Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

djinferno

Cost of manufacturing skates

All that site does for me now is make me feel that at the price point you pay today, everyone should have there skates molded in a cast like that...

Now i'm definately not paying 800$ for one90's if it's not done like that

Is there anything you don't cry about? If the retail one90 fits you length and width-wise, post baking it is damn near as good as any custom skate I've had. If you watch the video, NBH isn't just charging out of their asses for the skate. There are some substantial R&D costs incurred when releasing a new product, especially one that requires a proprietary manufacturing process like the one90.

Is there anything you don't cry about? If the retail one90 fits you length and width-wise, post baking it is damn near as good as any custom skate I've had. If you watch the video, NBH isn't just charging out of their asses for the skate. There are some substantial R&D costs incurred when releasing a new product, especially one that requires a proprietary manufacturing process like the one90.

Only thing I "CRY" about is prices, you have a problem with that? it's my opinion so respect it as i respect yours...

I believe that If you want to make money, you go with volume, remove all there low end products and make only the good stuff, put it at a 300 to 400 price point and BAM! everyone is rocking your product, this way paying a player to wear your gear in the NHL would make sense...

Look at basketball, lets take Jordans for example, when you would see Mike on TV, dunking on cats, you would be like wow, I want them shoes... 150$ and you had you a pair! Turns out his series is most sold ever, now you think that his stuff would be as succesfull if you had a watered down version at 150$ and the real thing at 300$ HELLS NO!

Hockey should take this modo, get rid of all this nonsense cheap stuff out there and give us the good stuff at an affordable price, it's either 9K, S15, one90, XXXX etc... People want whats best, what the pros wear, It performs best, it looks best and you actually feel better about yourself...

Same for sticks, gloves, helmets, etc... Stop making it a pay to play thing and make it a this is what you need to perform thing, this is are best product with are best technology so go get it...

My 2 cents, there I'm done venting!

Um...

Hate to burst your bubble, but Jordans are cheaper to make than low-end skates.

Obviously so thats why I say stop making so many, the low end skate and the high end skate cost almost the same to make, same holder, steal, materials, so stop making em and cut the high end down...

Also theres not that many skates to chose from, like 5 or 6, you would recoup your money...

It's like anything else, once you done the developement, making it is not expensive at all, lets not cry for these brands making 700% profit, please...

How does getting rid of all the lower end gear make it cheaper to produce the top end stuff?

OK if a low end skate cost 20$ to make and you sell 100 at 120$ , you made 10000$ profit...

Now if you stop making those low end stuff and the cost of your high end stuff cost you lets say 30$ to make, (And trust me it's not twice as expensive) and you sell 100 at 200$, that 17000$ Profit

At those prices, you dont need to make that low end crap, stores can sel at 350$ to 400$ and on sale for like 250$....

By the way, I'm talking about Canadian figures here...

If your prices are competitively low, theres no need for low end stuff, make everything good quality at a lower price, you really think there a big price difference in making a lower end stick and higher end stick??? Why not stop making the cheap version and selling only the good stuff cheaper...

The key to a market is accessability, price point is if not the most important thing in marketing... If Crosby's skates where 300$ instead of 500$ they would sell more, period!

Hockey is dying because of these brands acting stupid, if my kid wants to wear what his favorite player wears to play in Canada, lets take Datsuk for exemple, 9k Skates and 9kO stick, thats going to cost me 1100$ Canadian...

Now if my kid wants to wear is favorite basketball player wears, Lets take Lebron for exemple (Bigger Icon then Pavel by the way), so shoes, 150$, Jersey, 50$, let me get the kid a nice ball for 50$, hell let me get him a Net for like 250$... And All that Is only 500$

Guess what my kid wants to play?

Um...

Hate to burst your bubble, but Jordans are cheaper to make than low-end skates.

Obviously so thats why I say stop making so many, the low end skate and the high end skate cost almost the same to make, same holder, steal, materials, so stop making em and cut the high end down...

Also theres not that many skates to chose from, like 5 or 6, you would recoup your money...

It's like anything else, once you done the developement, making it is not expensive at all, lets not cry for these brands making 700% profit, please...

You're seriously spewing off and have nothing concrete to fall back on. Nobody is making 700% profit.

That being said, everyone makes their money on the mid to low-end product. High-end costs more to make and costs more to bring into the stores. The margins simply are not there at the high-end price points.

Cost of materials has gone up, and manufacturing processes are different nowadays. Product managers have to account for these things when they make product. They have margins to work with as well so that they can get product to fall in line at the right price points.

It's always easy to assume things when you're on the outside looking in.

What about the kid who doesn't have $300 for skates?

What does he do in your world to start playing hockey?

So you are telling me you can get a pair of skates for less then 300$?

5K's are 400$ where I live budy...

What world do you live in? remember I said Canadian...

All I'm saying is that the Cadilac of skates should cost 400$ max, the most expensive, Bionic anti gravity stick should cost 100$ and I'm streching it...

A parent should be able to fit his kid with the best of best stuff for less then 800$ I'm talking best products out there to protect that little kid that wants to play this sport...

I want them shoes... 150$ and you had you a pair! Turns out his series is most sold ever, now you think that his stuff would be as succesfull if you had a watered down version at 150$ and the real thing at 300$ HELLS NO!

Dont know where you got your information, but his so-called "series" isnt close to being the most sold ever. Even now, Jordan is selling "watered down" shoes that just so happen to sell better than his signature line.

I want them shoes... 150$ and you had you a pair! Turns out his series is most sold ever, now you think that his stuff would be as succesfull if you had a watered down version at 150$ and the real thing at 300$ HELLS NO!

Dont know where you got your information, but his so-called "series" isnt close to being the most sold ever. Even now, Jordan is selling "watered down" shoes that just so happen to sell better than his signature line.

Of course they have those, he does not play anymore...

by the way, best series sold ever at Nike...

Change that name to Lebron, if you want the shoe he had in the final game of the playoffs, it won't cost you a arm and a leg, don't act like you don't understand what I'm saying...

People are trying to nit pic and act like theres no proplem with this, we will se when you get a child, your tune will change, and I'm not talking about guys like JR on the gravy train, mortals that have to go to the store with the kid that wants one90's and the cool stick with holes in it...

All I'm saying is that the Cadilac of skates should cost 400$ max, the most expensive, Bionic anti gravity stick should cost 100$ and I'm streching it...

A parent should be able to fit his kid with the best of best stuff for less then 800$ I'm talking best products out there to protect that little kid that wants to play this sport...

Then in that case, we'll just eliminate top-end, because it's NOT going to happen with the price of materials/manufacturing. No more carbon fibre skates (you do know that we're in a war right now and there's a shortage.)

We would essentially go back to what was being sold in the 80s. Get used to wood sticks again.

People are trying to nit pic and act like theres no proplem with this, we will se when you get a child, your tune will change, and I'm not talking about guys like JR on the gravy train, mortals that have to go to the store with the kid that wants one90's and the cool stick with holes in it...

But by your way of thinking, there won't be ONE90s and 9kOs.

Then in that case, we'll just eliminate top-end, because it's NOT going to happen with the price of materials/manufacturing. No more carbon fibre skates (you do know that we're in a war right now and there's a shortage.)

We would essentially go back to what was being sold in the 80s. Get used to wood sticks again.

Again, I did not say that, I said stop using those great materials on low end stuff and lower the price on the good stuff...

What do you think these low end things are made out of? so you are saying the S11 and S15 do not use the same stuff? I say cut the S11 and lower the S15...

They make allot more low end sticks with that material then high end stuff so your analogy makes no sense man...

By the way, I stop using wood because they, Easton for exemple stop making the blades for the tappered in wood and the ones they still make are lower quality duss forcing people over to carbon... I'd be more then happy to play with wood, not many but some nhl players still use em and they are not exactly weak players...

Again, your reversing what I'm saying, cut the low end out and reduce the hight end stuff so people can wear what my childs idol wears at a better price

But those materials in those good skates is what drives the skates up. There is no way to lower the cost.

Low-end sticks either have a low amount of CF, if none at all. It's mainly fibreglass, which keeps the cost down.

Again, your reversing what I'm saying, cut the low end out and reduce the hight end stuff so people can wear what my childs idol wears at a better price

And that is why they always make a skate that looks like the idol's skate at the low-end price point. Plus, you have to think globally - while you're a gearhead and like the top-end product, it is not truly indicative of the overall market. Not every kid will need a top-end boot.

But those materials in those good skates is what drives the skates up. There is no way to lower the cost.

Wow :blink: , did someone ever tell you how much it cost to make a pair of skates?

They make at the very least 400% profit on them so i don't know where your getting this from... It costs less then 100$ to make a one90 from the Lace to the steel so spare me the theres no way to cut cost, thres always a way or no product in the world would ever go on sale...

A guy at a store I know could give me a 50% discount on a pair of one90's so don't tell me he was giving them to me for less then cost...

If they where that expensive to make, nodody would send you a free pair to try out...

Of course they have those, he does not play anymore...

by the way, best series sold ever at Nike...

Change that name to Lebron, if you want the shoe he had in the final game of the playoffs, it won't cost you a arm and a leg, don't act like you don't understand what I'm saying...

They (Jordan) do retro the shoes that Michael played in, and they still arent selling close to the amount that his other shoes are.

Best series ever sold at Nike? Again you have been wrongly informed. The Jordan signature line isnt even close to Nike's top selling list.

Change the name to Lebron, and you're still paying $149.99 for the shoes he wore in the playoffs. Nike actually did do that, and the price is no different from the general release colorways that the same shoes come/came in.

If they where that expensive to make, nodody would send you a free pair to try out...

Yeah, unless they were trying to get user feedback on the skate or something stupid like that. :blink:

Just tell your child, daddy cannot afford for his little boy to wear what Lebron wears. Or get a better job.

Wow real mature buddy, I'm educated and have a good job, I've put myself in a position to make more then 80% of the population, so daddy can afford more then most....

I'm not talking for myself, I'm talking about the health of hockey, I care that more kids are turning to other sports in the land of hockey, i care about the parents of the kids I coach that crumble under the high cost of the sport. Ask any NHL player how much sacrifice his familly had to make to get them the "Good" stuff to help them perform In a sport that gets faster, with injuries rising, the desision about what to buy is easy, I want the best for my child, the best helmet to protect his head, the best gloves to protect his hands, the best skates to better support his feet...

It's not about being a gear head, it's about giving yourself the best opportunity to compete, do i think my child would perform better with better tools, I think so...

But hell what do I know, I better not hear people cry wen the game goes south..

Yeah, unless they were trying to get user feedback on the skate or something stupid like that. :rolleyes:

The marketing value they get from us talking about a product far exceeds the cost of the product.

Let me guess, SyNergys cost $8 to make, too?

Yes, he was giving it to you for less than dealer cost.

Did I ever say that? I estimate from the info I was told that they cost 50-100$ to make if that, lets remember that they make things in bulk...

Dealer cost, who said anything about dealer? I'm talking about the manufacturing...

Yeah, unless they were trying to get user feedback on the skate or something stupid like that. :rolleyes:

So your saying that they did not already have that from guys like Danny Heatley? :unsure: