Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MissConduct

Leafs make unconventional play for phenom Tavares

I thought you were not eligible for the AHL if you had Jr. eligibility to use.

Why Price coudln't play for the Dogs last year, until his WHL team was out of the playoffs...and why David can't play in Peoria this year?

BUt that's only because of a clause in the CBA. If no one owns his NHL rights, there's no clause there prohibiting him from playing in the AHL while he has junior eligibility.

I think its badass. Its just like the team (Florida I think?) who tried to draft Ovechkin a year early with their last pick and argued about leap years. If it works you're a genius and if it fails there is no loss. Granted, this is JFJ trying desperately to hang on to his job. Still, I see nothing wrong with trying.

How this player generates this much trouble is beside me, I could understand for Crosby or Ovechkin but this guy was not even the best player at the super series, why go to this lenght and spend all this money to get him...

Message to Tavares, stop being a big baby and get inline, many others have come before you and many others will come after you, just wait your turn and work on your skating...

Honestly this kids ego would make me pass on him as first overall...

I think it's dirty and sneaky as hell. Very similar to what NJ did with Malakhov and Mogilny. Similar with what FLA tried to do (as Kosy mentioned). I doubt it will work, but it is interesting.

I thought you were not eligible for the AHL if you had Jr. eligibility to use.

Why Price coudln't play for the Dogs last year, until his WHL team was out of the playoffs...and why David can't play in Peoria this year?

BUt that's only because of a clause in the CBA. If no one owns his NHL rights, there's no clause there prohibiting him from playing in the AHL while he has junior eligibility.

Exactly - he wouldn't be the property of an NHL team.

Gotta realize that his handlers are most likely behind this...they're not making the money until he signs, so obviously they would push to get that done ASAP. We sit there and judge the player and automatically think it's all his doing, but in a lot of cases (and I am hearing from a source that this is the case) it is the others pushing it.

Why does toronto want to sign him to the AHL though? He wouldn't be able to play in the NHL right? When can he? does whatever contract he signs have to expire and he becomes a FA, or does he have to be drafted eventually? or what?

I guess what is Toronto's motivation other then just bringing a high profile player into their AHL team?

Did you read the article?

It actually doesn't mean shit for the Leafs.

It would be a 1 year deal that would allow Tavares to play near home and at a higher level than junior... if he wanted to play for the Leafs he could just refuse to sign with his draft team and wait until 2011 and sign with the leafs when his rights expire and he's a free agent.

This really means nothing because:

1) The AHL board would have to pass an amendment allowing him in.

2) It would be a one year deal with no REAL obligation to the Leafs.

The concept is he'd play with the Marlies for 3 years. The first being his year to the draft. Then after he's drafted, play 2 more seasons with the Marlies. In this time, he does not sign with his NHL drafted team, or forces a trade with Toronto as a "repayment" for allowing him to play in the AHL early. This means he doesn't sign the rookie contract as well, so his first NHL contract can be higher than the ones AO and Crosby signed.

I do think the AHL has an age limit though

The concept is he'd play with the Marlies for 3 years. The first being his year to the draft. Then after he's drafted, play 2 more seasons with the Marlies. In this time, he does not sign with his NHL drafted team, or forces a trade with Toronto as a "repayment" for allowing him to play in the AHL early. This means he doesn't sign the rookie contract as well, so his first NHL contract can be higher than the ones AO and Crosby signed.

I do think the AHL has an age limit though

Exactly.

I believe that article was amended... because I re-read it and it's got some more info and some things are changed... it mentioned the three-year ealier but now it mentions one year.

Either way, it doesn't matter.

They shoudn't worry about Tavares...They should find a way to keep Tlusty in the lineup.

He's got 2G in tonights game (even though 1 is in off his ass).

He's looked good all game.

How this player generates this much trouble is beside me, I could understand for Crosby or Ovechkin but this guy was not even the best player at the super series, why go to this lenght and spend all this money to get him...

Message to Tavares, stop being a big baby and get inline, many others have come before you and many others will come after you, just wait your turn and work on your skating...

Honestly this kids ego would make me pass on him as first overall...

We often have ice before/after the Generals practise....Tavares has been super with the kids. He'll come in the room, sit on the bench pretending he's trying to get into our scrimmages-completly unspoiled by his accomplishments. This is not done for the press, he actually is a very nice person-no ego. Ask anyone in the Oshawa/Whitby area, the kids all love him here. Not sure what you heard/read to formulate that opinion but I assure you Tavares is a 'good guy'....has been from the moment he arrived. We have had numerous encounters with John in the past few years-all positive. He has that love of the game also, I remember him and other Generals crowding behind our bench cheering the boys on in a tight(9 year old) playoff game....stuff you can't fake.

His agent makes a lot of noise in local paper about an exemption since he misses the NHL draft eligibility by 5 days....hate to lose him but hope he gets it. He did start JR a year early....

All the first hand stuff I've heard about him says he's a classy kid with a genuine love for the game.

All the second hand, media stuff I've heard about him paints him as a snotty brat.

There's a loss in translation somewhere and I believe it lies firmly in the area of "his handlers"...

This is another way the MSLE has figured out to charge more for tickets. Nothing to help the Leafs. He plays in Toronto means that Marlies games will be sold out... Toronto has a hard time selling tickets to Marlies games (last year they were the most expensive in the AHL). In Toronto MSLE only cares about making money, they make condos, have a MLS soccer team and stadium, run a couple rinks, own the Raptors and Marlies. The Leafs, Raptors (mostly) and the FC all sell out. Now they are trying to max their profits on the Marlies, while trying to make it sound like they are benefit the Leafs.

thats ridiculous, the leafs could get nothing out of this, if the team that drafts him doesn't want to trade his rights

Yes they could.

They pay him X (a lot) amount of dollars to play on the Marlies for 3 years. Once he is drafted by whoever he just doesn't show up...two years after that he is a free agent and can sign wherever he wants (i.e Toronto). He would make a lot more money, he would have 3 years experience in pro hockey, and he would be a a hockey god in the biggest hockey market in the world.

The question I have is, would he still be subject to the rookie contract limitations once he came out of the AHL and signed? I don't think so because unless I'm mistaken if you sign a 'rookie' from say the Russian League, they are not bound by the entry level contract (I think).

I don't think it's going to happen, but as a Leaf fan I sure like the effort at least. Because of the cap we've lost our biggest competitive advantage, and any plan they come up with to gain some of that back (this, spend more on scouting, coaching, other non-cap expenditures) I think is great.

someone reminded me that ovechkin missed the cutoff by 2 days... some team tried to draft him in a late round in 03 citing the fact that there were 4 leap years, and that hemet the criteria from a days stand point. obviously that didnt work out so well.