Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest 2048

MP3 players

to some people, size matters. Plus most people have under 1000 songs, so the 15-20 gb is not needed

I've held em both side by side and truthfully, the size isn't a huge difference. If you're saying that the new iPods are big, you're out of your mind. However, I'll agree that most people don't need more than 1000 songs, but if I'm paying top dollar for an MP3 player, I'd just assume I'd rather spend the extra $50 and get one that can hold four times as much, just in case. But, you can be like my mom, buy a 15 gig iPod, and have less than 100 songs on it.

i've had an iriver mp3cd player for almost a yr now and it's great! also i've been working at an electronics retailer for around that time and got to play around with the ipod and the iriver 120.. i think i prefer the iriver.. feels more solid, the remote is far superior with a display instead of just a few buttons.. so u can actually leave the iriver in ur pocket or bag..

My only real knock is the battery and until something comparable comes out that I like I'll use them. It's survived endless snowboarding and skateboarding and held up like a champ. The Dell seems all right though, but clunky and big compared to an Ipod but its battery life beats the hell out of the Ipod. Easy grouping as well.

...which boast 12 hour batteries...

I don't know how iPod's batteries work exactly, if they're rechargeable or what, but 12 hours is nothing. My iRiver gets around 30 hours on one AA battery.

iPods have rechargeable. I'd take those over AA/AAA batteries any day. I just charge my iPod when I'm not using it and I've never had a problem. Plus I have a car adapter.

they are poly ion rechargale batteries. Your iriver also holds, what, 12 songs? The thing with memory card based players is that they hold nothing, I want my WHOLE collection, but not all people do, but thats one appeal of the ipod. Also, mp3 cds, are well, I dont like them. Your fumbling aroudn with hundreds of cds, you dont know whats on what, and you have to scan 1 by 1 to see what the song is, and you scratch them, and a hardrive based played is much simpler, esspecialy withb the apple fireware

I'm with Kosy, it sits in the dock if I'm at home and then I have it rigged to my car. I personally would go with a AA approach because I can get 40 hours on a single AA in my MD player.

Edit--As for the fumbling problem, I have a problem finding a specific list or song on 35+ gigs of music, so I can't say that problem's non-existant.

but not in an ipod :) plus batteries are more costs! Charging is (to a point) free. Plus batteries would make it much more bulky, the current battery in the ipod is as thin as a creditcard, actualy a little bit thinner

you mean the new click wheel? its like the current scrollwhell, but with 4 buttons, push down when you want to do something. Its like the current ipod, turn on the hold button

they are poly ion rechargale batteries. Your iriver also holds, what, 12 songs? The thing with memory card based players is that they hold nothing, I want my WHOLE collection, but not all people do, but thats one appeal of the ipod. Also, mp3 cds, are well, I dont like them. Your fumbling aroudn with hundreds of cds, you dont know whats on what, and you have to scan 1 by 1 to see what the song is, and you scratch them, and a hardrive based played is much simpler, esspecialy withb the apple fireware

My iRiver holds about 40 songs actually, and I don't even listen to them all. It's easy enough to change songs on it, so I just put songs on there that I know I will listen to. If I had an iPod, it would be a complete waste of money because I'd only listen to 25 of the songs on it. All of my friends who have them also only have around 30 songs on there, because that's all most people around here need/want. And the ones who want more, use a CD or MD player. Simple enough.

well, round hurr, we put all our songs on our ipods, and if we have the urge for some deaf lepards pour some sugar on me, we shall lsiten to it. I have 4000 songs, so I like having the ipod. Soon I will need a 40 gig ipod. But 40 songs, for me, just isnt enough

Charging may be somewhat free, but it's a pain in the ass having it go 3 hours just so you can get ~8 hours out of it. I could deal with a little bit of bulk if it meant I could actually make it thru a flight back to AK without haggling around for an outlet.

true, thats why I would rather have user replacable batteries, but its tough to impliment. I own 3 powerbook batteries... so I never run out... so I can do whatever I want... watch dvds, listen to music, and not be scared of running out of a charge.

you mean the new click wheel? its like the current scrollwhell, but with 4 buttons, push down when you want to do something. Its like the current ipod, turn on the hold button

No, on the 3rd Gen, when you spin your finger around the wheel or push a button it makes the "click" noise. Is there a little speaker in the iPod for that or what?

You can turn the clicking off, its under settings. It is not a sterio speaker, its like the speaker in your computer when it beeps, or kinda like your modem. Its a mono speaker which cant really broadcast much. I always thought that the ipod should come with a sterio internal speaker, but that would drain battery life and add bulk I suppose, but I think it would be a good addition without having to buy a third party device