Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ExitTwoEighty

Ref almost broke my neck

Sidenote: Anyone fighting in anything other than Major Juniors or some form of the pros is just wasting energy.

Not when you're standing up for your teammates that are taking cheap shot after cheap shot in which the same refs aren't calling. There is only so much you can take. It wasn't like an all out UFC event out there every game. I mean have you watched any high level Midget Major/AAA games? Tempers flare, fights can and do happen...not saying its right and not saying its necessary, but they do happen.

Also, on a side note, something I've wondered. If we're not "allowed" to fight until we get to juniors, how is one supposed to know what to do to not absolutely get killed by a guy that picks a fight with you having played X amount of years and has experience fighting? Somewhere there has to be a line where at the Midget level you're going to have fights and the experience could one day save your ass in a fight. Just my $.02 though, and you'll come back with some smart ass comment because everyone knows on here that you're always "right".

...Ready for the comeback to start in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Last year after we won our high school championship a teammate of mine had taken his gloves and helmet off in celebration because we had just won a gruling series 4-2 in a hard fought game. As he took his helmet and gloves off he got jumped by a player and then their goalie skated down and started fighting him too. So it was 2 on 1 and who do you think the ref decides he needs to take under control? My teammate. So my friend gets drilled in his face with the goalies blocker and the other kid suckers him in the face. Needless to say he was bleeding all over until a few other team mates got to his recue. Ref appologized after the game and did not give him any sort of penalty even though he get a bunch of good shots in before he was detained. I think there should be minimally two refs to break a fight up so they can evenly get in between the two.

Sidenote: Anyone fighting in anything other than Major Juniors or some form of the pros is just wasting energy.

Also, on a side note, something I've wondered. If we're not "allowed" to fight until we get to juniors, how is one supposed to know what to do to not absolutely get killed by a guy that picks a fight with you having played X amount of years and has experience fighting? Somewhere there has to be a line where at the Midget level you're going to have fights and the experience could one day save your ass in a fight. Just my $.02 though, and you'll come back with some smart ass comment because everyone knows on here that you're always "right".

a ref put me in a choke hold once,, and I was the one getting hit.. some douche-bag hacked at my face (thank god I wear a cage) and then stepped up to me so I clocked him one good (w/ a gloved fist mind you) and he loses it and starts hitting me and I'm just trying to fend him off because its adult league and fighting just results in suspension and fines.. regardless this guy has his gloves off (i'm still gloved and holding my stick) yet the first ref in comes from behind me and gets me in a would-be rear naked choke.. the outcome was we both got roughing penalties and the other guy got some sore knuckles from beating on my cage bare-handed.

Not when you're standing up for your teammates that are taking cheap shot after cheap shot in which the same refs aren't calling. There is only so much you can take. It wasn't like an all out UFC event out there every game. I mean have you watched any high level Midget Major/AAA games? Tempers flare, fights can and do happen...not saying its right and not saying its necessary, but they do happen.

See bolded text. Next time you want to gripe about my posts you probably shouldn't agree with them.

I just wanted to give an update on the situation.

Basically no apology or anything, they just had our team play on another rink instead of the one we usually play on to separate the ref and I.

I've been playing here for years and I've spent thousands on league fees and gear, and I couldn't even get an apology.

Basically no apology or anything, they just had our team play on another rink instead of the one we usually play on to separate the ref and I.

I've been playing here for years and I've spent thousands on league fees and gear, and I couldn't even get an apology.

Sore way of looking at it, but it's better than nothing. Barely.

I hate how refs think they're off limits. If I saw a ref twisting my teammate's neck like that, I'd step up.

yeah, then get kicked out of the league and blackballed at any of the other local ones.

I wouldn't think you would get an apology as it could be viewed as an admission of guilt.

As to suing yo can always sue proving it in court is somthing else. And as you have already stated you could not confirm that the actions of the ref are what caused your injury as the player was still punching you in the head.

Well fellas, heres something that might take some salt out of the wound. I'm a level 3 in the HCOP and I was lining a Midget game and went to break up an altercation..well I was young, and new, and wasn't to swift in the manners of breaking up fights. I got socked in the face as my partner didn't take the guy opposite the guy I had. So sometimes we make mistakes. I guess the punch i got to the face and chipped tooth is colatteral for all you guys not getting dealt with right in the good old USA Hockey?

Has your neck improved at all, or is there still a stinging/burning sensation when your turn your head from side to side or front to back?

i'm thinking the ref didn't mean to do it...as a referee, it's our job to try to break up the altercation so no one gets an advantage...he was probab;y trying to pull you out of harms way, but accidentally did bad rather than good...

as for an apology, i didnt think you'd get one because then the ref admits he made a mistake, and we're taught never to look like you made a mistake, just be professional and follow thru with what you originally call/do..

not trying to sound like a prick, just explaining the ref's view...good luck with your injury

A guy on my team had a prolem with the way the refs chose to break up a fight as well. he and another guy we about to go at it, but after both had taken the helmet and gloves off, and went for each other, a ref and a linesman had grabbed both of the guys arms, leading to a swift uppercut to my teammate, who lost half a tooth in the process, and considering the position he was in, it could have been far worse.

There really should be regulations on how such incidents are handled. You can understand a ref going for the guy on top, but grabbing the face cage is moronic.

If the on-ice officials handled one player each, simultaneously, by encircling the upper arms, that's the procedure that we use. However, sometimes the on-ice officials can still be overpowered.

I was the player on Nick23's team and both referees went for me, holding one arm each. We both got 2+2 for roughing. Needless to say next shift out I tuned him....