Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grave77Digger

How stupid is Chris Simon?

So he uses his culture as an excuse for his behaviour....so everyone starts throwing potshots at Native Americans as a whole?

You must have a hard time separating the individual from the culture.

Not to defend the ethnic jokes but,Simon being unable to stop using his ethnicity as a crutch is probably as bad, if not worse.

You're right, it is just as bad.

Mack and 96,

You both need to shut it with the 'jokes' about First Nations issues. I've taught in a First Nations community for a long time now. None of what you've joked about is funny. If you've seen the effects of alcoholism, fetal alcohol syndrome, violent abuse, and poverty on native youth and adults, there's no funny side. Be appreciative of the opportunities and priviledges you enjoy. If you're ever on Vancouver Island, I'd be happy to show you what you're missing, and I guarantee you'll never joke about it again.

I've lived in Alaska a large portion of my life and see the culture first-hand every day. I guaranfuckingtee you that the Natives here have gotten it worse than most places in NA. Do all succumb to this genetic predilection of being damaged people? No, but just as rare are the ones that don't use it as an excuse for sympathy or for their own need of an excuse. Plus I'm Irish, does this mean if I went and got my own drinking problem I'd have an excuse to justify whatever I did with it? Simon's a piece of crap no matter what race he is, but he seems to like hiding behind it like a manly man.

"His father, John, is of Ojibwa decendence while his mother, Linda is Canadian. As a teenager he struggled with an addiction to alcohol but was helped to sobriety by his and the New York Islanders new coach, Ted Nolan, in 1992" - wikipedia

No worries, I just don't want to be called out as someone who has never seen a Native North American and would be like "zomg where are their bows and arrows?" I have no problem with anyone's background until it becomes an excuse or a shield.

This stuff reminds me of a funny Dave Attell joke I saw on tv. He says he was dating a Native American who didn't like a particular joke he was telling. She kept asking him to stop, so he would promise her he'd stop, but then he'd say it again and again. Finally, she had enough and he says to her, "Look, you above all people should know PROMISES MEAN NOTHING."

Sorry, it just seemed to fit in here. Look, the jokes were not right. And I do feel for their plight, but as Mack said, when you hide behind it and use it as excuse rather than an explantion or reason, you open yourself up for criticism. He's of Native desenct, and has a drinking problem. He fits the stereotype so the jokes apply. Sorry.

Now off the racial stuff, everything aside, he's gotta go. The league is attempting to clean up its "Barbaric Image" and he's been the posterchild of barbarity, over his career. I understand he's fighting an inner battle, but he can't be allowed to take that battle out on players...on national TV. When he hit Hollweg, it was all over the media. You never see jack about hockey, in most markets, until something bad happens.

And to address your comment, Chadd, being a Ranger does give you a certain amount of teflon, but if he were a Ranger, he'd still need to go. I can accept the borderline plays of Avery and Hollweg, but they haven't hurt anyone yet. If and when they do, they deserve to be punished like anyone else.

No worries, I just don't want to be called out as someone who has never seen a Native North American and would be like "zomg where are their bows and arrows?" I have no problem with anyone's background until it becomes an excuse or a shield.

I live arround natives and they never complain about the goverment or anything. some of them are nice some arrent, the same goes for any other race,

I think simon should be out for the rest of the season.

And to address your comment, Chadd, being a Ranger does give you a certain amount of teflon, but if he were a Ranger, he'd still need to go. I can accept the borderline plays of Avery and Hollweg, but they haven't hurt anyone yet. If and when they do, they deserve to be punished like anyone else.

Hollweg gave Simon a concussion on the check from behind just before Simon went barry bonds on him. It's not the first time Hollweg injured someone on a cheap shot, nor will it be the last.

An eye for an eye is that what your saying Chad?

Not all, just that Karma's a bitch. If you're a cheap shot artist, eventually it's going to come back around and bite you in the ass.

I agree that players that take liberties are usually eventually taken advantage of.. Doesnt make it right in any sense but..

I never said it was right, only that bad stuff happens to bad people.

Hollweg gave Simon a concussion on the check from behind just before Simon went barry bonds on him. It's not the first time Hollweg injured someone on a cheap shot, nor will it be the last.

That was marginal at best, and there was no call on the play. Simon clearly overreacted. The "concussion" was invented after the incident to take away from the severity of the Simon Swing.

Another vid...

The d'bag stomped so hard, that his right foot left the ice. I don't think he's taking a leave for therapy. I think the prick might be on a leave for his own safety.

I just hope he steps in a bear trap while he's gone.

What a duster, they NHL lets him go easy enough with the whole Hollweg incident then he stomps on someone foot, like what is it gonna take for this guy to stop this horse shit, IMO someone needs to do it to him then maybe he'll realize somethings fucked up in his head.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=225518&hubname=

But if his "leave" and his suspension overlap have they really punished anyone?

I'd say his 30G should start when he is deemed ready to return.

well, as long as he's on the NHL roster. If Wang is as appauled as he's portraying, he may tell Snow to demote him to the AHL while he's on leave.

At anyrate, He's not practicing while on leave. If he doesnt practice and doesnt play, thats better than not playing IMO.

What makes me laugh is that he says he needs "time away from hockey". Time away? dude has hardly been around hockey the last few seasons because of suspensions.

Too bad. For a while there he was a prime commodity scoring 30 goals and 300 pims. Now he's just a negative headline. He was a guy I looked up to back in his quebec/colorado days. I would always trade for him in the vid games.

Did you see the game against the Pens? Hollweg buttending Kennedy under the visor? No intent to injure I guess?

30 games with no salary...

I beleive this is the longest suspension in the NHL history. He outscored his old "record" of 25 games.

Is this the seventh time he gets suspended?

This guy is a scumbag for sure...