Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vapor

2008 NYR Thread

But thats the sign of a true champ, play like crap and still win.

umm... i'm gonna go ahead and say your wrong...

Thats the sign of an early exit.

umm...I'm gonna go ahead and say your wrong...

thats the dumbest statement I've ever heard...umm...yeah

I have heard rumors that Shanahan may not want to resign with the Rangers. Does anyone think this. I don't see why he wouldn't want to resign...He is playing decent. I think he doesn't like that he is not the top star (other than Jagr, even though this could turn in to another argument)being overshadowed by the likes of Gomez, Drury, Lundqvist, and I guess at this time in the season you might eve say possibly Avery....The fans love him know and chant SIGN AVERY(or atleast that is what i have heard.)What does everyone else think!

Avery won't talk to the media. Hasn't talked to them since after the loss to LA weeks ago. Now he and his agent have decided to break off contract talks with the team and will possibly test the market in the off season.

Yup, cancer has entered the locker room. Glad he's playing well though.

? Your cancer is on the same line as Jagr. How is that working out?

BTW, where did I apologize for Jagr?

It's working out for Avery, not so much for Jagr, IMHO. Jags is making way too much money and the C on his chest is way too big for him to be underperforming the way he has been ALL SEASON LONG. No PP goals in how many games, over 20? That's F-ing ridiculous.

Avery is cancer waiting to happen. He's kinda like "always in remission". As much as I love the guy, and think he deserves the playing time and a raise, I know history speaks for itself and he can revert to his old antics at any time. I also think Avery is playing this way because he's 1) trying to play for a raise and 2) he's trying to stick it to Slats who has now forced him to test the market two years in a row after playing very well.

And I call you and Theo apologists because you make excuses for him, never make him seem responsible for his short-comings as a leader and our supposed top point scorer, and always question my opinion when he makes left-handed remarks in the media by telling me I'm misunderstanding his sense of humor. Making excuses for is the same as apologizing.

Avery should play for a raise. Every player should play for a raise. If they want more money they should have the results to prove they deserve a raise. The same as any other working stiff.

I never respond to anything Jagr says to the media. I could care less. Athletes are entertainers. I stopped taking athletes and entertainers seriously a long time ago.

I'm incredibly disappointed in Jagr, both as a leader, and as a player this year. It is a slap in the face to Shanny that the #68 jersey has the C on the front. There are at least 4 other players on that team that should wear the C before Jags (Shanahan, Gomez, Drury, Straka and maybe even Dubinsky or Staal in the future) . Add to that his INCREDIBLY lackluster play this year, and the way the fans are down on him, and you can kiss J.J. goodbye after this season. Good Riddance.

It's pretty funny actually...If you had told me at the start of this season that I would want Jagr gone, I wouldn't have believed you. He had two great years before this one, and I was happy to see him play the way he was playing. Then this year he turns to shit. I don't get it. There is no excuse for the drop-off in his play, and I think the Rangers, as an organization, really dropped the ball when the handed the C to Jagr. At best, if not give it to 14, then do what the Wild was doing for a while, rotate the C every month.

As for Avery, maybe he DOES use this as a springboard to get more moolah from another team. I hope he doesn't. I really enjoy watching him play, especially for the Blueshirts. If he does go, I won't hate him for doing so. We all want to make as much dough as we can, he is no different. He is a great personality to have on a team.

96, out of curiosity, why do you consistently refer to him as a cancer? Is it because he calls out his teammates on their play, or lack of it? Is it because he will do whatever it takes to win, be it scoring goals, or playing with sandpaper? I don't share your view, but that doesn't mean you aren't privileged to it.

I'm incredibly disappointed in Jagr, both as a leader, and as a player this year. It is a slap in the face to Shanny that the #68 jersey has the C on the front. There are at least 4 other players on that team that should wear the C before Jags (Shanahan, Gomez, Drury, Straka and maybe even Dubinsky or Staal in the future) . Add to that his INCREDIBLY lackluster play this year, and the way the fans are down on him, and you can kiss J.J. goodbye after this season. Good Riddance.

It's pretty funny actually...If you had told me at the start of this season that I would want Jagr gone, I wouldn't have believed you. He had two great years before this one, and I was happy to see him play the way he was playing. Then this year he turns to shit. I don't get it. There is no excuse for the drop-off in his play, and I think the Rangers, as an organization, really dropped the ball when the handed the C to Jagr. At best, if not give it to 14, then do what the Wild was doing for a while, rotate the C every month.

As for Avery, maybe he DOES use this as a springboard to get more moolah from another team. I hope he doesn't. I really enjoy watching him play, especially for the Blueshirts. If he does go, I won't hate him for doing so. We all want to make as much dough as we can, he is no different. He is a great personality to have on a team.

96, out of curiosity, why do you consistently refer to him as a cancer? Is it because he calls out his teammates on their play, or lack of it? Is it because he will do whatever it takes to win, be it scoring goals, or playing with sandpaper? I don't share your view, but that doesn't mean you aren't privileged to it.

Thumbs up to your post, Whiskey. I'm in total agreement and I've been saying that for at least a season and a half. But congratulations - you've just incurred the ire of DS, Theo and the occasional Mack comment by doing so. But hey, solidarity brother - at least there's two of us now.

I refer to Avery as a cancer because of his past. Not necessarily with the Rangers, to all our delight, but with Red Wings and Kings. He's known as a pest on the ice and in his own locker room. He agitates players on his team and can get under everyone's skin. I saw a Shanny interview one time that put it best, "It's a good thing we have other teams to play because Aves can be tough to deal with. If he doesn't have other teams and their guys to go after, he starts rubbing his own guys the wrong way." And he kinda had a smile on his face and was laughing, but you know he meant. It's just the way Aves is. Love him or hate him. In the past he would take stupid penalties at bad times and only think about himself when doing so, which put off his teammates, but he's kept that under control with us, so far. I don't mean to say that Aves is actively a cancer now, but you always have to respect the fact that he can go back to that, because that's how he is. We all know he looks up to Shanny and he keeps him in line, but if Shanny leaves or something, then I might get worried. God knows Jags isn't half the leader he would need to be to keep Aves under wraps.

theo has been banned from MSH. Leave him out as he no longer has privileges to post on MSH. As for WT19, I work with him! Or should I say he works with me. No ire there.

Avery, Jagr, Gomez, Drury, and the rest. Pick your most disappointing regular season Ranger. It won't matter a bit because once the playoffs start the Rangers are going only as far as one player can carry them: Henrik Lundqvist.

theo has been banned from MSH. Leave him out as he no longer has privileges to post on MSH. As for WT19, I work with him! Or should I say he works with me. No ire there.

Avery, Jagr, Gomez, Drury, and the rest. Pick your most disappointing regular season Ranger. It won't matter a bit because once the playoffs start the Rangers are going only as far as one player can carry them: Henrik Lundqvist.

Why has been banned(just out of curiousity)

Without the extra games and compressed schedule for the Olympics, maybe he can hold up long enough for a run this year.

The focus that is placed on Jagr's performance this season is rediculous. As mentioned above, he is definitely not the only Ranger having a personal lacklustre year. Prior to the start of the season it was thought that the Rangers were going to be a scoring powerhouse with the overall offensive talent that had been put together with the new signings of Drury and Gomez. This hasn't happened. Drury has been disappointing and so has Gomez. The whole team offensively has been so far from what was expected it is rediculous.

However, I think a lot more focus needs to be placed on the way that NY, especially lately, has been grinding their wins out and seem to be playing with a lot more heart and desire in their game. Much of the credit goes to Lundqvist.

Just because they aren't winning the way we expected them to win doesn't mean they are playing badly. They are winning, that's the main thing. The second half of this season is VERY closely resembling that of last year, so anything can happen. In my opinion, they were 7.7 seconds short of a possible cup appearance. However this year they've added proven playoff players who can get the job done under pressure. Jagr, Shanny, and Straka will collectively lead the team deep into the playoffs, you just watch.

Gomez went down injured last night and did not return..DOes anyone know what happened?

I am not worried about Drury...He is a playoff guy

Gomez went down injured last night and did not return..DOes anyone know what happened?

(from TSN's game re-cap)

New York played most of the game without leading scorer Scott Gomez (67 points). Gomez fell early in the first period, crashed into the boards behind the net shoulder-first, and didn't return. Gomez said he fell when his skate picked the ice on a shot.

"My ankle hurt a little bit so they're concerned about that," Gomez said.

Gomez has two broken ribs. That is not good.

As far as Shanahan and Jagr, I don't hate jagr, he's been great for two seasons and carried this team but age has caught up, he is clearly not the same player and unless he agrees to take a huge, huge pay cut he won't be on the Rangers or maybe any NHL team next year. He said he wants to play for his home town team in the Czech republic so he'll probably go there.

Shanahan might also retire. The Rangers will probably ask him to take a paycut, and if he doesn't take it, he'll probably retire. The Rangers need to fase their young guys in.

In a the offseason, maybe steal Hossa from the Pens and get a number 1 D-man like Campbell. Then bring in Anisimov and Cheraponov (remember this kid was a top5 draft pick, that ONLY fell to the Rangers because people were scared that he might not be able to get to the US from Russia, but I'm not too worried about that.

I think the Rangers would be much better next year without Jagr and Shanny and Hossa and Cheraponov and #1 D-man taking their place.

The focus that is placed on Jagr's performance this season is rediculous. As mentioned above, he is definitely not the only Ranger having a personal lacklustre year. Prior to the start of the season it was thought that the Rangers were going to be a scoring powerhouse with the overall offensive talent that had been put together with the new signings of Drury and Gomez. This hasn't happened. Drury has been disappointing and so has Gomez. The whole team offensively has been so far from what was expected it is rediculous.

However, I think a lot more focus needs to be placed on the way that NY, especially lately, has been grinding their wins out and seem to be playing with a lot more heart and desire in their game. Much of the credit goes to Lundqvist.

Just because they aren't winning the way we expected them to win doesn't mean they are playing badly. They are winning, that's the main thing. The second half of this season is VERY closely resembling that of last year, so anything can happen. In my opinion, they were 7.7 seconds short of a possible cup appearance. However this year they've added proven playoff players who can get the job done under pressure. Jagr, Shanny, and Straka will collectively lead the team deep into the playoffs, you just watch.

Umm, huh? I'm not exactly sure I get your post. Jagr has been the most underperforming player on the Rangers. Lundqvist had his low points, but has picked it up. I'm not displeased with Gomer or Drury whatsoever. They are basically career 60-70pt guys playing exactly like career 60-70pt guys. It's not their fault we overpaid for thier services. Jagr is the one with 100+ point seasons, and many 30+ goal seasons, Harts, Art Ross', etc. He's the one not meeting his potential.

Thanks for your comment though...and another Jagr Apologist is born.

Jagr is also, what, 36, 37? The majority of players, elite or not drops off or begins to at that age.

With all the young guys coming up, I don't think Jagr is much how would i put this competetive. In jr, the players it is just basic up and down hockey. Jagr likes to be everywhere, dangle, and now he doen't have the power to get around everybody like he used to

Gomez has two broken ribs. That is not good.

from the NY Times

The Rangers said Saturday that center Scott Gomez was not seriously injured Friday night after slamming into the boards in a game against the Philadelphia Flyers. The team said Gomez’s unspecified upper-body injury turned out to include no broken ribs and should not keep him out for an extended period. He is listed as day to day and could even play in Tuesday’s rematch with the Flyers at Madison Square Garden. Gomez leads the Rangers in points with 67 and assists with 51.

Sooo... anyone else pissed that the rangers lost these last 2 to the flyers? In OT??? Even more surprised that Jagr had 2 goals.

They're not letting Homo Larry dance anymore! As somone who sits right near him, his act was something I started looking forward to. He's goofy, and it's funny to watch. But now the gays are saying that because people chant HOMO LARRY, it's creating a hostile environment for them.

This is retarded. What, are they gonna try and stop the Beat Your Wife Potvin chant because it's offensive to women now too? Larry's my "friend" on myspace and he's pretty upset about it. He thinks he's helping the fans by giving them something to cheer about. It's not his fault some of the people start chanting Homo Larry when he's done. And he's not gay by the way.

Here's the NY Time article about it.:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/21/sports/h...amp;oref=slogin

Suffering succotash!! This is ridiculous! But Madison Square Garden on the inside is not always like NYC is on the street side, where pretty much anything goes. Avery and Malik are costing the Rangers huge points even as the evil Jagr tries his damndest and we have to worry about offending gay Ranger fans. I find this offensive. "Douglas Wambaugh for the lilliputians!"