there are alot of people who are not able to afford it.

Why just because I'm a not a parent it makes me an idiot?

No, just naive. I was pointing out that you may well see things differently when you actually are a parent and you actually have to make these decisions. Trust me, it is different than you think.

What is more imortant is that kids become spoiled when they don't know the value of a dollar, don't respect others and come to believe that they are owed whatever they want. That can be quite independant of the quality of skates they wear !

If it means a better fit and better protection then the money is not an issue. The difference between a mid level and high level helmet is what...maybe $40-$50 dollars. That's alot cheaper than a hospital bill if the cheaper helmet fails.

Do you really think "cheap" helmets just all of a sudden fail or offer less protection than an "expensive" helmet? If they are certified, then they meet the same standards, and if they are properly maintained there should be no difference in the protection.

More expensive helmets have more expensive foams that are more comfortable while offering the same protection, as well as design features like special venting and moisture handling (intake).

If I had to take a blow to the head, I wouldn’t be happy, but I wouldn’t be afraid to use a $40 helmet instead of a $120 helmet as long as it was certified.

Good argument...but as you might know, the material inside the helmet, whether VN or EPP, is a personal preference. In the minors and pros...the NBH 4000/4500 and CCM HT and 692 still dominate.

I think the point about the helmet is to prioritize your spending decisons. Spending an extra $40-$50 for a piece of equipment designed to protect your head is what I consider spending your money wisely. Yes, all helmets are certified as they must be. However, I would rather take that slew foot move and land on the back of my head wearing a high-end helmet than a low-end helmet with lower quality foams. The low-end helmet/combos are great for kids just getting started. The parents are not sure if Jr is going to stick with hockey. These helmets do the job they are designed for as usually starter kids are not checking, going to clinic, and learning to skate.

I agree with the dads who are letting their sons get better quality pads for AA and AAA hockey. These players, especially first year peewees with checking and first year bantams where there can easily be a 40 lb difference in players checking each other, are making smart decisions through investing quality equipment for protection. If you are spending $3K(pick a number) for travel hockey before you even play a game or practice, you might as well be sure you have the protection to play the game.

If it means a better fit and better protection then the money is not an issue. The difference between a mid level and high level helmet is what...maybe $40-$50 dollars. That's alot cheaper than a hospital bill if the cheaper helmet fails.

Do you really think "cheap" helmets just all of a sudden fail or offer less protection than an "expensive" helmet? If they are certified, then they meet the same standards, and if they are properly maintained there should be no difference in the protection.

More expensive helmets have more expensive foams that are more comfortable while offering the same protection, as well as design features like special venting and moisture handling (intake).

If I had to take a blow to the head, I wouldn’t be happy, but I wouldn’t be afraid to use a $40 helmet instead of a $120 helmet as long as it was certified.

Getting certified means that it passed the minimum requirements. It would be interesting to see how a upper end model fairs compared to a lower end model. Personally, since broken heads don't heal as easily as broken bones, I feel my son is better protected in a higher end helmet (he currently wears an 8k).

i have no problems with kids on my team having top range gear

but there is one kid in my team who will turn up to training/games with a new stick each time, and they used to be out of his depth as well. no 11 year old kid could possibly need a 110 flex synergy

Getting certified means that it passed the minimum requirements. It would be interesting to see how a upper end model fairs compared to a lower end model. Personally, since broken heads don't heal as easily as broken bones, I feel my son is better protected in a higher end helmet (he currently wears an 8k).

My perception is that the higher-end EPP helmets are lighter, cooler, and more comfortable, but not necessarily more protective. The lower-end helmets could be equally, less, or more protective. Any publicly available test results?

Its because there parents want them to be "protected" the most and they also thing it has added performance extras. I played with a kid like that, his dad owned his own business so he pissed away a bunch of money on nice equipment. His kid could hardly skate.

Good argument...but as you might know, the material inside the helmet, whether VN or EPP, is a personal preference. In the minors and pros...the NBH 4000/4500 and CCM HT and 692 still dominate.

I think they like the fact they are less bulky. Also wearing a Bauer 5500 helmet with no cage makes you look retarted (if u wana think of it that way)

There was a pretty extensive discussion on this a while back. I am sorry I cannot give you the link. The take home message I got was that softer "white" foam padding may actually be better for hockey speed protection especially in the kids ranks. The EPP is much stiffer and gives away on impact. It is far superior in high speed events like bicycle racing. But at lower speed the soft foam is more effective. I think hockeymom actually had a study that she cited a few times. Maybe she'll chime in here. I also remember people pointing out that guys in the NHL with concussion history wear huge buckets with lots of extra white foam. The advantage of the EPP is that it is lighter and much cooler.

Perhaps I am way off base. If so let me know because these are the assumptions I am operating on.

Right, you "feel" he is better protected, but with no data to support your feeling, you're just assuming that paying more means better protection. If I had to guess though, you're paying more for the added little features, and for additional advertising, not for added protection.

Found a bit of data HERE

So Dad, I guess if you REALLY think safety is #1 you should buy your son a lacrosse helmet or a skateboard helmet, not an expensive hockey helemt.

Also, the cheaper helmets have the ear protectors molded in, whereas the higher-end pro-look helmets have removable ear protectors; I would think that the removable ear protectors are not as protective (less crush zone) and weakens the helmet shell's structure.

I notice that the crash-and-bangers in the NHL wear helmets with VN and use lower-end Rbk helmets (fewer vents, stronger shell structure) instead of the Rbk 8K.

Right, you "feel" he is better protected, but with no data to support your feeling, you're just assuming that paying more means better protection. If I had to guess though, you're paying more for the added little features, and for additional advertising, not for added protection.

Found a bit of data HERE

So Dad, I guess if you REALLY think safety is #1 you should buy your son a lacrosse helmet or a skateboard helmet, not an expensive hockey helemt.

so why not make him wear a full face motorcylcle helmet. The article that you posted was interesting. I would like to see something that is current and not over 7 years old (the article is dated January of 2000). There has been some changes in that time.

More on-topic: one of my son's team-mates was showing off his high-end gear, and his dad made him stop. That was a good teaching opportunity and a good lesson well-applied.

Played a little pick-up this morning at the university and though I really don't pay attention to what kids use/wear, after a little scrum/pile-up in front of the net I heard a kid (10-11) crying. Skated in to see what happened and the kid was crying over his OPS being broken. That's just sad.