Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest 2048

MP3 players

Guest 2048

Trying to decide between the iRiver and iPod and I'm wondering if anyone here has used either or both. Thanks for any help in advance.

Never used an iRiver, don't even know what the hell it is to be quite honest. I've had two iPods, the first generation one and then the second model. I can't stop saying enough good things about them. If price isn't an issue, go for an iPod, you won't regret it.

Plus the new batch of Ipods are ~25% off now and have a better battery (albeit still a weak point) going for it.

Yeah but didn't they end up sending you a refurbished one? Mine held up till the newer ones so I lucked out. Hopefully this one will hold up to the next gen.

Well, my first gen. broke and they couldn't fix it so I just got a new one off the shelf (I had a 10 gig and they actually gave me a 15). I remember reading some article about their crappy batteries, so I asked the guy who gave me the new one if they fixed the problem and he said he didn't know but that it was covered by the warranty plan. I've had this current one since September and I've had no problems with it whatsoever.

Guest 2048

Price isn't really an issue because I'm getting a student discount on the iPod and the iRiver is the same price online. The only diff is that the iRiver is a bit thicker looks like something darth vader would use and has an FM tuner. Still waiting to see if anyone's actually used an iRiver though.

Edit- also, the iRiver has a 16hr battery. Probably more like 12 or 13 at most, but still better than the iPod one from what I understand.

Supposedly the brand new Ipods will have 12hrs now and they're even thinner. I've had mine since January with no problems at all. Thank god for the Ipod Armor.

The problem with the ipod batteries (and still is afaik) is that the batter is covered under warranty, but the labor cost isn't, which ends up costing more than the battery... What irks me is, it's a simple enough problem to fix.

I love my iRiver. It's a smaller one, but I'm sure the bigger ones are just as good, if not better. I'd go with the iRiver, but the way it looks here, more suggestions are going to the iPod. I just don't like the battery issue with the iPods.

Definitely. I have a PC and use iTunes. Before iTunes came out for PC, it sucked having an iPod because they made you use MusicMatch, and frankly MM sucks. ITunes is very very easy to use.

Being the apple coolaid drinker (or should i say apple juice drinker... haha... eh) I say go for the ipod. The fourth generation was released on monday, 20gb and 40gb models, which boast 12 hour batteries (they claim at least). I have already put in my order. They are the simplest to use, and with the new click wheel, you should defiantley check them out (I am looking to sell my 3 generation one, the one with 4 buttons on the top, 15 gb, used it for one year, I will sell it to you for 250 shipped, if you would like, pm me). They own 50% of the industry for a reason.

I'm not so sure the new click wheel is an improvement over what they have now. I haven't used it yet, but by just looking at pictures of it, it seems that it'd make it harder to use.

Guest 2048
Being the apple coolaid drinker (or should i say apple juice drinker... haha... eh) I say go for the ipod. The fourth generation was released on monday, 20gb and 40gb models, which boast 12 hour batteries (they claim at least). I have already put in my order. They are the simplest to use, and with the new click wheel, you should defiantley check them out (I am looking to sell my 3 generation one, the one with 4 buttons on the top, 15 gb, used it for one year, I will sell it to you for 250 shipped, if you would like, pm me). They own 50% of the industry for a reason.

Thanks, but they're both 270..gotta love the internet and student discounts.

I have my iPod 3rd gen with iSkin on it, no problems, i dont like the 4th gen. click wheel, that's all, but the battery life is far better.

How can you not like the 4th gen, they are thinner, have longer battery life, and have the awsome clickwheel, not to mention an updated firemwear. Superior in my opinion.

its much better... you scroll with the wheel, just like the old one, and its actualy smoother, the buttons are set up like a compus, when you want to go foward back, stop, foward, you just press down on that section, saves space, and simplifies things, can do things quicker.

From just seeing pictures of it, it'd seem like if you were trying to turn up the volume or scroll down a playlist, you'd hit the play/pause button or whatever.

no, you have to click down to do it, you scroll like on the other ipods, but press, some good pressure, and you will select what you want. It is very simple, may seem like you will be pressing when you dont mean to... but I havent done it on my mini yet, the same mini i dont use, but youve gotta support apple, right?

Buying a Mini goes far beyond supporting Apple. Those things are retarded. They're expensive, small, have very little space, and are ugly.

no, they are very cool. They are novelty, but 1000 songs is good for some people, they are VERY small, which is very attractive, they are PRETTY, and they are light. I like them, but I didnt buy mine.

I just don't think they are a reasonable product. They're not much less than a 15 gig and they hold 1/4 as many songs. The size isn't an issue with me, the new gen. are already small enough for my likings.